Just can't fix stupid...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I read that article and was wondering what goes on up there. It was also interesting that a couple of them shot themselves in the foot.

Darwin at his best

Reactions: shootbrownelk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Throw a few mud ducks in with zero hunting abilities in the middle of all that and the pot just keeps getting sweeter.
31 years in Barron before moving to Wyoming, Conibear is right i'm shocked there isn't actually more too. Beer and booze all day everyday.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I lived in Rhinelander - you have no idea how much beer, jagermeister, more beer, pickled eggs, more beer and beer are involved in the WI general deer season...and more beer....and more jagermeister. I was always stunnned there weren't more injuries/fatalities. Groups of FIBs pitched against groups of us locals was always interesting too and I've never witnessed anything like the Hmong deer drives, and there is no elevation or hills to stop bullets. I'll always wear hunter orange in OR, even though it's not law, because of what I saw in Oneida County.

4 shootings is actually a very low number, especially since 2 of them were self-inflicted. click-bait headline from ABC
First time I've seen FIBs in writing. I was taking a sip of coffee when I read it and spit it down my shirt. Pretty accurate description!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Honestly after hunting about 10 states on public public land, I see this as a success story.

I am not sure how hundreds dont die every year after seeing some of the crap I have seen.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
imagine how few shootings there would be if folks quit wearing orange and making targets of themselves!!

I'm sure someone will pipe in with "the data shows" argument. It is poppycock!

if someone is dumb enough to mistake a human for a deer, they are simply not intelligent enough to distinguish colors either.

if this is not so, it seems reasonable that color blind folks should not be allowed weapons. ;) :LOL:

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
As a young man at the age of about 16 or 17. I was invited to go to deer camp down in South Arkansas. This was around 1982. I was excited and looking forward to a great trip. The invite came from a friend and was his fathers deer camp. Being a young guy that enjoyed a few beers. The first night at camp did not seem that strange with the drinking that was going on. Exited about hunting I went to bed early. When I woke up and went to the cook tent to eat breakfast. I started to pour a glass of milk " that is for the gravy" I went to get the orange juice " that is for the vodka" I started to get a glass of water " that is for the bourbon". I said what can I drink " get a beer" was the answer I got. It even shocked a young man like me to see grown men heading out to their stands with 5ths of whiskey before day light.
I saw a total of 5 illegal deer killed in two days.
I declined the offer to return the next year.
I wear as much hunter orange as possible and never take it off.

Reactions: mcseal2

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
It is bound to happen with all of the Midwest deer hunting that goes on, but safety should be a stronger priority. Also, the Illinois comment: As a sad Illinois resident, I apologize for all of the asshole Chicago Citiates (there are some good ones). I have had issues with them also trespassing.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I was invited to go duck hunting with a bunch of guys one time. They had 2 30-pack of beer in the cooler and were slamming beers at 4:00AM. It was the last time I ever hunted with them.

The hunting sucked at "Their spot" anyhow.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
My first hunts were waterfowl...remember Dad and uncles having a few hits of whisky now and then...nothing to be concerned about.

My first time at Deer Camp i was 14...in the caravan to public land one entire long-box pickup was dedicated to hauling alcohol / beer. My uncle (who was police chief at the time), gave me a sip of some Kentucky moonshine he got from a sheriff at a conference...it burned all they way down. There was some drinking at nights at deer camp, but days were sober -- no hunting when drunk that I can remember. Oh, there were a few guys who stayed around camp, didn't hunt much, and drank a lot. But I don't remember any dangerous situations.

We only kill 40-50k deer in Nebraska...far cry from the 300k+ killed in Wisconsin every year. And far fewer hunters.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
A buddy drinks close to a case a day during hunting season. I wonder if he puts 2 and 2 together, because he always arrows a bull and never recovers it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A buddy drinks close to a case a day during hunting season. I wonder if he puts 2 and 2 together, because he always arrows a bull and never recovers it.
Or does he say that he arrowed a bull but couldn't recover it?

I hunted with one of them for a couple of years. One year he said that he stuck a big bull real good and then lost him, 4 of us went up to where he said that he shot it at and asked him where the blood trail started? He walked around for a half hour and said that some animal must of licked it up. We left it at that but he never did claim to arrow another buck or bull.