Monsoons in SW Colorado

Colorado Cowboy

Veteran member
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The last week or so has been eye opening for me. The last couple of years here in the SW part of Colorado our normal summer monsoons have been a bust. Without them our drought has gotten worse.

The last week or so has offered some hope that the trend might be different this year. The normal afternoon thunder, lightning and rain has started....at least a month early. Last week we got 1/4" of rain one afternoon. Tuesday and yesterday afternoon, it clouded up, thunder, lightning and rain. Sure hope it continues as it has been a really bad winter moisture wise.

JimP

Veteran member
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I was fishing down on the Eagle River the other day and it is up a couple of feet from what it had been running.

The last time that I was through Glenwood Canyon it looked like the Colorado was down 10 feet in areas compared to other years. I base this on the bike path through the canyon. Usually this time of year the bike path in that area is submerged.

Looking up at the hills around me yesterday they may of gotten some rain but very little.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
The high plains east of Castle Rock are getting a good rain about every other day. My hay field has never been greener and thicker. I know most parts of Colorado have some level of drought going on but there is not much of a watershed here and most moisture just goes into the ground and fills some ponds. This area is definetly looking good.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I have not been in that valley but both north and south as well as west of there have seen good rain so I would think so. Not a ton of snowpack left so creeks will start to drop soon..