Missing park ranger since 1980

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
The winter 2021 OUTSIDE magazine has a hell of a story about a park ranger who disappeared in 1980 and was never found. It is a crazy read, to say the least!
Attached is a brief snipit of the story from another source. I can't believe this hasn't been made into a movie. who dunit?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
be interesting to discover what happened to him?????????

my guess is bigfoot et him

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
If your into mysteries the missing 411 hunter edition is a pretty good watch. A ex police officer investigates missing people on our nations public lands. A few of the stories I didn’t care for but it definitely makes you rethink about being in the back country

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Here's a really well written story on these for those killing time waiting on tag application windows :)

Reactions: BKC

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
If you've ever watched Harrison Ford in the movie "Cowboys and Aliens", then you might have your answer. Seriously though, and not meant to be crass, but a small number of those missing persons likely never wanted to be found. My father had said that he would " take a walk in the woods" before he ever let himself be put in a nursing home. But, he developed early onset dementia, and that is where he ended up for the last four years of his life. I feel the same way that he did, so my goal is to be shot dead by a jealous husband when I'm 102.

PetersAvawag

Jun 24, 2021
I assume he was responsible for a wide range of responsibilities in the national park. He was responsible for the safety of the people as well as protecting the integrity of the plants and animals that make the park home. It seems to me that at one point he just got tired of the hustle and bustle and left without saying anything to anyone. I talked to one of his co-workers and he says that the job seems easy, but in fact, it is very difficult. And the salary of $40,000 a year is not enough. In general, most likely he just got tired and ran away, I agree, it is strange, but it's okay, things like that happen in life. In general, you can find more interesting things about this profession.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The winter 2021 OUTSIDE magazine has a hell of a story about a park ranger who disappeared in 1980 and was never found. It is a crazy read, to say the least!
Attached is a brief snipit of the story from another source. I can't believe this hasn't been made into a movie. who dunit?
Here is a little more about the story for anyone who wants to dig in... I think the guy walked away from his life personally.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If you've ever watched Harrison Ford in the movie "Cowboys and Aliens", then you might have your answer. Seriously though, and not meant to be crass, but a small number of those missing persons likely never wanted to be found. My father had said that he would " take a walk in the woods" before he ever let himself be put in a nursing home. But, he developed early onset dementia, and that is where he ended up for the last four years of his life. I feel the same way that he did, so my goal is to be shot dead by a jealous husband when I'm 102.
ha that's funny!!
if my wife picked a 192 year old over me I'D put a bullet in me own brain before I would end the 102 year old. in fact before I ended it I would give that man a ceegar!!!

StBee

Aug 3, 2021
I assume he was responsible for a wide range of responsibilities in the national park. He was responsible for the safety of the people as well as protecting the integrity of the plants and animals that make the park home.