Might want to include more species...

BigSexy

Feb 21, 2011
Southeast Nebraska
I think it is pretty pivotal that there is a whitetail (or just a general deer) section included on this forum. You cant deny that the white tail is probably the most popular big game animal in north america. eastmans would draw a larger crowd to the forums if they include a general deer forum to include all species of deer able to be hunted in the west, which includes atleast the white tail and mule deer species...

gunsight

Feb 21, 2011
Alaska
Nothin tougher than hunting Oregon blacktails. Every time I watch someone arrow a rat tail, I mean whitetail from a tree stand, over a fancy food plot, I think I'd quit hunting if that was the extent of my hunting options. I surely don't mean to knock anyone's chosen method and species. I am well aware that many people have no other options. But after 50 years of beating the back country for them blacktails, I would have to say that they are as tough and enjoyable to hunt as anything out there.

AZ Hunter

Feb 22, 2011
Mesa, AZ
I've never hunted Blacktails. I can't imagine any deer tougher to hunt than the Couse Whitetail. They are more like goats than deer...the steeper, rockier, brushier the better for them. You will come back from a hunt scratched, cut and bruised. What a challenge! I love it!

FLEH

Feb 22, 2011
This argument is like the Ford Vs. Chevy!!! Everyone has their own opinion on what is better.

I think that each species has their good and bad qualities. That is why I would never bash anyone for their preference or ability to hunt....I just like to HUNT! Give me any of them and I will spend a day in the woods chasing them around!!!

Attachments

bdog12

Feb 22, 2011
Ca
To me thats one of the many good things about Eastmans is they dont cover whitetail's there are plenty of other places you can watch or read about whitetails just turn on the outdoor channel and there is sure to be a show on with someone in a tree stand falling asleep or freezing there balls off hoping one walks by there stand.Eastmans is all about western big game hunting and whitetails are not a western big game animal. Just my opinion

Attachments

BigSexy

Feb 21, 2011
Southeast Nebraska
you're entitled to your opinion, but to say the white tail is not a western big game animal is nieve. The states of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New mexico, arizona, and montana all have healthy white tail deer populations. Now tell me, which of those states is't in the west?

HuntinMontucky

Feb 21, 2011
I agree that Whitetails are a western big game animal, though not usually thought of as one, however I agree that you can see Whitetails all day long on the outdoor channel, Eastmans has drawn such a following in my opinion by not falling into the Whitey rut that every other magazine and show has. They are a beautiful animal, I have one on the wall right in between two mulies, I gotta say, the Mule deer are what does it for me! Just my opinion!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
To me thats one of the many good things about Eastmans is they dont cover whitetail's there are plenty of other places you can watch or read about whitetails just turn on the outdoor channel and there is sure to be a show on with someone in a tree stand falling asleep or freezing there balls off hoping one walks by there stand.Eastmans is all about western big game hunting and whitetails are not a western big game animal. Just my opinion
I cant agree more!!

THEBUGLER

Feb 21, 2011
Idaho
www.elk101.com
Sorry you whitetail Nay-Sayers:) But Id like to see a whitetail section also. Here in North Idaho whitetails are the most abundant deer species and heck, we do hunt them "western style" and count their points a bit differently than they do back east. So yes, whitetails are a western game attraction. I do love mule deer hunting also, but unfortunately their numbers up north leave much to be desired. Thanks!

Elkoholic307

Banned
Feb 25, 2011
Base of the Bighorns
It's nice to see that Eastmans' added them. But, I would understand if they didn't because whitetails aren't really their 'thing'. Although, I think I did see an episode where they hunted them in Montana? Anyway, to call them rat tails and to say that they're not a western big game animal is just ridiculous. I love whitetails and they are here to stay. Nobody hunts over fancy food plots out here and I wouldn't care if they did. I feel blessed to live in an area with both species. The last two years I have put in for a whitetail only tag as my first choice in the draw over the local coveted muley tag. Who cares? To each his own...

anglinarcher

Mar 1, 2011
Denver
I've been hunting mulies my whole life since I grew up in WY, the shot at a whitey at least once or twice is enticing to me right now. In fact I'm shooting for a tag in eastern Colorado. Maybe my mind will change back once I've been there and done that.

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
I think a thread dedicated to spot and stalk black bear hunting would be interesting, nothing against bait hunting just think spot and stalk is more the Eastman's way of hunting. I plan on giving it a try with my bow this spring and would like to talk to other hunters taking on the same challenge.

T43

I have to admit although I'm happier hunting a muley someplace with a killer view I had some backstraps from an eastern Idaho whitey that had been living in a grain field and that was better than any scrub brush buck I had ever tasted.