Pack weight? Who weighs theirs and how much?

HIcountryman

Nov 30, 2019
CO
Horse outfitter weighed my pack at the trailhead in 2018: 64 # with muzzleloader , binocs 10 x 42, spotting scope, tripod, food, 3 L water, xtra clothes, tent, pad, bag... all hunting stuff for 10 days. Trying to shave pounds each year. Got a little lighter in sleeping pad and bag in 2019 and took less extra clothes.
Looking at a new tent that will shave weight off - Big Agnes tiger wall 3P for me and my brother this year. Will use it on backpacking trips with the family too, this year.
I have grown accustomed to this weight. It's nice to load it with a fully boned out deer: quarters, + ribs, shanks, heart, cape and head - pack it to car/cooler, then come back for camp. I have busted out with camp in the dark, or stayed another night soaking up the starlight and appreciating my aching muscles. The pack out at sixty pounds feels quite comfortable after a heavy load of deer.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ill weigh mine when i get home.. I run a non standard Kifaru set up with an essential kit, hunt kit, emergency kit, food ( 1 day) and water 95% of the time. Hunt from a base camp.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Nice breakdowns here guys! I too am looking into the shelter and sleeping bag to spend a night somewhere if needed. Other than that I've compared my list to just about every single one posted on here and some special input from Slugz and don't see where I can cut any more weight and still be as prepared as I want to be. Ultimately my pack/rifle equates to about 1/3 of my body weight haha. To me its simple, be in peak physical condition and the pack will be your last concern.
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

Reactions: Timr245

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I updated my scouting/general backpacking list using a nice free tool called LighterPack.com:

For three days this is a good load for most seasons in Colorado, down to about 25F overnight (35F comfortably). I have a 0F bag and some other things I swap in if I'm expecting colder weather.

I just got an Eberlestock J34 "Just One Pack" from another forum member here. I'm excited to try it out next year. Right now I have too many packs: backpacking vs. hunting, day vs. multi-day trip setups, etc. I'm always worried I'm going to forget something. My hope is this setup will let me get down to just two packs: one for all general use (backpacking out of season, hunting, etc.) and one lumbar pack set up as a grab-and-go for upland game.

I'll post the final setup here once I get it all repacked. The J34 is really nice because it has a removable duffel that slides into the main compartment. You can pack your multi-day/overnight gear into that, then pull it out and leave it at camp to make the remaining portion into a day pack/meat hauler. I really like the idea - we'll see how it goes in 2020.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Browntrout55

Feb 8, 2019
Priest River Idaho
I usually run around 70lbsfor a week. I’m trying to get down but old habits die hard. I’m used to an Alice pack but I have a stone glacier sky talus now. I like it but the straps seem vulnerable to be. But, they have held up great so far. I had and Eberlestock in Afghanistan so I could carry my M40 A 5 but it was garbage. It could barely carry 20lbs. I do not know what the model was and I’m sure it was underpowered for what I was using, not knocking Eberlestock. I’m sure in the right situ they are great. I do like Mystery Ranch also, but why are a little pretentious. Alice Rucks are hard to beat

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I'm sitting at 12.8lbs currently. Water will add around 3lbs and another pound or so of daily food. I'm running an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with 2 batwing pouches, rifle scabbard, small accessory case, and pack mounted shooting rest. Rifle weighs exactly 9lbs and binos will be another 29oz attached. So all total I'll be around 28lbs. Ive carried this exact setup but with a heavier gun for 6 miles/day with ease, love the pack frame.
This is the same pack style I run, minus the rifle scabbard. Throw in my spotter, small tripod, game bags, food and water and I bet I'm right around 22 lbs total.

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I'm a pack geek and a spreadsheet geek, too. A number of years ago after going on a 7 day hunt, 8 miles into the Wind River Range in WY with a 65 lb pack (without water, mind you), I made it my mission to lighten up the load with better gear. Over the course of a few trips and spreadsheet analysis from pre-weighed items that I'm constantly adding to my list options, I was able to shave 30 lbs off my multi-day pack for a 7 day trip! Total game changer, especially if you don't have to pack in water. I HATE packing in water.

For day trips, my pack is usually in that 20-25 lb range max, depending on the time of year. Obviously, early season requires less "just in case" clothing for day hunts than the later season hunts do. My personal favorite day hunting setup is my Eberlestock Mainframe (tall version) and batwings. It is minimal and quiet with the ability to pack out a ton of weight if need by after tagging an elk or deer.

One of the problems with ultra, ultra lightweight gear is the noise. To get that lightweight the fabrics are very thin and lightweight, making day hunting with some of the gear on a bit of a challenge, especially for bowhunters.

Besides lightening the load in my pack, I've gravitated toward really lightweight footwear. The old adage of a pound on your feet is like 10 in your pack is so true. My first pack trip when I wore lightweight hikers (the Zamberlan Yerens at the time, now I wear their Trail Lites), I was dumbfounded at how much energy I still had once we got into our spot to glass. Usually I would be wiped out and ready to sit on my butt and stay behind the glass for most of a day, but changing to lighter boots opened my mind to the benefits of lighter boots. Even when temps drop, light boots with good gators will take me comfortably into temps down to about 20 degrees F.

Reactions: Bonecollector

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This is the same pack style I run, minus the rifle scabbard. Throw in my spotter, small tripod, game bags, food and water and I bet I'm right around 22 lbs total.
For day hunts I am pretty similar, I have some first aid equipment as well.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Dudes definitely get into the weeds on this topic for sure... I get the geeking out but I don't obsess over what my day pack weighs I just carry what I need and don't worry about it. Backcountry hunts are another matter though.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Dudes definitely get into the weeds on this topic for sure... I get the geeking out but I don't obsess over what my day pack weighs I just carry what I need and don't worry about it. Backcountry hunts are another matter though.
Lol, you mean you don't gotta count ounces on a day hunt that takes you less than 2 miles from the truck?

My day pack list: kill kit, owie kit, poo poo paper, treats, water bottle w/steripen (in case I get thirsty) and a hoody (in case I get cold)

Reactions: THelms

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Pretty sure thats really all it is haha. I run 20-30 miles/wk and weight train 5-6 days, it’s not really an issue, but no need to make things any harder than they have to be.
This is very true. If I weren't waiting on a baby that is due tomorrow and the associated basement remodel I would probably be tinkering with pack weight and have hauled the kids up the mountain for a training hike or two.

What pack has everyone settled in to?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Way to resurrect an age-old topic. Perfect timing. :)

I'm playing with a new setup this year, going ultralight. I still have my day-pack, meat hauler, and multi-day setups. But this year I'm playing with a Mountainsmith Tour, which I believe is 9L. It's a "lumbar pack" but basically a glorified fanny pack. All I have is a snack, small first aid kit, and field dressing kit plus water. It's 5lbs altogether and I barely know it's there. Great for run-and-gun setups. The area I'll be hunting will be quiet stalks of watering holes morning and evening within a mile or two of camp, and timber-crawls during the day. Should be a good setup.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
^^

I used to use a glorified fanny pack. It was a pretty good pack and I shot much better with that one on than I do a standard backpack. It was also easier getting through the bark timber with it. I eventually blew the zippers out of it and got a badlands and have used it ever since. I decided against going with a backpack style to get the weights closer to my back. I did like the fact that space was limited so you didn't feel the need to carry luxury items. Back then the guys I hunted with carried the jet boils and stopped for "coffee breaks" every hour on the hour. It was pretty annoying.