packing heat with the bow

300Weatherby

Feb 24, 2011
Northern, Utah
im just wondering how many of you take a side arm with when you go on a back country bow hunt? the way i look at it is. Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it

mthuntress

Mar 2, 2011
Dillon,MT
My 357 is always with me hunting season or not.Use to only carry bear spray until six years ago when a can failed and I had a griz track me for three hours{only by the grace of God I lived};if I hadn't known the hunting area like the back of my hand I'd still be on that mountian.

zachbow

Feb 21, 2011
Arco, Idaho
I carry my 41 mag in states where its legal, but some states like Utah you cant even have one in your truck or camp while your hunting. I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it anyways, so its really to shoot myself if the bear is eating me. But it makes me feel better to have it.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
The US constitution says all Americans have the right to keep and bear arms. No state can tell you that its illegal to carry a firearm while your hunting without being unconstitutional.
I carry one regardless of any hunting law, bow hunting, hiking, or just out for a drive in the woods. No states laws are going to stop me from doing so either.
If it comes to my life, my families life, over a predator thats hell bent on being obnoxious, or just a backwoods hillbilly that cant keep to himself, its there to protect.
Next time a hopped up park ranger tries to tell you otherwise, just ask him why he has one strapped to his hip during hunting season? Last I checked LE peeps took an oath to uphold the law not break it.
Man firearm laws get me so riled up its not funny.

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
Hey wolf, you can't just ignore laws that you don't like. You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to pick and choose which laws to follow.

bigpapacow

Mar 8, 2011
Eagle Mountain, UT
You can carry in Utah while bowhunting if you have a concealed carry permit, either a Utah permit or one that Utah has a reciprocity agreement with...Doesn't have to be concealed either...

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
You can carry in Utah while bowhunting if you have a concealed carry permit, either a Utah permit or one that Utah has a reciprocity agreement with...Doesn't have to be concealed either...
Like bigpapa said as long as you have your concealed you can carry during the archery hunt. That is the main reason I have one, I carry a Taurus Judge, with a 410 you have got to be close, so I figure if I have to use it they are gonna be close. As far as the laws of being under 18, you have to be 21 to get a concealed permit in Utah, so you might be out of luck carrying on the archery hunt.

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
I carry my 41 mag in states where its legal, but some states like Utah you cant even have one in your truck or camp while your hunting. I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it anyways, so its really to shoot myself if the bear is eating me. But it makes me feel better to have it.
Not true... to a certain extent. Pick up your CCW permit and you can carry on any hunt any time.
My bad... didnt see the posts on page two before posting, but bigpapacow and RUTTIN are spot on.

Also, any state can tell you its illegal to carry a handgun on a bowhunt as long as it is written in the proclamation. When you apply for a big game tag, you agree to the rules of the proclamation, in not carrying a firearm on a bowhunt. If you dont think so, call the game warden in the state you are hunting and ask.

Last edited:

307Wapiti

Mar 11, 2011
Wyoming
Then there's the great State of Wyoming where we have folks actively trying to pass legislation that allows anyone to carry a concealed weapon. Of course there are exceptions, like government buildings, and schools and the like . . .

The fact that I do not yet own a sidearm is the reason I haven't applied for the deer area I would really like to hunt. Some parts of Wyoming have a Grizz infestation and those things just freak me out a bit.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I've been bowhunting critters for over 35 years......never had the need for a handgun yet. I'm simply a bowhunter.

Last edited:

goatpoop

Feb 22, 2011
I carry my .454 casull whenever I'm in griz country. I know the thing weighs 6 pounds but I will be glad that I have it when I surprise a griz on an elk carcass or whatever other situation a griz decides to attack me.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Hey wolf, you can't just ignore laws that you don't like. You have the right to your opinion, but you don't have the right to pick and choose which laws to follow.
The US constitution was written to not be opinion like a lot of liberals think, but to be a constitution that could not be taken away from the people. Any State law cannot supercede federal law. (case and point are state laws making marajuana legal, its still federally illegal and you can, and will go to jail and or prison if found with it) Therefore my right as an American citizen is not an opinion but a federally protected right. I can fight any law that is unconstitutional and injust in any state and will win. Presidence of this particular law has already been set, and as I stated before, my life, the life of my wife, and the life of my kids comes before any obnoxious critters, or any person not willing to respect our lives any place or time I go out in these woods or roads.

307, bill 1126 here in Idaho is also up on the floor to do away with the need for permits to carry for residents too! Montana passed the best laws on firearms yet back in October 2009, but do to media squash of DC liberals most have not heard of it. Take a look at Montanas law thats still in courts between MT and the feds.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Not true... to a certain extent. Pick up your CCW permit and you can carry on any hunt any time.
My bad... didnt see the posts on page two before posting, but bigpapacow and RUTTIN are spot on.

Also, any state can tell you its illegal to carry a handgun on a bowhunt as long as it is written in the proclamation. When you apply for a big game tag, you agree to the rules of the proclamation, in not carrying a firearm on a bowhunt. If you dont think so, call the game warden in the state you are hunting and ask.
Robinhood, to carry a firearm for the use of hunting during a non firearm hunt is the illegal act, not the carry of a sidearm to protect yourself from unwanted predators and or self protection. If your found to have taken your game animal with your sidearm or to have put it down with your sidearm after a marginal shot was made with your bow or non firearm weapon, then you have breeched the proclamation of the hunt you agreed too.
So in other words, to be found carring a side arm for personal protection while on a hunt, hiking during a hunt season, or just plain standing on a mountain top howling at the moon with a side arm on your belt during a hunt season, the LE personel have no grounds to ticket, cite, or arrest you. Further evidence of intent to use it for reasons not allowed are needed to prosecute.

bullelk

Mar 1, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I carry a .44 with me at all times when elk hunting. We have a lot of grizzlies in our area, and I have only had one close encounter (at our cabin), but I will not take the risk.