lion roast

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have a post in the predator thread about my recent mountain lion hunt, and had some discussion on eating one. I have no prior experience with the culinary possibilities of mt. lion other than the anecdotal "tastes like chicken". Well let me tell you folks right here, that "it don't".
I followed a recipe that was in the recent American Hunter (NRA) magazine for Black Bear Instant Pot Roast. I followed the recipe exactly, except for the lion instead of bear, and using chicken broth instead of beef broth. After searing the meat, it only takes 45 minutes.
I cut some meat off a front shoulder to save for fried nuggets at a later date, and the sawed it in half in order to fit in the pot. I left the bone in, but that isn't really necessary. lion shoulder 2tsp black pepper 2 large carrots, chopped
2 Tbsp vegetable oil 1/2 cup red wine 2 celery ribs, chopped
2 Tbsp ground coriander 1/2 cup broth 2 bay leaves
3 Tbsp dried rosemary garlic, minced 1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tsp salt 1 lg. onion, diced 1/2 cup water

Season the roast, sear it, deglaze the pot with the wine and broth, using a wooden spoon. Add the veggies, and place the roast on top. Set the Insta Pot to "stew/meat", and up the time to 35 minutes at high pressure. After it's done, remove the solids, and use the cornstarch & water to thicken the gravy.
The verdict: Fabulous, I would say that it is 95% like pork roast, except that it has a bit of a something else flavor (in a good way). After putting it on a plate andIMG_2010 (2).JPG covering it and the potatoes with the gravy, my wife and I agreed that you couldn't tell it from a good pork roast.IMG_2010 (2).JPGIMG_2011 (2).JPGIMG_2012 (2).JPG

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
definatly more pork like than chicken. Mine was good.
backstraps marinating in teriyaki than cut into chuncks on the grill.

Reactions: RICMIC

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am surprised that some states G&F don't require the full utilization of meat from predators. I have found that even non-hunters generally don't have reservations about hunting when it is used as a source of food. I've eaten quite a few bears through the years, but would balk at coyote or wolf, if for no other reason than they are too much like my pet dogs. My wife was all for trying the lion, and we will fully utilize the meat until it is gone. But, even some of my hard core hunting buddies won't touch it.

Reactions: Winchester

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
We have eaten lion loin in elk camp several times I just treat it like a pork chop half the guys couldn't tell the difference.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am surprised that some states G&F don't require the full utilization of meat from predators. I have found that even non-hunters generally don't have reservations about hunting when it is used as a source of food. I've eaten quite a few bears through the years, but would balk at coyote or wolf, if for no other reason than they are too much like my pet dogs. My wife was all for trying the lion, and we will fully utilize the meat until it is gone. But, even some of my hard core hunting buddies won't touch it.
my bet is that if the chips were down you'd eat the south end out of your north bound dog. you're dog would certainly eat you. ;) :D

have eaten both bear and lion .didn't particularly care for either ,though I will acknowledge it'll make a turd!
I feel the same about yotes and wolves. seen to many yotes with worms and mites an mange , that I ain't eatin it. would happily donate all their meat to antis who don't want it wasted though.