New Member from Eastern Oregon

Springer

Jan 31, 2013
John Day, OR.
I've been on MM for a number of years but decided to join this site as well. Seems a little more low keyed which I like. I hunt mule deer out-of state every year and play the point system game where it matters. I really like to pack into my local wilderness with my horses to get away from folks. Oregon really needs to do away with over the counter archery tags. Not trying to start a big debate.......... You folks take care.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I was a eastmans subscriber for years and never even new the forum was here until a few months back. Advise or comments mean alot more from a fellow hunter as opposed to a guy across a counter that is trying to sell you something.

Springer,
I sure wish I could live over where you do. Mule Deer have become my passion, and I live over 100 miles from the nearest one.
I was bowhunting eastern oregon in the 80's when I was young. It has grown so popular over the years and I don't think the game management people realize how just a "little" crouded can bust a good bow hunt for everybody.

have fun with this forum!! is the strawberry wilderness a great deer hunt?? We are undecided between there and south of Juntura?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Howdy Springer. As a fellow Oregonian I agree, do away with the OTC archery tags, in fact make the entire state a draw state, even if the tag numbers are generous in certain units.

Springer

Jan 31, 2013
John Day, OR.
tttoadman, I don't think any "great" areas exsist in easten Oregon for deer. I'm not sure about the country south of Juntura? Haven't hunted that country but have hunted the Steens twice. Very disapointing.
Portions of the wilderness are a real mess because of the big fire a number of years ago. A lot of blowdown which is tough to get through. Not very many deer. The greatest population of deer around here are located within a mile of the valley floor on private property.