New Hunting Trailer / Camper / Toy Hauler build - Follow along!

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
I've been toying with the idea of building or converting an enclosed trailer into a hunting rig for some time. Finally bit the bullet and started the project today. I'll post updates as the project continues. I'm really looking forward to this build!

Rewinding just a bit, I was up in the air about continuing to tent camp, buy a camper, or do this build. With my son approaching the age where he will begin traveling with me more, I wanted a safe and comfortable shelter for him. Also, I wanted something I could use outside of hunting season. There are several other reasons that I'll get into as we go. I settled on building out a custom trailer instead of buying a camper for a few reasons:
1- Cargo trailers are typically better built than a camper.
2- I can customize it however I want.
3- Even though I don't own an ATV, in the future I want to be able to haul one (and my ebikes ;-))
4- The final value will be much greater with a custom build.

Anyway, here is the trailer I chose- an EWI 6x12 V nose. This one happened to have a camper style door already on it so that's one less task I'll have to hammer out.27801

Upgrades and customizations I plan on doing are (not in order):
1- Sealing and insulating the floor
2- insulating walls
3- 200 watt solar electric system with shore power hookup
4- Running water (cold only- I'll explain why later)
5- Roof fan/vent (Maybe add an AC next summer..I want to see how the fan alone does)
6- interior/exterior LED lights
7- Bathroom (50/50 on this one. I have the space but I can't decide if its worth the trouble)
8- Front sink, cabinets, power
9- Wall cabinet
10- Floor Vent and tie downs
11- Etrack Hammock for my kid (this is gonna be cool)
12- Windows

I'm sure there will be plenty of other odds and ends I decide on as I go. Please feel free to offer suggestions and give feedback. My goal is to be done by October when my western hunts start!

.....here goes nuthin'!

Last edited:

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
So far no big surprises. I got all the trim and plywood off tonight. Lots of gaps that need caulked and sealed. I expected them though. These trailers aren't made to live in so there will certainly be some light/air coming in. You can see in the front nose a pretty good gap. Not a big deal though. Also, its pretty comical how easy the caulking came up. That pile by the bucket is 80% of the floor sealant. The finish work is laughable but the structure and build of the frame is top notch. Couldn't have worked out any better for what I'm doing

First big decision is whether to seal the floor wood as it sits or to pull it up. My plan is to Kilz it, then triple epoxy coat it. Decided as I typed this I'll just pull it all up. Going to get a little creative insulating the underside of the flooring.

Attachments

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you plan on putting in a holding tank for the waste water you would be better off raising the floor a little along with insulating it.

On all the outside air coming in, get someone to take a flashlight and shine it along all the seams, and corners at night while you are outside of it looking for light. The more you can get it sealed up the more enjoyable it is going to be.

If he doesn't see it send a PM to Colorado Cowboy, he has done this already.

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
If you plan on putting in a holding tank for the waste water you would be better off raising the floor a little along with insulating it.

On all the outside air coming in, get someone to take a flashlight and shine it along all the seams, and corners at night while you are outside of it looking for light. The more you can get it sealed up the more enjoyable it is going to be.

If he doesn't see it send a PM to Colorado Cowboy, he has done this already.
I agree on raising the floor. It'll either be that or a portable tank.

CC's trailer was awesome! Got a lot of ideas off that thread!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We had a thread going a couple of years ago with many of us sharing ideas and pictures of our projects. Not sure if it survived, but I''ll search and see if it's still around here.

My conversion took some time with trial & error, but really suits my needs well.

Reactions: GOSHENGRUNTER

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
We had a thread going a couple of years ago with many of us sharing ideas and pictures of our projects. Not sure if it survived, but I''ll search and see if it's still around here.

My conversion took some time with trial & error, but really suits my needs well.
It should have, we didn’t delete any threads in upgrade.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've never done this before so have no really tips for inside, but will through out a suggestion for the outside. I'd look at getting bearing buddy's along with getting the biggest baddest 10 ply tire with a spare tire for each side, along with bolting a jack plate on next to each tire for quick and easy flat changing.

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
I've never done this before so have no really tips for inside, but will through out a suggestion for the outside. I'd look at getting bearing buddy's along with getting the biggest baddest 10 ply tire with a spare tire for each side, along with bolting a jack plate on next to each tire for quick and easy flat changing.
That jack plate is an outstanding idea!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It would add a little to the overall cost but some scissor jack levelers that you find on travel trailers would be fantastic for once you get to your camping spot and want to have a solid level trailer when you are in it moving around.

10 ply tires might be overkill but I would go at least with 8ply tires.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Go to Search and enter "Hunting Trailer" and add by "Colorado Cowboy" and several threads will show up. there are also several more, I just can't seem to remember how they were titled. PM me if you have any questions.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
Any questions you have on wiring feel free to shoot me a PM. i was a 12 volt technician for most of my 20’s and am still in the business on a different level. One thing I’m sure you already know but I have learned doing trailer builds and probably the most important is your weight distribution. I have seen some awesome trailers but they didn’t layout the floor plan right and all the weight was on the tongue. This makes for a miserable time hauling and it goes through jacks left and right.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I bought a 20" Pace snowmobile trailer. I Sealed the wood floor with epoxy garage floor coating. Didn't want any fuel leakage from ohvs to soak in the wood floor. I added a 36oo btu catalytic wall heater. Add a propane carrier (like on the from of a travel trailer) to the outside front and plumbed the heater. Added additional interior lighting (LED type). Added a sliding window to the side entry door. Built large bunks that fold up on the wall. Insulated the complete inside. I keep 2 folding 6" tables , camping cook stuff in tubs, large camp stove, water jugs, food tubs, folding chairs and a 12'x12' picnic popup in the trailer. I usually bring ice chests and extra fuel jugs in the truck bed.
27809Hunting trailer 001 (2).JPGHunting Trailer 002.JPGHunting trailer 002 (2).JPG

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You may also find that after you have custom made your trailer that you could of picked up a ready built one on the used trailer market.

There are a lot out there that have very little use and their owners get tired of owning something that isn't used.

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
You may also find that after you have custom made your trailer that you could of picked up a ready built one on the used trailer market.

There are a lot out there that have very little use and their owners get tired of owning something that isn't used.
I actually looked at one and almost bought it. My past experience buying used trailers scared me away. Peace of mind knowing exactly how the build was made is worth a lot to me....of course I may have a different opinion in a few weeks lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I am also the type of person that likes to do things myself. But I have also found that repairing something that is broken that you got at a bargain is usually cheaper in the long run and you are not trying to put that square plug into that round hole.
Even if you have a big enough hammer to do it