Official 2014 NV scouting thread.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Hey fells as you have brought up Burning Man and no joke my wife's father is super involved with Burning Man - for a long long time and is way, way. up in the hierarchy so we have gone a few times to see what he created. One heck of a crazy party and week but that aside I have always looked at hwy 49 or Jungo RD leaving out of Winnemucca as a reasonable way to get to Gerlach.

Would a normal 4x4 work on this road? Coming in from Colorado if we and we get special passes to get around, in, or out of the gates thus avoiding the exodus and road but this road (49) could save me a lot of time as well as be a cool drive while avoiding a lot of the other burners but did not want to scout it out blind for the first time with the wife and her sister. My 4x4 is a normal chevy four door not lifted or anything and I almost did it but did not want to get lost or broke down before checking. I figured you boys would know.

Thanks in advance and yea dont get anywhere near that road 447 from ferney to gerlach when the burn is going especially on the Sunday - monday -tues of labor day as it is one heck of a mess!

Last edited:

stevet124

Jun 17, 2014
Northern California
Whoever said Nevada is a desert never went scouting in the Santa Rosa Mountains north of Winnemucca. I spent a week up there and saw antelope, elk, big horn sheep, and deer. It was a great trip, other than rain everyday! My hunting partner and I have decided nothing comes easy, so lots of walking is in our future.

NVBird'n'Big

Veteran member
May 27, 2011
Reno, NV
Whoever said Nevada is a desert never went scouting in the Santa Rosa Mountains north of Winnemucca. I spent a week up there and saw antelope, elk, big horn sheep, and deer. It was a great trip, other than rain everyday! My hunting partner and I have decided nothing comes easy, so lots of walking is in our future.
Yeah the Santa Rosas are a beast!
I love it up there. Good luck!

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
And then this is never good
[/QUOTE]

Ouch! Hate to see that guy spoil your party. Things seem to be going really well for your coming deer hunt, hope the big ones you've seen stick around. Really enjoyed your input to this thread so far. Good Luck!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Thanks Mike. So far they have been staying around. These bucks are the ones I've gotten on the trail cams. The big ones are in their same areas and haven't been by the cams to get their photos taken. We will see what happens come Oct 5 it's still a long ways off.