Official Post Padding Thread

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
expect nothing and you will never be disapointed . :D

since yer here go ahead and pick the fat you wants ta chew on.
First elk hunt I ever went on was in 2004 archery elk by Island Park, Idaho. Literally seen elk all 15 days we were there hunting, had lots of chances, but I was stupid green on elk. If I could come across elk like that today, I probably still wouldn't kill one, LOL!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
First elk hunt I ever went on was in 2004 archery elk by Island Park, Idaho. Literally seen elk all 15 days we were there hunting, had lots of chances, but I was stupid green on elk. If I could come across elk like that today, I probably still wouldn't kill one, LOL!
I have had many chances in the archery but only a couple kills. seems they always find that one tree or shrub to block your shot. still , can't think of anything more fun then archery elk in the rut. even when you fail , it is epic!

nothing makes the heart go pitter pat like when a huge bull comes crashing in bugling and blowing snot.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
all in all sounds like a pretty good trip.

around here the elks behavior has certainly changed with the wolf. they tend to come down to the flatlands about a month sooner then they used to.
I have also noticed that they tend to stay closer to the deep pools in the river in the winter . was told it was so they could get in the water to escape the wolves harrassment. don't know if that is true or not but it is for sure something they didn't used to do.
The guide we hunted with said that the wolves made the elk in that area a lot less vocal and therefore a lot harder to locate. I took his word for it, we were there around September 20th and never heard a bugle. I would do it again though, I really enjoyed the whole trip.

Reactions: kidoggy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The first time I drew an elk tag in Wyoming we went for the archery season and we literally were surrounded by elk within an hour of getting there. Couldn’t close the deal on any, got caught up in the excitement and made just about every mistake a person could make. Having a bull screaming at me from less than 50 yards hooked me for life though. I still suck at it but I’ll keep trying.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
The first time I drew an elk tag in Wyoming we went for the archery season and we literally were surrounded by elk within an hour of getting there. Couldn’t close the deal on any, got caught up in the excitement and made just about every mistake a person could make. Having a bull screaming at me from less than 50 yards hooked me for life though. I still suck at it but I’ll keep trying.
I hiked in the first afternoon, maybe a mile like 2 p.m. I cow call once, within 5 minutes a 5x5 and a 3x4 come busting out into the meadow, but kept to about 60 yards. I could believe it, pretty much the rest of the trip was like that, but just couldn't get the elk to 40 yards or under.

Funniest thing of the trip was negotiating the cabin price. Don't remember the name of the place, but it was a restaurant, bar, and cabins. We ask the gal that was running the bar what it would cost for a cabin with 3 beds for 15 days. She didn't really come up with a number, so my buddy just throws out $30 a night. She says, no way, that's not enough! Then wait for it, she said, how about $300 for the 15 nights. Not each, total. We paid $100 a guy for a furnished 3 bedroom, full kitchen, full bathroom cabin. It was awesome, and she obviously didn't know how to do math, LOL!

Last edited:

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I hiked in the first afternoon, maybe a mile like 2 p.m. I cow call once, within 5 minutes a 5x5 and a 3x4 come busting out into the meadow, but kept to about 60 yards. I could believe it, pretty much the rest of the trip was like that, but just couldn't get the elk to 40 yards or under.

Funniest thing of the trip was negotiating the cabin price. Don't remember the name of the place, but it was a restaurant, bar, and cabins. We ask the gal that was running the bar what it would cost for a cabin with 3 beds for 15 days. She didn't really come up with a number, so my buddy just throws out $30 a night. She says, no way, that's not enough! Then wait for it, she said, how about $300 for the 15 nights. Not each, total. We paid $100 a guy for a furnished 3 bedroom, full kitchen, full bathroom cabin. It was awesome, and she obviously didn't know how to do math, LOL!
That’s hilarious! I wonder if she’s still in business.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
That’s hilarious! I wonder if she’s still in business.
Curiosity got the best of me. I looked on Google maps and the place is called Pond's Lodge now, I'd be shocked if she's still part of it, but who knows!
We weren't around there during the day much, but it was beautiful right along the river. We seen moose all over the place too, I actually picked up a nice paddle from the previous spring, it was still in good shape.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
We stop at Pond's for lunch sometimes while snowmobiling out of Island Park. I've never stayed there, but it looks like a decent place and the food is good.
That's how we found this whole area, my friends dad and mom went there a couple years in a row snowmobiling, got talking to a few local, and they kept talking about how great the elk hunting was there. So, off we went, and at that time it was amazing. I've heard with wolves and grizzlies, it's nothing that it once was now though.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
That's how we found this whole area, my friends dad and mom went there a couple years in a row snowmobiling, got talking to a few local, and they kept talking about how great the elk hunting was there. So, off we went, and at that time it was amazing. I've heard with wolves and grizzlies, it's nothing that it once was now though.
yup .wolves an griz kilt most of em. nothing left but us ideehoans.

there are definitely less elk throughout the state in wolf populated units but the hunting is still good for those who can adapt to the new reality . same folks who were killers twenty years ago are still killers today and the majority of those who used to eat tag soup every year still do.

Reactions: dan maule

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Can’t help but wonder what role the beer played in him getting stuck under the ATV in the first place.
There are times that stuff like that just happens.

I was driving down a dirt road one day on mine and the next thing I knew it was over on its side on top of my left leg. I just pushed it up and off with my right leg and stood up wondering what in the blue blazes just happened. To this day I have some idea of what happened but I am still not sure.

My only problem was that I didn't have any Keystone lite, all I had was a quart of water on me.

Reactions: dan maule

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
There are times that stuff like that just happens.

I was driving down a dirt road one day on mine and the next thing I knew it was over on its side on top of my left leg. I just pushed it up and off with my right leg and stood up wondering what in the blue blazes just happened. To this day I have some idea of what happened but I am still not sure.

My only problem was that I didn't have any Keystone lite, all I had was a quart of water on me.
Yeah, I’ve had a few incidents with ATVs over the years myself, as soon as I get confident and let my guard down I get humbled!

Reactions: marcusvdk