Moving to New Mexico need some help please.

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
Moving there later this month. Looking for any help on understanding the draw system etc. From what I gather, there are NO OTC deer and elk hunts on public land? I did not apply for New Mexico this year and did not plan on living there either but work has me on my way.
I am an avid bow Hunter for elk especially. I go to Montana annually to bow hunt up there Non Res. Would like to have an opportunity to hunt New Mexico as resident this year as well. I understand it takes 90 days for that and I should be good to go before deer or elk season. At this point I would even take a cow tag if that means being able to get out in the New Mexico woods.
Is there any deer or elk tags I could still get my hands on? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Leftover tags will be available during the summer months. Archery and muzzleloader deer for the most part. Keep an eye out on their website for more info.

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
I'm not going to buy some expensive landowner tag. Spent enough to go to Montana already in September. Just looking to see if there is anyway I would be able to hunt New Mexico this fall. Seems goofy they have no general tag hunts.

When do these leftover tags usually home out?
Anyway appreciate your guys time already.

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
Welcome man, I am a Montana transplant here in NM. This state has incredible elk hunting,albeit you dont get to do it every year

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
Thanks brah!
Knowing there is incredible elk hunting HERE, Just trying to figure it out. This state is confusing to me.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

plough

Dec 11, 2017
Moving there later this month. Looking for any help on understanding the draw system etc. From what I gather, there are NO OTC deer and elk hunts on public land? I did not apply for New Mexico this year and did not plan on living there either but work has me on my way.
I am an avid bow Hunter for elk especially. I go to Montana annually to bow hunt up there Non Res. Would like to have an opportunity to hunt New Mexico as resident this year as well. I understand it takes 90 days for that and I should be good to go before deer or elk season. At this point I would even take a cow tag if that means being able to get out in the New Mexico woods.
Is there any deer or elk tags I could still get my hands on? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
where are you moving in nm? i live on the east side ...maybe can help you on archery deer private ...not complicated or expensive

tx2019

Jan 7, 2019
For what it's worth, you can also get an OTC javelina tag that's good for most units. The season runs from mid-January through the end of March. It's a chance to get outdoors hunt, plus you can evaluate a couple different spots for deer hunting while you're out.

Hunter Dan

May 3, 2020
Left-over tags does that mean you would have already had to apply for the draw. Also sorry for being no help hahah

LeeSikvel

Sep 7, 2022
Kudos for your passion for hunting, especially bow hunting for elk. New Mexico has some fantastic hunting opportunities, and it's great that you're looking to explore them.
I'm genuinely curious to hear how things turned out with your quest for deer and elk tags in New Mexico. Did you manage to snag one? Any tips for someone else in a similar situation would be much appreciated.
Oh, and speaking of moving to New Mexico, it seems we're on a similar path. I've been searching for a reliable moving company, too, and that's when I stumbled upon Three Movers international moving pods.

Last edited: