Michigan Bear hunting adventure

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Been taking 5 gallon empty buckets home to use for bait carrying. Well My manager at work is a big hunter been talking to him. Today he comes up and goes the store GM is on vacation........ok.........he says I know of nothing if a 2 gallon bucket with chicken greese ends up in your 5 gallon bucket your taking home. So I got 2 gallons of chicken greese at home now I put in the freezer to use later in the season and keep it from going bad. Was very nice to know I'll have at least a little of some to work with
If there’s any restaurants around you that do a chicken wing night or fried chicken special, try to collect the scraps. I had a brand new bait once with fried chicken scraps and a bear hit it the first night, ate the chicken, and never came back. I didn’t have any more chicken, but I believe that smell drew him from a distance

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
If there’s any restaurants around you that do a chicken wing night or fried chicken special, try to collect the scraps. I had a brand new bait once with fried chicken scraps and a bear hit it the first night, ate the chicken, and never came back. I didn’t have any more chicken, but I believe that smell drew him from a distance
Good to know! Definitely learning a lot and getting all set on the rules

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Maybe you could buy some of those $5 rotiserie chickens from walmart and dump the chicken grease on them?

Reactions: marcusvdk

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
my uncle used to get day old donuts, ect from bakeriers. He got a bunch of hostess stuff that was old, the issue was all the unwrapping.
I got a few drums full of hostess stuff one year, great bear bait but like you mentioned the wrapping was a major pain. Stupid little wrappers would either stick to everything or get blown around by the wind.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Went to the range with the 308 yesterday. Need some more range time with it as I dont get to use it often here in my area of the state. 50 yard shot for sighting in. First group was to the far right with a few jerked shots. Adjusted scope and the adjust ment had my 4 shot group around the bullseye with one that I shot low at the bottom. Im not the best marks men but going to practice a ton.

Attachments

Reactions: buckbull

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Hang in there Marcus. Just about any rifle should be able to hold 1" groups at 50 yards, so as long as everything is tight (scope mounts, rings, stock bolts) the rest is up to you. I suggest that you spend some time with dry fire practice...sitting calmly at a bench with the target at a fairly close range. Concentrate on your breathing and trigger squeeze. Without any recoil, you will be able to see if your crosshairs remain on target after making the shot. After you are confident with the results, continue to dry fire a few times each time you go to the range.
While sitting in a stand, you won't be breathing hard or have an elevated heartrate, at least until a big boar suddenly appears at the bait or climbing up your tree. That's when the real fun begins.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Hang in there Marcus. Just about any rifle should be able to hold 1" groups at 50 yards, so as long as everything is tight (scope mounts, rings, stock bolts) the rest is up to you. I suggest that you spend some time with dry fire practice...sitting calmly at a bench with the target at a fairly close range. Concentrate on your breathing and trigger squeeze. Without any recoil, you will be able to see if your crosshairs remain on target after making the shot. After you are confident with the results, continue to dry fire a few times each time you go to the range.
While sitting in a stand, you won't be breathing hard or have an elevated heartrate, at least until a big boar suddenly appears at the bait or climbing up your tree. That's when the real fun begins.
I very much appreciate the pointers I did do some dry fire shots ahead of shooting at the range . I find myself flinching on occasion. I use a single shot H&R 308 I like the single shot as I have get myself reset after each shot which at the range js great so I can remind myself of each step. It 100 percent me the gun shoots great and all the pieces are tight as they should be. I was nervous to post the picture cause some times you get negative feedback. But that's what I love about the group the main group always has positive input and pointers.

Side note these were also the last of the 180 grain Winchester I had thay my gun doesnt pattern as well. I was using them up. To get some more time behind the scope. The next time out ill be use the 165 grain bullets that it shoots a bit better with. It like the Hornaday and federal rounds a bit better from past experience.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I very much appreciate the pointers I did do some dry fire shots ahead of shooting at the range . I find myself flinching on occasion. I use a single shot H&R 308 I like the single shot as I have get myself reset after each shot which at the range js great so I can remind myself of each step. It 100 percent me the gun shoots great and all the pieces are tight as they should be. I was nervous to post the picture cause some times you get negative feedback. But that's what I love about the group the main group always has positive input and pointers.

Side note these were also the last of the 180 grain Winchester I had thay my gun doesnt pattern as well. I was using them up. To get some more time behind the scope. The next time out ill be use the 165 grain bullets that it shoots a bit better with. It like the Hornaday and federal rounds a bit better from past experience.
Wouldn't hurt to take a .22 even and just shoot some before you shot the .308.
Nothing wrong with you shooting 50 yards, but I'd shoot closer also. Sat on a bait at 12 yards for my last bear, I'd aim for treestand/blind to bait of 20ish yards.

Good on you getting out long before season and shooting!!

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
I got lucky and drew my michigan baldwin unit tag a few years sooner then expected. They increased tags 2 years ago and less people applied then last year. Super excited but now starts the fun of scrambling to put things together. My cousin has a cabin with 50 acres in the unit hoping to get permission to hunt there. If not we also deer hunted in the unit almost 15 years ago and bear run ins a few times. Found out Tuesday last week so already headed out Sunday and found two site to bait on state land if my cousins isnt an option. Figuring out my baits and going over the many regulations. Cant bait until 31 days before the season which runs Sept 11-17 rifle and October 7-13 archery. This will be my thread for updating everyone on how it goes.
Good luck man! I got the bear hunting bug bad this past year and can't wait to go again. So fun!!!

Mr Nice

Feb 14, 2020
Good luck! Minnesota bear season opens 4 weeks from today, I am anxiously counting it down for a chance to arrow a nice bruin.