Moo Cow Decoy?

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
I went scouting for elk yesterday and found a bunch of elk in a very flat area with no cover and a bunch of cows in the area. Im debating buying a cow decoy from montana decoys (big red moo cow) and i was wondering if anybody has tried them and if you have had any luck with big game.. i have used a plywood one in the past for waterfowl but i would hate to pack it for over a mile in this area.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
I've watched people scare the hell out of some antelope with the cow decoys. Pretty funny to watch. I've never witnessed an attempt on elk though. I would go with a black angus decoy if I was gonna get one though. Good luck and let us know if it works.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
My son does this with varying results using antelope decoys and moo cow decoys for archery antelope. If you go this route ensure with out spinning your head around a lot always check your 8 oclock to 4 oclock field of view. While using an antelope decoy he has had more than once a lope sneak in to see what he was and they were coming in from the side while he was focused dead ahead.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have seen hunters use the cow decoy very effectively. The problem comes if they come to investigate you or if you try to move in too fast. They know that cows don't move very fast.

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
I went for it and ordered one. Im hoping to try it out on a couple of antelope hunts before elk opens. Ill let everybody know how it works for me

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Have seen it work on geese and antelope... why not elk?
Brother and I have talked about getting a cow decoy and trying on waterfowl for years...every time we discuss it we burst in to laughter...and realize we would not be successful at all. We are absolutely sure we would be laughing so hard the geese would hear us, or we would stumble and fall. : )

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Brother and I have talked about getting a cow decoy and trying on waterfowl for years...every time we discuss it we burst in to laughter...and realize we would not be successful at all. We are absolutely sure we would be laughing so hard the geese would hear us, or we would stumble and fall. : )
We use one on some occasions during spring snow goose season. We have been able to get inside of 40 yards of some huge flocks. I enjoy decoying more but every now and then the old cow decoy is pretty fun.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My brother in law made up a giant size full body goose decoy custom that he could wear out goose hunting. He had a pair of suspenders on it to keep it off of the ground as he walked right into the flocks of geese sitting out in the fields or shallow water. He then would flip the head and neck off to shoot them.

It worked great.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My brother in law made up a giant size full body goose decoy custom that he could wear out goose hunting. He had a pair of suspenders on it to keep it off of the ground as he walked right into the flocks of geese sitting out in the fields or shallow water. He then would flip the head and neck off to shoot them.

It worked great.
That I want to see lol. Have any pictures?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wished that I did. It was quite the set up and was quite funny to watch him walk down into the fields with it on. He only used it for a couple of years, it was quite clumsy to wear and shoot out of

hunter mojo

Sep 22, 2017
Northern Utah
I have used the Montana Cow Elk decoy successfully with my friend while hunting a LE unit in Utah. He had a bull come right at him. Shot it with his Muzzleloader less than 20 yards away. I have seen the Big Red Cow decoy but never used it. Let us know how it goes.

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
IMG_1432.jpg20171001_090827.jpg
The decoy worked great! Used it the last 3/4 mile to get about 450 yards from the herd. Missed the first shot and drilled it with the 2nd. I highly recomend the decoy for any open country hunting. Pretty hard to keep under control in the wind but it can be done

7mag

Sep 1, 2014
Wyoming
Used the cow to shoot the bull lol. The decoy looks almot too good to me. I looked back at the decoy after making sure the bull was dead and it definately needs a dirt bath or a dusting with some matte spray paint.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Used the cow to shoot the bull lol. The decoy looks almot too good to me. I looked back at the decoy after making sure the bull was dead and it definately needs a dirt bath or a dusting with some matte spray paint.
Don't the ranchers bathe and comb their cattle where you're from?