Michigan Bear hunting adventure

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks im the one testing it out for the family dad and brother should draw next year so I'm doing alot of the leg work figuring things out for sure. Hope Wednesday to have some good pics from the 2 trail cams on public land. The friend of my brothers put a cell cam out on the site at his place so I'll get random text from my brother im sure with pictures.

Kinda fun having a cool adventure like this. Forsure and sharing with you guys
I like it! We can't bait here, so it's just a spot and stalk type hunt. I'm not complaining; it's great hunting here, but the whole process is fun to see. Good luck!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The deer are loving mine right now. That's a fact. They are out there eating them like crazy right off the limbs. Thank god I have killed about every raccoon within a mile of here or they would be terrorizing my peaches as well.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I hadn't logged in here for quite awhile.
Congratulating on your tag and good luck on the hunt.
I'm booked in 2024 for the newberry unit myself. Will have more than 10 points then so hopefully enough as a non resident.
Was born in the U.P. so that's where I wanted to hunt.
Good to see you Russ!

Reactions: hunter25

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I hadn't logged in here for quite awhile.
Congratulating on your tag and good luck on the hunt.
I'm booked in 2024 for the newberry unit myself. Will have more than 10 points then so hopefully enough as a non resident.
Was born in the U.P. so that's where I wanted to hunt.
Thanks hopefully you draw it. Lots of bears up there.

Last edited:
Reactions: hunter25

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Sounds like it was an honest mistake. I would chalk it up as a lesson learned and keep on keeping on.

If you were polite and understanding then I am sure that made it into the report and that will dictate whether or not you revive any kind of situation. They look at ALL of the details. Including any prior convictions ect ect. So I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Well tonight is a real learning lesson and downer at the same time. I ran into a DNR office on my way out from my first sight and we talked about bear hunting and how it was my first time that I juat set my blind and bait the normal questions. He asked where the sight was so I gave him directions and the closest GPS coords I had. Little while later after baiting my other sight I get a call (phone # and name required to leave blind on public land here) it was the officer. Questioning me about my bait. Well long story short me putting any fruit or bird seed (black sunflower seeds) or things with corn pieces in it is a no no. The officer was really good with me about it went over with me again what was and wasn't allowed. Asked when I was baiting again Saturday he said ok good let the stuff clean up the next few days and make sure not to use that stuff. Told me he wasn't writing me a citation but has to do a report and it gets sent to procescutor to make last decision. On a fine or not. I don't ever want to break the rules and this situation has me very deflated and feeling horrible. I read the regs several times but guess not enough to caught this. As it's for mine and one other unit that it's not allowed. He did re assure me that my blind was good the log setup was good.

Sorry guys im just dejected at the moment and feel like a failure. I might be a few days before I post up the one bear picture I do have that's a bit dark.
Is it because your unit is in a CWD zone?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Is this in the UP?
Been gaining points for a long while now, not sure when I'll try to draw, or if I should, bow, gun, or diy/guide/dogs?
good luck, keep us posted.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
LOL. Hopefully that's the last time you tell a game warden where you are hunting. I trust game wardens about as much as a pedophile working in a day care.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Well gained some brownie points with my brothers friend tonight that is letting me bait his place. Was walking in to bait and half way there found his 2 pigs on the loose lol spent 40 mins wrangling them back to the pen twice. lol found out after the first time how they got out but had to get them back again. The friend is out of town this weekend so was happy i got them back.

Sight 2 with pit blind only seems to have coons at it l

My first site there is one dark picture I can't see on my camera will have to wait till I get it on the computer

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Went out Tuesday and pulled these two pictures from site 1

Site 2 only had pics of coons and birds and a coyote so think this site is a bust and will find another location

The friends site was hit hard no word from him on bear or not on his cam