packing heat with the bow

zachbow

Feb 21, 2011
Arco, Idaho
You guys are probably right about the concealed weapons permit. But I went downt there just assuming I could carry one like I do every where else and then read the regulations. Didnt have time to go get a permit, so I sent it with some friends.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Robinhood, to carry a firearm for the use of hunting during a non firearm hunt is the illegal act, not the carry of a sidearm to protect yourself from unwanted predators and or self protection. If your found to have taken your game animal with your sidearm or to have put it down with your sidearm after a marginal shot was made with your bow or non firearm weapon, then you have breeched the proclamation of the hunt you agreed too.
So in other words, to be found carring a side arm for personal protection while on a hunt, hiking during a hunt season, or just plain standing on a mountain top howling at the moon with a side arm on your belt during a hunt season, the LE personel have no grounds to ticket, cite, or arrest you. Further evidence of intent to use it for reasons not allowed are needed to prosecute.
Not quite true friend.......several states do not allow possession of a firearm while bowhunting....period. Perhaps your state does, therefore this does not apply. However, there have been many folks sentenced and convicted in states where it is illegal to possess a firearm, no matter the reasoning, while bowhunting.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
Robinhood, to carry a firearm for the use of hunting during a non firearm hunt is the illegal act, not the carry of a sidearm to protect yourself from unwanted predators and or self protection. If your found to have taken your game animal with your sidearm or to have put it down with your sidearm after a marginal shot was made with your bow or non firearm weapon, then you have breeched the proclamation of the hunt you agreed too.
So in other words, to be found carring a side arm for personal protection while on a hunt, hiking during a hunt season, or just plain standing on a mountain top howling at the moon with a side arm on your belt during a hunt season, the LE personel have no grounds to ticket, cite, or arrest you. Further evidence of intent to use it for reasons not allowed are needed to prosecute.
Right out of the Utah rules and regulations:
"If you obtain an archery permit, you may not possess or be in control of a firearm—or have a firearm in your camp or motor vehicle—during the archery hunt. The only exceptions to this rule are the following people:
Individuals who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with Utah Code § 53-5-7 (You may not use your concealed firearm to hunt or take protected wildlife.)

I agree with you, in that the life or safety of the individual or family come before an animal. What I am trying to get across is that there are regulations, in some areas like UT, that limit carrying of a firearm on a hunt.
Federal or not, when you apply for that tag and agree to follow the regulations, you are in the jurisdiction of the state wildlife authority, therfore you need to follow the rules you agreed to.

Last edited:

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
The US constitution was written to not be opinion like a lot of liberals think, but to be a constitution that could not be taken away from the people. Any State law cannot supercede federal law. (case and point are state laws making marajuana legal, its still federally illegal and you can, and will go to jail and or prison if found with it) Therefore my right as an American citizen is not an opinion but a federally protected right. I can fight any law that is unconstitutional and injust in any state and will win. Presidence of this particular law has already been set, and as I stated before, my life, the life of my wife, and the life of my kids comes before any obnoxious critters, or any person not willing to respect our lives any place or time I go out in these woods or roads.

307, bill 1126 here in Idaho is also up on the floor to do away with the need for permits to carry for residents too! Montana passed the best laws on firearms yet back in October 2009, but do to media squash of DC liberals most have not heard of it. Take a look at Montanas law thats still in courts between MT and the feds.
I agree that the constitution is not up for interpretation as it's not written in another language and the 2nd Amendment is clear. But I disagree about federal drug laws. The power is not delegated to the federal government to make those laws. Therefor they would fall under the 10th Amendment. :)

I never have carried one, and I don't plan on it. I did have a little bit of a run in with a kitty cat last year that it would have been useful for, and I have had encounters with some bears as well, but I personally feel like it wouldn't be the same for me if it wasn't just me and my bow. Just personal preference I guess. I'm not opposed to guys carrying them, and I think that the laws should allow bow hunters to carry a sidearm if they so choose to.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Right out of the Utah rules and regulations:
"If you obtain an archery permit, you may not possess or be in control of a firearm—or have a firearm in your camp or motor vehicle—during the archery hunt. The only exceptions to this rule are the following people:
Individuals who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon in accordance with Utah Code § 53-5-7 (You may not use your concealed firearm to hunt or take protected wildlife.)

I agree with you, in that the life or safety of the individual or family come before an animal. What I am trying to get across is that there are regulations, in some areas like UT, that limit carrying of a firearm on a hunt.
Federal or not, when you apply for that tag and agree to follow the regulations, you are in the jurisdiction of the state wildlife authority, therfore you need to follow the rules you agreed to.
I know what they say, however here is a quote that supersedes the state laws. Federal law trumps state law when it comes to matters of constitutional rights. Its a damn shame more Americans don't know their rights.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

That is a direct quote of the ENTIRE 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. If a state draws up a law that is contrary to any part of this amendment its an infringement of your rights.
To the extent of the safety of others, I understand laws that limit carry of arms into courts, sporting events, and buildings where Government officials are present. This is so, because the average person cannot control their emotional responses to things they are passionate about. Court cases, officials they truly hate, and yes at times sports teams. If we were all Vulcans, it may be different, but we are not.

