"Old" Members Introduction (with pics)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Texas hog.jpgBuck from orchard.jpg2012 Wyoming antelope and Roger 2.jpgWyoming hunting 050.jpg

I guess I'm the oldster here, age wise! Been a member for 2 or 3 years, can't really remember when I actually started posting.

I am 74, my given name is Roger, been married for 52 years (this Oct) and have a son 50. I was born and raised in southern California, my relatives came there before the gold rush. I went to the University of Southern California on a football scholarship. Graduated and spent 40 years as a Research Engineer in aerospace. Worked on the Apollo, Space Shuttle, B1, B2 and several other classified programs. Loved my job, never a dull moment. I was lucky to work in the aerospace industry during a period of discovery and innovation. I was diagnosed with Rectal Cancer in 1995, went thru surgery, chemo & radiation, it came back in my rt lung in 1976. I was told I had a 1 in 10 chance of making it 5 years. After 5 years the Drs told me I had it beat. Retired immediately in 2000 and moved to SW Colorado. Had my wakeup call & now it was time to live the rest of my life. Its been almost 21 years and I thank God every day for the rest of my life.

I have hunted and fished all over North America. My Dad started me hunting when I was 8, shooting at doves! I love wilderness backcountry hunting. I've done somewhere between 25 and 30 trips for mostly deer and a few elk. Celebrated my 70th bd with a trip to Thorofare in Wy. It was a 32 mile, 9 1/2 hour ride into camp....a real adventure, but the elk hunting didn't live up to its reputation. I had a 30' boat that I did lots of fishing in. Cruised it to Cabo and up the Sea of Cortez many times. Did lots of diving & fishing on it for 25 years.

I am a rifle hunter and do lots of muzzle load hunting too. I have been a competitive shooter for over 50 years. Shot trap. skeet, benchrest, 1000 yard bp, bulls eye pistol and Cowboy Action. I am a NRA Certified RSO, Rifle & Pistol Instructor. Love reloading, do a little stockwork and raise some hay in my spare time.

If you notice the 2nd pix, it is of a buck mule deer I shot a few years back in my apple orchard. Just average rack, but the body was unbelievable! After it was skinned, feet/legs off head off, the carcass
weighed 204#. One of the best eating deer I have ever tasted. Probably the biggest bodied deer I have ever shot. Was a neck shot, so no wasted meat!

This forum is a wonderful place to share ideas, ask questions and learn some new things!

Last edited:

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Now that we have a place for new members to introduce themselves, I thought it might be cool for us "old" members to have a thread to introduce ourselves too! How about also posting a picture of ourselves. I would never know half of you guys if we bumped into each other out elk hunting! At a later date, you can always come back and edit your pic and introduction if ya want too.

If IKIC likes the idea, he can make this a sticky so the new members can easily see who they are talking to.

I'll start in the next post.
I guess I qualify as an old member (2/21/11) I think I was among the first to sign up on this site, but don't get on very much anymore.
Anyway I'm a 63 year old native Oregonian, born in southern Or and now live in NE Or. Lifelong hunter, but have never hunted outside the state. Pendleton2011 009.jpgPendleton2011 009.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
In real life, I'm Brad to most. I've lived nearly all of my life in the Kansas City area, where I've got a serious addiction to killing deer, and stacking up gobblers and ducks. When I'm not playing, I work for a high net worth niche insurance company. I spend a bunch of time in the office, but they give me more time to play than I deserve.
This May will mark my 5th wedding anniversary, I'm still not really sure what I did to deserve the good fortune of finding a woman that would put up with my nonsense. No kids at this point, but I'm sure that'll change sooner or later.
I didn't get bit by the Western bug until 4 years ago, which is a shame, cause I'd have a pile of points by now, if I knew better.. I'm still waiting for my first elk, but it'll come in due time, I've passed up opportunities on cows, waiting for that elusive bull.

Pictures are of my three biggest whitetails, a 3man limit of greenheads (2 bands that day, none were mine...), and two gobblers that I called in for my wife and my best friend, maybe 15 minutes and a mile apart.

DSC_0248.jpg DSC_0297.jpgDSC00022.jpgDSCN0275.jpgDSCN0411.jpg

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My name is Sam, I am 39 years old, been married for 14 years, and have a daughter (12) and 2 sons (10&7). Love to fish and hunt and teaching my kids how to be the best outdoorsmen they can be. My main passion is bowhunting, primarily for whitetail, but have been fortunate to take an elk, moose, mulies, and a caribou. I've killed 42 whitetail with the bow, but have yet to kill a true trophy buck, my biggest being 125". We eat a lot of venison in our house, and process every animal I kill. My Dad is still my main hunting partner, and at 72 yrs he's been with me through a lot of hunts. I've hunted big-game in Washington, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota, Missouri, Kansas, Idaho, Ontario, and Quebec. Not heavily into the points game out West yet, other than moose, goat, and sheep in Montana, but look forward to the time my boys are ready to bowhunt elk and mulies with me. My greatest hunting accomplishment has been guiding my oldest son to take 2 bucks and 2 turkeys.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for the intro's. Kind of nice to read when you haven't been around very long. Cool to put a name with a face! Some of you I even recognize from past magazine articles!

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
My name is Garald, go by Gabe to my friends (you can all call me Gabe). I am 37, been married for 17 years, have one boy (14) and three girls (3,8,11). Love to archery hunt, in fact I don't even own a rifle. I love to hunt mule deer, elk, and as of the last few years have been bit by the turkey bug (we finally have enough turkeys to hunt where I live). Was in the very first issue of Eastmans Bowhunting Journal. Been here on the forum almost since the day it started, but have found myself being more of a lurker lately. I love the learn from all of you in your different posts.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Hello everyone, I am know as elktrout here but my name is Corey Woodman! I live in Parker, CO. Just like many of you here, I have a passion for hunting the west. I have been hunting as long as I can remember. In addition to hunting big game I also enjoy upland birds and waterfowl. And when all seasons are closed I can usually be found on a river with a fly rod in my hand. But the best part about it all is that my wife is out doing it all with me. This is a great forum with some great people. Very glad to be a part of it.
Biggest bull so far

Biggest buck

And my wife's first buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 14, 2012
Minnesota
I have to agree, there are many nice animals taken. The whitetails look pretty big. Do you own some hunting property by Kansas City, or where do you hunt whitetails?

Ruttin was the velvet muley what got you in EBJ? That is a monster.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Here was my first post on Eastman's Forums right when the forum was still a wet cryin' baby:

Hello from Western Montana. I am a long time Eastman's subscriber and occasional story submitter, and have been waiting for a Eastman's forum like this for some time. I have a bit of an optics obsession.

My favorite hunts are

1. Backpack high country mule deer.
2. Horseback elk.

I look forward to learning from other members here!

Thanks,

Matt
All of that is still true, but I will add also that I am a public servant, freelance writer, happily married father of 5. I was born and raised in MT, but I have hunted several Western States and Alaska, always DIY.

And oh yeah, that DYI means "Do Yourself In" line was mine, coined right here on EF, so don't let that weasely Drhorsepower take credit for it!

:)

Here is a face to go with the name: