NM 16D rifle guide

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
I drew a new mexico 16D 2nd rifle hunt. I originally had planned on going diy, however I am starting to talk myself into using a guide. I am 1400+ miles away and never been remotely close to this unit. Probably do guide only as that would allow me to bring a couple friends as well as cheapens it up quite a bit. I have talked to a couple outfitters now and each certainly have their way of doing things. Does anyone have some suggestions of good reputable outfitters/guides?? Or even suggestions of how to distinguish a great one from a good one? Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
His prices are in line with other outfitters.

I can show you a outfitter here in Colorado who's price is in the $10,000 range for hunting on public land.

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
His prices are in line with other outfitters.

I can show you a outfitter here in Colorado who's price is in the $10,000 range for hunting on public land.
So ive talked and looked at numerous outfitters for this unit. He is 2k more than any of the others i have looked at. So for this specific area, I would say he is pretty high?? 10k for just the outiftter seems crazy, like many things in today's world, where will it end!?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
So ive talked and looked at numerous outfitters for this unit. He is 2k more than any of the others i have looked at. So for this specific area, I would say he is pretty high?? 10k for just the outiftter seems crazy, like many things in today's world, where will it end!?

Mick's website shows $6500 for a 5 day 1 guide to one hunter rifle hunt. I would be a bit suspicious of a $4500 elk outfitter. I was looking at quality public land elk hunts 15 years ago at $5K.

I had a miserable experience with a NM outfitter. To the point of law enforcement contacting me about him after the hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturebob

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
That is certainly what I want to avoid!! Would much rather go on my own than deal with something like that. A simple google search of Gila elk guides comes up with a ridiculous amount of results. Filtering through them is a challenge. Couple I have talked to on the phone were a joke, others sounded more than legit. And prices haven't seemed to reflect that necessarily. Thanks for the guidance!!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A good place with a lot of outfitters listed is the RMEF Bugle magazine.

You can cross reference the ones that you Googled and any that might be listed in the magazine.

Another place that you can check out outfitters is on the New Mexico Council of Outfitters web site
http://www.nmoutfitters.com/

Neither of the above reference can guarantee a great hunt or a good outfitter but it is a start.

Your big problem that I see right now is that outfitters will be filling up fast now that the draw is done. I know that the one time that I used a outfitter for a elk hunt I started to get my ducks in a row even before the application period was open.

By just Googling "New Mexico unit 16d elk outfitters" I came up with quite a few that I would be contacting to get more information than their web sites offer.

Last edited:

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
I was worried about that too. But generally speaking when i have mentioned that to the outfitters this is a hunt that rarely fills up because there are so few tags. I had originally planned on diy but starting to consider switching gears has certainly put me behind the 8 ball.
A good place with a lot of outfitters listed is the RMEF Bugle magazine.

You can cross reference the ones that you Googled and any that might be listed in the magazine.

Another place that you can check out outfitters is on the New Mexico Council of Outfitters web site
http://www.nmoutfitters.com/

Neither of the above reference can guarantee a great hunt or a good outfitter but it is a start.

Your big problem that I see right now is that outfitters will be filling up fast now that the draw is done. I know that the one time that I used a outfitter for a elk hunt I started to get my ducks in a row even before the application period was open.

By just Googling "New Mexico unit 16d elk outfitters" I came up with quite a few that I would be contacting to get more information than their web sites offer.

Spudman

Jun 12, 2017
Idaho
Spend the $100 and join Epic Outdoors or Huntin Fool and get an endorsed guide through them. I personally am an Epic Member. When it comes to $$$...remember you get what you pay for. Cheaper doesn't mean better....quality tags are getting more and more difficult to obtain. My motto is: unless I can scout the unit several times personally, then hire a quality guide and do the tag justice. Just my 2 cents! Good luck!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Rayzales

Aug 15, 2018
Hello,

I live in NM and the outfitters and guides are all out to make money. I personally would not use them because none of them give any guarantees and you don't know they actually scout and find any bulls for you. Most will send a guide and that, is that. The gila is awesome and I would just save the $$$, and try to go 2 days before the hunt to scout on your own. You will find bulls in the gila, and lots. Some big, some small......

It will be fun but I would do DIY, and save some money. You will get one, and if your lucky maybe a trophy....

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hello,

I live in NM and the outfitters and guides are all out to make money. I personally would not use them because none of them give any guarantees and you don't know they actually scout and find any bulls for you. Most will send a guide and that, is that. The gila is awesome and I would just save the $$$, and try to go 2 days before the hunt to scout on your own. You will find bulls in the gila, and lots. Some big, some small......

It will be fun but I would do DIY, and save some money. You will get one, and if your lucky maybe a trophy....

There isn't a guide out there that will warranty you much more than a hunt with a tent and food. If you find one that does garanty you a elk then you better run because something that they are doing is quite likely not legal.

What you are paying a guide or outfitter most for is their knowledge of the area and country that you are hunting. 2 day out in the field or hunting area is not going to get you that knowledge and you might just be spinning your wheels. A lot of times where people tell you that you are seeing elk is not the same place that they might be during the hunt. This is what you are paying the outfitter for.

Wapiti7

Aug 26, 2011
New Mexico
In all reality with the draw odds, this can be viewed as a once in a lifetime hunt (at least statistically). If I was hiring an outfitter, I would call Gila & Apache Outfitters (Michael De la O). Those guys know the unit well and I can guarantee they have scouted it. Guide or not, you are in for a treat...that unit is freaking awesome.

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
I talked to what feels like hundreds of outfitters that "claim" to hunt 16D. A lot of the ones I talked to haven't hunted it for years but they all want to and think they can be the best. I decided to go with the one I did because I will get to hunt with the outfitter himself, not a guide that thinks he has the experience ha. I thought pretty highly of a handful of outfitters, but when speaking to the guide I would have on the hunt I was less than impressed with the experience and knowledge they had of that unit. Also he has the hunt the week prior to mine and has hunted in D every year for many years. My advice to anyone who reads this later on is to think about who you will actually be hunting with. I could care less how many 400" bulls they have killed nationwide, also how fancy the lodge and food is, in fact I am doing guide only. I wanted someone who knew the unit like the back of their hand and was going to do the legwork for me during the summer, more than just an experienced elk hunter that's for sure....