I am not arguing the fact that some state laws say what it is they say. The point I am arguing is, a state law cannot infringe on an legal law abiding US citizens rights protected under the US constitution. Thats the whole point of the thing. To protect your rights.
I like many Americans took an oath to protect. That oath oddly enough is first to the country and the constitution, then to the leaders. Its written that way on purpose, so that our pledge to the country comes before the fallible vessel of a man in office. Then the part about threats both foreign and DOMESTIC. This is where the oath to the country comes in to play, as any leader trying to supersede the constitution, or infringe on its rights to the people in any way, then becomes a Domestic Threat to the country, and the people.

Government has gone on too long pretending that they are in charge of the people, and not remembering the people are in charge of the Government. The American public has gotten lazy, letting themselves believe the Government is there to take care of them, feed them, right laws for them, and control them. That was never the intent of the founders of this nation. However, left wing liberals have taken full advantage of the ignorance of the people and capitalized on this leverage for decades. Sadly so have some messed up right wing tax mongers too.
As the people of this country, it is up to us to keep ourselves educated to the laws, the rights, and the order of our lands. And not let the Government take it away from you.
Its up to us to not believe what we see, hear, and read from media and Government press releases. It would make you sick to know the behind the scene truths to what you think you know.
Its up to us to know our elected. Speak to them, write to them, and let them hear your voice, and concerns. Constantly reminding them they are there because you put them there.

Otherwise, we all become sheeple......

Man I got all hot righting this...need to go get my wool sheared for spring.... ;)

IDElker

In Idaho I've been told by game cops that the second amendment allows anyone to carry a gun in the field at any time, if it's archery season only for an animal, it better not have a bullet hole in it. I personally carry a lightweight winchester in 7mm-08 in my eberlestock while bow hunting since bear and cougar any weapon season is open as well. If i'm in the thick of the rut and I know I won't shoot a bear or cougar unless being attacked, I have a semi-auto 45. on my hip

AKinID

Feb 22, 2011
Idaho
Born and raised on Kodiak Island, AK; never have carried a side arm, and probably never will. For me atleast, making sure I don't put myself into situations where run ins with animals occur has always served me. I have had bears come in on me, while I had an animal down; but the first thing I have always done after downing an animal is gut it and get the meat atleast 200 yards away from the guy pile. Every time a bear has come in, it came in to the gut pile; which was unnerving, but it gave me plenty of time to dress the animal and get the meat out before any confrontations had insued. I know and hunt with guys that do carry a side arm while bow hunting, it just isn't for me. Good luck and good hunting to all.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Never felt the need to carry while bowhunting. If I lose a battle to some critter out there and get eaten,,,,, well thats just nature. If I have to fend off some maniac person with my bow, then it will make for one hell of a story.

Feb 21, 2011
Edmonton AB.
I really wish I could here. I hunt in areas with black bear and grizzly bear densities that are the same as, or in some places, higher than coastal Alaska. Last year I saw 8 cougars while bowhunting. One morning while deer hunting I watched 8 grizzlies roam the bowl I had slept in the night before. But I'm not allowed to back a sidearm. So I pack the spray. I'm not dead yet.

hoytnut

Mar 10, 2011
Monticello, Utah
I have never carried one, nor will I carry one unless I ever hunt in Grizzly country. I am always looking to shed weight and my Beretta 9mm weighs too much to take along.

topdog

Apr 15, 2011
It's now legal to carry in Washington, if you have a concealed carry permit, but I always had one in camp. Never carried it in the woods, but really brought it to put down one of my horses, if needed. I don't think I could cut their throat or even use an arrow. The gun just makes sense.

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Not true... to a certain extent. Pick up your CCW permit and you can carry on any hunt any time.
My bad... didnt see the posts on page two before posting, but bigpapacow and RUTTIN are spot on.

Also, any state can tell you its illegal to carry a handgun on a bowhunt as long as it is written in the proclamation. When you apply for a big game tag, you agree to the rules of the proclamation, in not carrying a firearm on a bowhunt. If you dont think so, call the game warden in the state you are hunting and ask.
RobinHood,

Do you carry on NV hunts with a CCW? This has always been an issue for me because from my understanding you can't in NV no matter what and a can of bear spray doesn't give me as much comfort as my 40 would. I was thinking of calling NDOW to get clarification but if you know what they would tell me I would appreciate some insight. Thanks

westernwannabe

Apr 15, 2011
Southeast, Ohio
BigSirArcher Are you serious? You know there are no do overs when that cat or bear eats you. Not the part of nature I want to see! AKinID no disrespect but just because you've done something a hundred times and got away with it, doesn't mean it won't ever happen. It only takes one time! Game over! These are animals they don't always act the way they should we all know that. Carry the bear spray and the gun!

Last edited: