Packing with burros/donkeys

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Fyi

The BLM will adopt you an untrained burro for $25 dollars then send you a $1000 to help take care of it.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
How often do you need to water them? How much weight can they carry?

As a recent convert to llamas those are the differences that I would be interested in.

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
How often do you need to water them? How much weight can they carry?

As a recent convert to llamas those are the differences that I would be interested in.
Personally, My donks are just standard size (not mammoths) so they are comfortable at a trekking weight of 60-80 pounds and heavy out at 100+.

water at least once a day. Sometimes they won’t drink all day if the weather is bad or if grass is wet.

Im sure your well aware but There is no maintenance free pack animal, they all have their limitations. But honestly the biggest difference is they are freaking adorable. Donkey selfies out do llamas every time. :)

check out the YouTube link above- Mountain Ridge Gear has a great blog about hunting with burros as well. It is full of good info. It got me hooked

Reactions: Gr8bawana

Shastaman78

Oct 18, 2019
Mine have worked out great so far. They are BLM burros and had very minimal training when I got them. I’ve only had one for ten months so far. Like Eastmonts they do 60-80 lbs no problem. Just out of the frank church and they did great even with snow. I did have some extra feed packed in by a buddy on this trip.

Attachments

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
When hunting in grizzly country do you do anything in particular to keep them safe?

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
When hunting in grizzly country do you do anything in particular to keep them safe?
I've now done three backcountry hunts with them in griz country around yellowstone park. I do tie a bailing string breakaway onto their highline and leave a AM/FM radio on pretty loud. I stick them near my tent and away from the cooking/eating/bear hang area. I also keep my camp real visible. Thats about it, no problems yet but you never know.

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
Just did a podcast with Brain Barney about packing with burros. Link below-