Late Fawn Drop

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was on my way to the range this morning and saw a fawn that was really small and had spots, couldn't have been more than a few weeks old. I have seen more late fawns this year than I have seen in years. Bet this one won't make it thru the winter.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
One year I was hunting elk late in November and I saw a cow with a calf that wasn't much bigger that my Lab. I guess if a female elk or deer doesn't get nailed in the first go around, they keep coming into season until they do.

Reactions: Winchester

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
One year I was hunting elk late in November and I saw a cow with a calf that wasn't much bigger that my Lab. I guess if a female elk or deer doesn't get nailed in the first go around, they keep coming into season until they do.
Small fall fawns are a result of either late breeding during the 2nd or third estrous cycle or doe fawn being bred on their first cycle.
https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/deer-scouting/deer-behavior/whitetail-fawns-rule-second-rut

The later is more common with whitetails but does happen occasionally in mule deer.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I saw fawns with spots all across the Midwest. Makes me kinda glad that we chose to hunt the third week of the rut in Illinois.