New Custom Rifle - 28 Nosler

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Montana thanks for all the info, really appreciate it. I've been wanting to build a 28 Nosler and its really got me thinking.
My goal of this build is just a light rifle, 8lb total weight, that I can shoot a 160-175ish modern bullet out of it. I don't need 600+ yards. I rarely shoot over 400 yards. Now with some of the bullets having a really low energy requirement to perform ( Nosler ABLR).....I'm beginning to lean towards a 308 and go really ultra light on the build.

Ugh..... I'm really torn now on a caliber and need to go back to the drawing board.
Haha. Love it. It’s fun to go through all of that. If 600 yards is your max range. Don’t over look custom modifications over a custom rifle. Adding a Proof Sendero Lite barrel, truing the action and adding a new trigger to an existing rifle, may be just what you need. Heck, if I had a Tikka, I would just swap out the barrel... probably the best thing going for the money.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Any pics of your rifle too? Love seeing all the combos.
Here's the info on my .28 Nosler:
.28 Nosler
8 lbs with scope
McMillan hunter stock with ultralite edge technology
Proof Research Carbon Barrel
Bighorn Action / Bolt Model SR3
Trigger Tech trigger
Hawkins Precision Obenrdorf bottom metal with mag follower
Watt?s Outdoor Mag box
March Optics 3-24x42mm FFP Tactical Knob Scope
Hawkins Precision Scope Rings with 25 MOA Taper

Reactions: Montana

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I would love to post a pic of rifle but for some reason my phone wont let me on forum. it starts to come up the tapatalk pops up then it returns to my web browser.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Here's the info on my .28 Nosler:
.28 Nosler
8 lbs with scope
McMillan hunter stock with ultralite edge technology
Proof Research Carbon Barrel
Bighorn Action / Bolt Model SR3
Trigger Tech trigger
Hawkins Precision Obenrdorf bottom metal with mag follower
Watt?s Outdoor Mag box
March Optics 3-24x42mm FFP Tactical Knob Scope
Hawkins Precision Scope Rings with 25 MOA Taper
View attachment 29137View attachment 29138
Yeah... that’s awesome. Super cool!!!

Reactions: Winchester

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Thanks
Bipod is a Rugged Ridge. I agree on bipod prices, I have 3 different ones currently and still not sure there is one I like for all my applications? I like my sparten Javelin for most hunting type use. mostly because its compact light and for a lot of my hunting use a backpack is good. but using the javelin is quick and no big mounts in the way when not in use. this rugged ridge is next step up for me. then I have a modular evolution which seems heavier throughout its quality. not sure its any better or worse than Rugged ridge. all of them offer long legs for sitting and shooting.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
the javelin is 5oz if I remember correctly and it uses a magnet. its a quick and easy attachment, I don't leave it on. I agree about not liking to have a bipod on full time. really effects the feel of my rifle after finding a stock that fits so well.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I like it better than I thought I would. it fits in a small sleeve which captures it in place. the mount is roughly 1 1/2" long and it mounts using sling swivel stud. ( other options also available). I have used it on my 280AI now for 4 yrs and its in my pack mostly but when I can laydown and need the stability and the groundcover permits it works well. I don't feel it is a super ridged bipod for heavier rifles but for the majority of mountain type rifles I feel its a nice option. I don't have any pictures of this setup. maybe I can try to get a couple to post this weekend. I do a lot of still hunting timber and have zero use for a bipod in this type of hunting situation. but late in the day I could be glassing a canyon or clearcut and its nice to have for those type of situations where a longer shot opportunities arise.

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
Thank you. I appreciate it. I actually haven’t heard that about Proof Research barrels. They are a local company to Montana and the word here is pretty high quality. Very well known, but it could totally be a local thing. I’ll let you know in the next 5-10 years haha.
So that last statement just spurred a new thought. Like most things, I think it depends on the user. I am running light loads for 2 reasons. #1, recoil reduction and #2 life of gun. I’m only running my loads getting 2920 FPS which is on the light end of this caliber.
Still great results IMO.
I'm pushing my 195 at 2965fps out of my proof barrel. The biggest advantage I have found in all my proofs is they have no poi change from cold bore to hot. Kinda a big deal for a long range hunting rifle. Nice rig.

Reactions: Montana and Slugz

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Thanks!
Appreciate the info.
Very interesting set up, sounds like it works very well.
[/QUOTE]

i took some pics to show comparison of javelin to a pic type mount (didn't come out great)
hope this helps.

Attachments

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
So I am a bit of a research junky. I’ll start with that. I enjoy the morning coffee, gathering thoughts, opinions and weighing out pros and cons of all components/products. So, with that said, price probably wouldn’t be very fair, I took 8 months buying all the product.

I’m sure everyone feels this way, but in all my research I didn’t find a cheaper gunsmith. It wouldn’t be fair for me to say he’s the best, because I don’t have that experience but I can tell you he is dang good. He produced a very accurate rifle for me and everyone I know that he has done work for. My mind was blown on his price, guess the value of small town living :)

List:
Proof full-size Sendero barrel (not the popular Sendero Lite)
Stiller Predator Action
AG Composite stock - Alpine Hunter
Trigger Tech Special, set at 1.6 pds. This surprises some folks. It is an incredible trigger, way below the radar, great price, incredible performance/quality.
Terminator T3 brake. Another up and coming, arguably the best brake on the market. This was my only splurge on price.
Stiller 20 moa Picatinny rail
Nightforce low rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MOAR Reticle

If your buddy is interested in any insight, have him contact me. I learned a ton in this process. A lot of folks helped me out so I am happy to now return the favor 😁👍
Thanks for the info, my son bought a Proof 300 wi mag and loves it. He shoots the Black Hills ammo that they shot thru it 190 gr I believe. I should have bought one when he did😳