Let the gov't goat slaughter begin!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When it comes down to it the National Park service just doesn't want to deal with public hunters

mntnguide

Very Active Member
They are trying to allow hunters to be part of this, but couldn't get any legislation passed for this year for that to happen. The game and fish has pushed hard for the national park to allow hunters to be in this. But it's not their world so they get no official say. Wygf gave away 48 new mountain goat permits this season on the outskirts of this entire area. I had one and took a 7 1/2 year old Billy with my bow on day 3 of season. The season was 3 1/2 months long, and my archery goat was the oldest and largest goat checked in. It was not an easy hunt, and i don't plan on putting in for the tag again next year though i could. There has never been hunting inside Yellowstone, but yes there is an elk reduction program inside Grand teton national park, but as is government, for anything new to occur paperwork must pass through 100 different people

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
I saw they still have that tag listed for 2020. Is that in an effort to mop up anything remaining after the helicopter killings? I would think that Area 4 would be void of goats after they get done with the flights. Possibly some coming up from 2?

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I saw they still have that tag listed for 2020. Is that in an effort to mop up anything remaining after the helicopter killings? I would think that Area 4 would be void of goats after they get done with the flights. Possibly some coming up from 2?
chuckle..... in the words of mista T, I pity the fool... that gets those tags.:D

mntnguide

Very Active Member
From my talks with the main biologists when i checked my goat in, most the goats inside the park, never leave the park. The stay there all winter in deep snow etc. So the ones getting shot in the main areas inside the park are most likely ones that would never set foot into the hunting area anyway. There was a small population known to live right on the park border that goes back and forth, and that is what WYGF was targeting. And yes, I believe the tag next year will be very tough, and most likely nanny and kids might be the only ones found if any. I could be wrong, but im sure I would not come close to a mature billy like this year, so I am not interested in it at all.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
It would almost seem for residents that it would only be an add on tag if you were already up hunting in that area. Like picking up a bear tag in case you stumble upon one

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
They are trying to allow hunters to be part of this, but couldn't get any legislation passed for this year for that to happen. The game and fish has pushed hard for the national park to allow hunters to be in this. But it's not their world so they get no official say. Wygf gave away 48 new mountain goat permits this season on the outskirts of this entire area. I had one and took a 7 1/2 year old Billy with my bow on day 3 of season. The season was 3 1/2 months long, and my archery goat was the oldest and largest goat checked in. It was not an easy hunt, and i don't plan on putting in for the tag again next year though i could. There has never been hunting inside Yellowstone, but yes there is an elk reduction program inside Grand teton national park, but as is government, for anything new to occur paperwork must pass through 100 different people
Glad someone has facts to share.

Reactions: Bonecollector

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Hunting was allowed in National parks at one point in time. I believe both Yellowstone and rocky mountain national parks had hunts in the past
There is still an Elk hunt every year in Grand Teton national park and there has been for decades. Elk is OK but not Goats? WTH. This is a stupid program by G&F and the NPS. I'll bet they didn't get any resident hunter support. They could have made thousands of dollars in license sales instead of costing tens or hundreds of thousands.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Apparently the Feds and GTNP don't give a crap about hunting ethics, game management or the WGFD. For years they've fought the WGFD and resident hunters on the "elk reduction program" as well. They conveniently use the term "invasive species" to describe mountain goats, an animal that lives in several adjacent states, yet joyfully welcome human transplanted northern Alberta wolves. I fail to follow their logic.

Yellowstone uses this same logic and has spent millions of taxpayer dollars to remove Lake Trout (Mackinaw) from Yellowstone Lake, a fish that is native in nearby lakes in Yellowstone and Grand Teton Nat'l parks while doing nothing about the German brown trout living for decades in Yellowstone waters. Oh ya, after years of blaming the introduction of Macs in Yellowstone Lake on local fisherman who must have secretly transported the fish from other local lakes it was discovered the park rangers had actually stocked the trout themselves years ago.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Goat issue aside...which I agree with the GF Commission about.

WYME is not being truthful at all in regard to the lake trout situation. A clear case of bar-stool propaganda and ax grinding.

It is a fact that the Government did plant lake trout in 1890 in Lewis and Shoshone Lake, but did not plant them in Yellowstone lake. Lake trout were never documented in Yellowstone lake until 1994 and DNA and ear bone chemical analysis proved that the trout were illegally introduced via Lewis Lake, probably in the mid-late 1980's.

Its also not true that lake trout are native in "nearby lakes"...the closest lake where they are native is probably in the Bighole Valley area of Montana, twin lakes specifically. Otherwise the nearest places in Montana where they are native is extreme NW Montana, Waterton, Glenns, St. Mary's, and Cosley lake. Not one lake or body of water has native lake trout in the State of Wyoming.

But carry on with the faux outrage...

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Goat issue aside...which I agree with the GF Commission about.

WYME is not being truthful at all in regard to the lake trout situation. A clear case of bar-stool propaganda and ax grinding.

It is a fact that the Government did plant lake trout in 1890 in Lewis and Shoshone Lake, but did not plant them in Yellowstone lake. Lake trout were never documented in Yellowstone lake until 1994 and DNA and ear bone chemical analysis proved that the trout were illegally introduced via Lewis Lake, probably in the mid-late 1980's.

Its also not true that lake trout are native in "nearby lakes"...the closest lake where they are native is probably in the Bighole Valley area of Montana, twin lakes specifically. Otherwise the nearest places in Montana where they are native is extreme NW Montana, Waterton, Glenns, St. Mary's, and Cosley lake. Not one lake or body of water has native lake trout in the State of Wyoming.

But carry on with the faux outrage...
A guy I work with worked for around 20 years in Yellowstone until the mid 90's. He said one idea that was talked about a lot after the fire in 1988 was that when they were dipping water out of Yellowstone, Lewis, and Shoshone lake with choppers that they could have inadvertantly transplanted some.
Interesting thought if anything.

Reactions: BuzzH

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
A guy I work with worked for around 20 years in Yellowstone until the mid 90's. He said one idea that was talked about a lot after the fire in 1988 was that when they were dipping water out of Yellowstone, Lewis, and Shoshone lake with choppers that they could have inadvertantly transplanted some.
Interesting thought if anything.
I've heard the same theory, possible but very remote chance as a best case. Not sure why you would drop one bucket of water from one lake to another. The buckets also open from the bottom, making it really unlikely that fish would remain after a bucket drop.

Anything is possible though.

But, the most likely thing is bucket biology...and for the record, the Government shouldn't have planted lake trout in Lewis and Shoshone from the start. I'll blame it on a lack of knowledge in 1890.