Mike Eastmans New book

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
Maybe mikes new book will take some of the glamour out of hunting the high country, his first book sure made it popular. Wonder if hunting the sage country will increase in popularity now.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Maybe mikes new book will take some of the glamour out of hunting the high country, his first book sure made it popular. Wonder if hunting the sage country will increase in popularity now.
He talks about hunting high country a bit but this book is not focused on hunting high country alone. You may be somewhat right about the sage country becoming more popular. He does cover that in this edition. ;)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've always loved to hunt the sage brush country. It really has some great bucks, but you have to work really hard to find them. My experience has been that when you find one there is usually more. Can't wait to read his book!

HeartElk1

Mar 30, 2011
My signed copy (#412) of Mike Eastman's new book on Mule Deer Hunting Tactics just arrived. I thumbed through it and have already found that the pictures alone make the book well worth it. It is full of amazing photos! I don't plan to speed through it, but will take my time and enjoy each chapter. The Eastman books are so fun to read because Mike's narration leads me to compare similar hunting experiences I've had and I'll find myself nodding and smiling as a remember various situations. The books are just easy to relate to, and I think Mike does a great job encouraging the reader to "come along with me." I'm looking forward to this...

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
Mine showed up today, looks to have lots of good stuff in it. I do think eastmans was one of the reasons for the increased popularity of the high country, especially western Wyoming. I have learned a ton from them and wouldn't be as good of a hunter if I hadn't read their books, subscribed to the magazines etc.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Got mine a couple of days ago (#1965, the year I got out of the Army!). After reading about 2/3s of it, a light in my old brain started to blink! A lot of what Mike is saying is what I have been doing for years!

Hunting the same area, keeping records and notes. My family has hunted the same area since 1946. Same camp in the backcountry via horseback packin. I know the area so well that I know exactly where I want to be at legal shooting time on opening day. I have documented every deer I've shot there since 1960, been over 30.

The only problem is that the quality of the bucks has really declined. 30 years ago 75% of our deer were 4x4s, now its around 10 to 20%. We also see less deer. Hunting pressure is about the same as it always is, usually never see another hunter except our group. Problem is (as I see it) the country has changed a lot. The meadows have grown up with pines and there seems to be less open, brushy places. Used to graze sheep in the backcountry before WW2, not much after. Hardly any fires either. I think there is really less feed (funny...deer don't eat trees!). Havn't been there since 2005, but am going back in 2013. There was a big fire in the area in 2005, so we'll see.

I kinda got off topic, Mikes book is great and worth reading. Better than lots of the hunting books in my Library now! It's a KEEPER;)