Pack weight? Who weighs theirs and how much?

HIcountryman

Nov 30, 2019
CO
Horse outfitter weighed my pack at the trailhead in 2018: 64 # with muzzleloader , binocs 10 x 42, spotting scope, tripod, food, 3 L water, xtra clothes, tent, pad, bag... all hunting stuff for 10 days. Trying to shave pounds each year. Got a little lighter in sleeping pad and bag in 2019 and took less extra clothes.
Looking at a new tent that will shave weight off - Big Agnes tiger wall 3P for me and my brother this year. Will use it on backpacking trips with the family too, this year.
I have grown accustomed to this weight. It's nice to load it with a fully boned out deer: quarters, + ribs, shanks, heart, cape and head - pack it to car/cooler, then come back for camp. I have busted out with camp in the dark, or stayed another night soaking up the starlight and appreciating my aching muscles. The pack out at sixty pounds feels quite comfortable after a heavy load of deer.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ill weigh mine when i get home.. I run a non standard Kifaru set up with an essential kit, hunt kit, emergency kit, food ( 1 day) and water 95% of the time. Hunt from a base camp.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Nice breakdowns here guys! I too am looking into the shelter and sleeping bag to spend a night somewhere if needed. Other than that I've compared my list to just about every single one posted on here and some special input from Slugz and don't see where I can cut any more weight and still be as prepared as I want to be. Ultimately my pack/rifle equates to about 1/3 of my body weight haha. To me its simple, be in peak physical condition and the pack will be your last concern.
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

Reactions: Timr245

taskswap

Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I updated my scouting/general backpacking list using a nice free tool called LighterPack.com:

For three days this is a good load for most seasons in Colorado, down to about 25F overnight (35F comfortably). I have a 0F bag and some other things I swap in if I'm expecting colder weather.

I just got an Eberlestock J34 "Just One Pack" from another forum member here. I'm excited to try it out next year. Right now I have too many packs: backpacking vs. hunting, day vs. multi-day trip setups, etc. I'm always worried I'm going to forget something. My hope is this setup will let me get down to just two packs: one for all general use (backpacking out of season, hunting, etc.) and one lumbar pack set up as a grab-and-go for upland game.

I'll post the final setup here once I get it all repacked. The J34 is really nice because it has a removable duffel that slides into the main compartment. You can pack your multi-day/overnight gear into that, then pull it out and leave it at camp to make the remaining portion into a day pack/meat hauler. I really like the idea - we'll see how it goes in 2020.

Reactions: Bonecollector