Montana Black Gold Sight troubles..

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone out there used the MBG sights? My Ascent 3 pin slider just arrived and I'm really excited about it. 2 questions for anyone who uses/has used a MBG:

1. It didn't come with assembly directions- I believe I have it assembled correctly by looking at pictures, but is this standard? There was one page stapled to the yardage tapes, but it started with step 3 for sighting in- I'm thinking there was an additional page mistakenly left off.

2. The "wheel of death" is difficult to crank and hangs up in a few spots. I worked it back and fourth to see if it would smooth out, but shavings just keep gathering at the top of the slider. [Yes, the locking pin is loose.]

Any ideas? Do I call MBG and see what they say? I did quite a bit of research on these sights and they seem like very dependable, high quality sights, so I'm concerned that it's user error?

Thanks in advance,
DK

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I have had a MBG ascent for a few years, mine came all put together and didn't have any site tapes with it. I love mine and have never had any problems. I would call them and let them know your dilemma and I'm sure they will take care of you, don't let this one little problem steer you away from a great sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I agree with everyone else. You might be able to find some good YouTube assembly instructions as well. There is a good one by s and s archery that I used to set mine up. They do a great job explaining the site and everything. My wheel was also hard to turn but the more you use it the looser it gets. I've had mine for a year now and it turns just right. Stick with the sight. You have a great one

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
MBG customer service is second to none. Give them a call and they will either help you get yours put together or they will send a new sight, that's been my experience with them.

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
I just got my 3 pin ascent adj with the surge head and i watched some tube videos and the guy from black gold goes through it and does a good job of set up.

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Appreciate the feedback, fellas. Update: I talked with MBG today and explained what I was experiencing. They want me to turn two screws just a little bit and see if it helps but i don't have small enough allen wrenches. Going to check tomorrow at work. If I can't find an appropriate allen wrench, or a slight twist of the two screws doesn't make the wheel any easier to turn, I'm sending it back. Which is what they requested.

I am a little annoyed at spending almost $200 for a sight and having to screw around with this stuff [including the missing directions.] I expected a little differently, but I suppose that's just how it can go sometimes. It sure doesn't seem to be the norm with their products. Hopefully this irons out quickly and I can support their product for years to come.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
That sucks!

If it is any consolation, I got mine last summer and absolutely love it. Once things get ironed out for you I am sure you will be very happy with your sight as I am with mine.

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
I hope it works out for you. I am on my second MBG, and they have been great for me.

I am pretty close to you, what shop do you normally go to? A-1 in Hudson does a really good job with MBG, and I am sure they would be happy to help you out.

d.kerri

Sep 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I hope it works out for you. I am on my second MBG, and they have been great for me.

I am pretty close to you, what shop do you normally go to? A-1 in Hudson does a really good job with MBG, and I am sure they would be happy to help you out.
I ordered it through SS Archery online. Sent the sight back to MBG today. I was making a loud, ongoing squeak while I dialed it from top to bottom. Pretty frustrating.

I'm planning on the sight lasting long enough for me to forget the number of blunders I've encountered.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I hate it when stuff like that happens to me. Especially when you pay good money for it. Did you talk to S&S? I got mine from there and they were top notch. I guess everyone makes mistakes every now and then. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with your site. Once you get it set up and dialed in you will wonder how you ever shot without one. I love being able to practice out to 100 yards and just sliding my sight down to the correct yardage and not having a pin cluster. They are tough too. I hope they do you right for your troubles, but I would definitely not be worried about that sight when you get one that is set up right!