Official Post Padding Thread

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Who would want to go to Arizona during the summer for a vacation? The last time that I was down there in August it was 110 degrees at 10 pm and we couldn't get out of Phoenix fast enough.

It is the pits that they have restrictions on going anywhere in the hills where it is a little cooler. Perhaps a trip down to Nogalas and watch them inspect vehicles and chase down boarder jumpers.

When I was a kit I always enjoyed heading out onto the desert around Douglas hunting lizards with a BB gun.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I hope they get some of those fires contained soon. Colorado Cowboy may be in trouble with the fire near Durango, Co.
Wife and I went to Durango yesterday to Ft. Lewis College. Man it was smoky, hard to breath. Last week we went to Vallecito Res to look at the lake level as we are going there in a couple of weeks camping and fishing with friends from Calif. Lake is really low. Snowpack was less than 50% of normal. Lake was as low as I have ever seen it for the end of May. It looked like what it does at the end of irrigation season in late summer/early fall.Vallicito-May 2018 001.jpgVallicito-May 2018 002.jpgVallicito-May 2018 003.jpg
These pictures are of the rv park we stay in, water is usually right up to the rv pads....not this year!
I live 50 miles west of Durango and we have had several fires around here too, lightning strikes started them. Really dry, no open fires in any of the counties and National Forests down here.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
How about fishing in the White Mountains? I'm sure the lakes in the Nat. Forest are still good to fish. We've always had good luck at Big Lake and the smaller lakes around it. Also on the Indian Reservation lake.
Also Nelson res. near Eagar/Springervile, Greer Lakes are close by as well and Luna Lake by Alpine.
It's high enough there that the highs for next week are in the upper 80's which is nice compared to the 105 in Phoenix.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
in febuary I went to a funeral of a friend of the family. A friend there had the cancer look. He just passed.
it sucks that as we get older, we have more and more funerals to go to. RIP Buck. You where the best dressed hunter I ever knew.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is also bad that the first thing that you look at when you open up a newspaper or go online to one is the obituary page.

My high school has a group on FB that covers 4 years. Just about once a week a class mate or their spouse has passed away.

One of the problems with getting old.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
jim

I have to laugh, I own a furniture store and monthy we put an add in the obituaries for lift chairs. morbid, but effective.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Adds like that work, and I wouldn't call it morbid but you are targeting a specific customer and a lot of us that are getting up there in years could use something like that.

Even today I could use a lift chair after working outside all morning. It is funny that how things that you used to do in a day now take a week to accomplish. A lot like hunting. I used to be able to run up hills, I then started to just walk up them, and now I just mossy up them. I have found that the sower I go up them the more animals I see.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
jim

I have a feeling you will forget more about hunting than the some of the studs on here will ever learn. Some of you old timers just have so much expierence chasing animals. Kudos to you!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
We had another mauling up here in Eagle River. A man went missing and a search was on. One of the searchers was mauled by a brown bear. The bear was apparently guarding his kill...the missing man. Lots of bear encounters so far this season!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I bought tickets to see Whisky Myers here in town in a couple weeks. Musket Man talked about them here on this thread. Probably would have never heard of them if he didn’t. I miss that guy, he was a hoot.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
solo backpack hunt in mid September or solo mutli day raft trip in mid September.

trying to decide between the 2 one would hurt bad the other be really fun. one would be in the alpine looking down on the river, the other looking up wishing I was up there.

the backpack hunt would be a bushwach hunt in big country(OTC), the other would be a new expierence. I have done lots of solo boat river runs with the wife, this would be the first multiday solo with out her. both sound real good on any given day.