Non resident Elk draw results for 2022

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So any indication how many points required to draw a general elk tag?
Here is the draw odds link - pretty easy to find on the WG&F website under the hunting tab -https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds
4 points guaranteed a general tag in the regular draw and 3+ points guaranteed a tag in the special. However, there was a record number of people involved in the general tag draw so I would expect point creep to continue. My best guess is next year it will take 4+ or 5 in the regular and 4 in the special. Number of points required has been increasing by about 1/2 point per year but based on the number of applicants joining the pool, this is likely to increase to almost 1 point. For a guy just starting out, it may take over a decade in the regular. Pretty sad for a general tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Here is the draw odds link - pretty easy to find on the WG&F website under the hunting tab -https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds
4 points guaranteed a general tag in the regular draw and 2+ points guaranteed a tag in the special. However, there was a record number of people involved in the general tag draw so I would expect point creep to continue. My best guess is next year it will take 4+ or 5 in the regular and 3 or 3+ in the special. Number of points required has been increasing by about 1/2 point per year but based on the number of applicants joining the pool, this is likely to increase to almost 1 point. For a guy just starting out, it may take over a decade in the regular. Pretty sad for a general tag.
New people plus the mid to upper range re-entering the bottom end isn't helping either.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Dang that is not good news for a guy just wanting to elk hunt once. My group sits this way current before this years time to buy points. Three hunters two with 2 points ans one (me) with 3 points. We may never draw a general tag. Also increased number of limited tags seems to decrease number of general tags. I am not keen on paying special entry price. That may be my only chance.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just got off the phone with my bud who lives in WY. He will pack me into the mountain range behind his dad's ranch and leave me there near a small spring until I call for a pack-out. It will be solo archery for Type 1 (any elk), and Type 6 (cow calf). I will gear up for 2 weeks until archery ends. The rifle season doesn't start until mid Oct., so I am considering a couple weeks of hiking and fishing in the Wind river range until that starts up. I then get a couple weeks more, to do a repeat at longer range. Finally, if I still have my Type 6 unpunched, I can come back in January (2023) for that.
I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my wife happy about me spending up to two months in the mountains, solo in griz country. Maybe a big life insurance policy will do it?

jaeger63

Jun 14, 2015
Colorado Springs, Co
Drew 061-1
16 points and finally drew! Even though we are going guided and could have drawn with less points its a great time in my life to fill this tag with a good hunting buddy and go guided with Shoshone Outfitters.
Congrats Ikeepitcold! I'll be next door in 62. I drew a 62-1 tag with 14.5 points. A friend of mine with 15 points applied with me and raised me a half point which probably did the trick. Ive heard great things about Shoshone Outfitters. I''ll be doing a DIY archery in Sep and then rifle in Oct if I have too. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Congrats Ikeepitcold! I'll be next door in 62. I drew a 62-1 tag with 14.5 points. A friend of mine with 15 points applied with me and raised me a half point which probably did the trick. Ive heard great things about Shoshone Outfitters. I''ll be doing a DIY archery in Sep and then rifle in Oct if I have too. Best of luck to you!
Thank you.
Good luck to you as well!

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook