New to Shooting with both eyes open

ELR

Apr 6, 2013
MN
This summer was my first off season where I took the time to learn to shoot with both eyes open....I've made the transition fairly well in my opinion and one 3d targets and animals it's been great. But while shooting a block target at a dot, it's like I'm confusing myself with my pins and extra dots, or I'm seeing a dot on the target as a pin or something....I'm still hitting close to where I thought I was aiming but not perfect enough. Is this something that is common to struggle with or how do I fix it?

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Similar thing happens to me. I started shooting with both eyes open during practice to fifty but have to close my other eye after that. If you are having a little trouble seeing everything clearly just slightly close your non dominant eye and that will help clear things up. I have also found that the harder I tell my mind to look through my dominant eye the more it helps

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Is there a particular reason to shoot with both eyes open? I just realized that I have no idea if I shoot my bow with one or both eyes open.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
It's about situational awareness 1, and also about what is natural number 2. When you close one eye you are essentially flinching and if you can shoot with both eyes open it makes life a lot easier from that standpoint. Shooting with both eyes open has been something our military has started to teach snipers.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I try to shoot with 1 eye open and that isn't my dominant eye because that's how I have always shot. I always have shot right handed with my left (dominant) eye closed. I just have adapted after 17 years. My left eye slowly opens or will be open at times but I have somehow made my brain recognize to make my right eye dominant during the shot. It's weird, but that's just how I have always shot. Plus my right eye is a little stronger than my left so it suits me well

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
It's about situational awareness 1, and also about what is natural number 2. When you close one eye you are essentially flinching and if you can shoot with both eyes open it makes life a lot easier from that standpoint. Shooting with both eyes open has been something our military has started to teach snipers.
Interesting. I'll have to actually pay attention the next time I shoot.. I've always shot rifles with only one eye open, and shotguns with both eyes open, but I don't aim when I shoot a shotgun.

kkruse

Jun 6, 2011
Lincoln, NE
Not sure if there is a parallel but as a trap shooter I've always been taught to have both open. Reduce eye strain and more natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I'll second the eye strain. I've started to notice my eye stays fuzzy if I leave it closed for a long time when shooting or using a spotting scope so that is part of the reason I started shooting with both eyes open. I will admit that I have no clue if I have both eyes open when I shoot at an animal or not though.

Hunt Crazy in Ca

Sep 22, 2013
Always shot with both eyes open, use to shot a lot of competition trap, always shot with both eyes open, your field of view is better, your depth perception is better, and I your balance is better....try it..you will see!

mnhunter18

Oct 15, 2014
After the initial weirdness my shooting really improved when I switched to both eyes open. As a bonus it is way better at last light to have both open!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'm also left eye dominant but right handed. I close my left dominant eye whether its a bow, rifle, or shotgun. At this point in my life I'm not sure the gain would be worth the trouble to retrain my body? Would I have to learn to shoot left handed?