Monsoons in SW Colorado

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There is a good fire burning up around Steamboat right now so you might want to check out the area of it.

I'm sure that they are also getting some good moisture but I haven't really watched that area this year.

Check out this site for fire information.

Reactions: Apstore
There is a good fire burning up around Steamboat right now so you might want to check out the area of it.

I'm sure that they are also getting some good moisture but I haven't really watched that area this year.

Check out this site for fire information.
Thanks, I have been watching that fire daily. Luckily, we are a ways off from that. I hope the smoke isn't bad come season. Last year was tough since we were bow hunting northwest of the grizzly creek fire. Dry as hell and constant smoke haze made the hunting a challenge, but we went 1 for 2 once we got in tune with the elk.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
We are back under a flash flood alert, I'm crossing my fingers since I need to go to Glenwood Springs in the morning.

They just cleared a debris dam on the Colorado River Saturday afternoon that was diverting water onto or near I-70.

Now we have a wildfire next to I-70 2 miles away.

Sometimes a person just can't win.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Just got home from my shooting club meeting and skies are clear east of me. The La Plata Mts are between us and Durango and are just over 12,000'. They have snow on them! It has stormed every afternoon for the last couple of weeks and has been pretty cool for the last 2 days (for this time of the year). First time I have seen this....pretty crazy year so far!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For you folks that are sitting in a very dry area hoping for some rain here are some more pictures of Glenwook Canyon from Thursday night and Friday morning. There were also a number of people that got stuck in the Hanging Lake tunnels.

This picture is just to the west of the tunnels. The debris field is from the canyon in the background and from what I heard it blocked the Colorado River. It was a good thing that in this area there isn't too much water flow since quite a bit of the river is diverted through the Shoshone Power Plant.

Bair Ranch exit

I-70 will likely be closed until late Friday or even Saturday but heavy rains are in the forecast all weekend.

If this moisture would of hit during the winter I am sure that I would have 10' of snow at my house.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
A couple more pictures:

The lower portion that is covered in mud is east bound.

Wow. Just drove through there a couple weeks ago from Estes Park to Grand Junction. Glad we didn't run into that. Detour would have been beautiful but make the drive 2x or 3x as long I would guess.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For me if I want to go to Glenwood and take the detour it would take about 4 1/2 hours and around 250 or so miles now I I need to go to Grand Junction you can shorten the time by a half hour. I do have a shorter road to the south of me but quite a bit if it is a dirt road and I wouldn't want to be on it in a rain storm. Plus is is suppose to be closed to through traffic and only locals. So I am not sure if I am considered a local or not since their are homes along that road and I live in the next town..

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I’ve been in Crested Butte all week and there has been a lot of rain around here. There was a heavy down pour in town today as well as about an inch of pea size hail.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Glenwood Canyon is still closed as they remove all the mud and rocks that came down the other day.

From the pictures on TV the Bair Ranch exit area took the blunt of it with huge boulders that came down. They have shown a picture of the exit 129 sign that has boulders and mud up at least 4-5 feet on it, along with a front end loader clearing the area with quite a bit of debris on both sides of it.

It's going to be a very long summer.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Some more pictures of what hit Glenwood Canyon and I-70, these are all right around the Bair Ranch exit 129 on the east end of the canyon.

This car is pointed west in the east bound lane.

You can see the guardrail in this picture and relate just how much debris is on the freeway

• Wow
Reactions: buckbull