I think that this one is just west of the Hanging Lake tunnels

West bound

• Wow
Reactions: buckbull

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
After a couple of weeks that were pretty dry, the monsoons are back The last 2 night lots of thunder, lightening and rain. Our irrigation water allotment was increased last week for the second time this season. Hope this continues for another month or so.

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are traveling I-70 they are back to shutting it down if there is a flash flood alert. CDOT shut it down today for 3 or 4 hours.

The forcast is for heavy rains for the next few days and snow in the upper elevations.

Fall is coming fast.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
On a slightly different yet related topic, I don't remember a year when we've gotten as much rain as we have this year in eastern Ohio. It seems to be coming about 5 days per week and the humidity is as bad as I can every remember it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One of the reasons we are so intune to the monsoons is that we really depend on them for our late summer/early fall moisture. It has a big effect on the next years water supply. If we don't get much (like the last 2 years), the soil in the mountains really dries out and the next springs snow runoff is really effected. As the snow melts it soaks into the dry soil instead of running down to all the streams and rivers. It has a cumulative effect like we are seeing now.

Reactions: Bonecollector

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Took this picture this morning and the snow is still there this afternoon.

Looking south from I-70 across unit 44, 444 is from the ridge south. Top of the ridge is around 10,500 feet20210820_104504.jpg

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy