Pack weight? Who weighs theirs and how much?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
For my September day pack I run a Kifaru frame + web netting on the back + drink holder on one belt + small sack on the other belt + 2 small sacks. I'm able to carry my essential kit, hunt kit and kill kit and get in at 14-16lbs.

Essential kit - tag, pen, wind bottle, lighter, blister tape, headlamp, flashlight, aaa batteries for back up, lip balm, protein bar, trail mix, peanut butter, bacon, honey and jelly sandwich on whole wheat, jerkey, 64 oz of water, wipes, h2o filter, MTN OPS Enduro single packs x2

Hunt kit - rangefinder, trek poles, bugle tube, calls, bino case, jacket, GPS

Kill kit - game bags (TAG boned out) para cord, knife, flag ribbon, extra headlamp, extra batteries, phone/camera

Ever since I went to the above I found myself being able to go over the "next ridge" more often.......and as we all know...a lot of the time that is all it takes to get into animals because the other 10 guys before you.....didnt:)

Last edited:

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I know I could trim down some weight on my hunting pack but I like to enjoy my time out. I could pare down some by leaving the extra small flashlight or the small camera (don't have or want a smart phone). I also have my Grandfather's knife that I have carried on every hunt in the last 45 years. Even though the Outdoor Edge gets the most use. I ALWAYS have my rain gear, at least the jacket. When I'm bowhunting, I always carry a small repair kit with extra broadheads and sharpener. I have several large plastic bags and a 5' square of Tyvek that can be used for a ground cloth or butchering area. The bags can be used to sink the meat in a creek to help cooling as it is hot in September sometimes. As for pure luxury, I carry a small thermos with coffee as well as my little Snowpeak backpacking stove with the titanium cook set it fits in. Nothing like a fresh cup of coffee in the afternoon or some hot soup.
But truth be known, if I pared it down to just the absolute essentials it would still weigh in about 18 lbs. and I don't care to rough it anymore.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
For 2-3 day scouting trips i hover around 35lbs with full water, food, 77mm spotter etc... I'm ok with being a little heavier than i could be, Because i just consider it training for hunting season. On a 5-6 day hunt I leave the house roughly about 50lbs full with water. I use an EXO 5500 k2 frame. The one thing i now carry with me every trip and the extra 1lb is worth its weight in gold? My Helinox chair zero! It's amazing what having a chair will do for your morale Haha. I use it glassing, at camp etc. Makes life much more enjoyable for the amount of time i spend in the highcountry. Last summer and fall, i did close to 40 days living out of my backpack, so I'm ok with a little extra weight to make my life happier up there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Day pack is typically less than 12#

Overnight 2 nights for deer is about 32# I never camp out elk hunting, I don?t venture far enough to have to.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
My Helinox chair zero! It's amazing what having a chair will do for your morale

I agree on the chair. You can only lean up against so many things. I can last so many more comfortable days in the field with a chair.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have the Helinox cot. Its nice. Keeps me from shouldering tree roots all night long and it works well with an insulated sleeping pad.

I would imagine their chair is pretty nice too!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My buddy makes me chuckle. Hes a monster of a guy so this pack conglomeration picture doesn't do things justice... I dont know what this one weighed but it was freaking heavy....

IMG_3942.jpg

Then there is me...chugging along with my crappy pack frame that kills my shoulders and back.. lol

Im getting a new pack soon. Tossing this one in the buddy bargain bin.

IMG_3946.jpg

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
my standard day pack w snacks and water/gaterade for a standard fall day of hunting I got trimmed down to about 12 lbs total,,,kuiu icon pro 1850 pack + basic gear and game bags/knives,ect,,,I got a small scall and weighed it out a year ago trimming everything I could do without.of coarse it would go up a little in bad weather,,,or for a overniter.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My buddy makes me chuckle. Hes a monster of a guy so this pack conglomeration picture doesn't do things justice... I dont know what this one weighed but it was freaking heavy....

View attachment 23152

Then there is me...chugging along with my crappy pack frame that kills my shoulders and back.. lol

View attachment 23153
That bottom pic looks familiar :)

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

View attachment 23152

View attachment 23153
That pack load looks painful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kamptown

Nov 19, 2016

So this was sans tent and sleeping apparel, and about half the meat and the hide. I don?t think I could have made it in one trip without help. This was around 60-80# of Goat and 25# of pack and contents. Fully loaded for this hunt last year with 6 days of food and rifle, optics, total weight with me on the scale was 50#. Normal pack runs 20-25# depending on the time of year not counting rifle or bow. Pack weighs about 6#.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I'm right at 30# for 7 days for high country mule deer with spotter and tripod. Elk hunting is lighter since I don't bring spotter and tripod. This excludes weapon, water, and food. With everything including food, water, and weapon I'm just over 50 pounds for 7 full days. I too have a excel spreadsheet with each line item and it's weight. It helps a ton to mark what is needed, what isnt, and what I may need to buy to get a lighter pack. For me it is sleeping pad and tripod are the biggest ones that will drop me a couple pounds minimum.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'm right at 30# for 7 days for high country mule deer with spotter and tripod. Elk hunting is lighter since I don't bring spotter and tripod. This excludes weapon, water, and food. With everything including food, water, and weapon I'm just over 50 pounds for 7 full days. I too have a excel spreadsheet with each line item and it's weight. It helps a ton to mark what is needed, what isnt, and what I may need to buy to get a lighter pack. For me it is sleeping pad and tripod are the biggest ones that will drop me a couple pounds minimum.
That?s a fantastic weight I?d love to see your Excel sheet to compare notes if you wouldn?t mind posting. Always looking to improve

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
UPDATE: I recently picked up an Eberlestock Nosegunner & pack suspension kit, seems great at initial setup. So with that attached, filled with binos & my kimber w/loaded mag, along with rangefinder I came in at 18.3lbs. Add 3-4lbs for water and food and a 9lb rifle gets me right around 30. I love my mainframe and its well distributed so no complaints here. C’mon October!!