Jack O'Conner/Outdoor Life magazine

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I divide his books into 2 groups: hunting/shooting and guns. If you Google Jack O'Conner you can find a complete list of his books.

When I was growing up, my Dad discovered I had an eye problem, Ambliopia or Lazy Eye. I am naturally right handed and my right eye was effected. I was taught to shoot a rifle/shotgun left handed. What has this got to do with the post.......I could not find and left handed friendly guns. I started making my own stocks and Jack O'Conner was a big influence on me and the style of stock I made. He didn't like the new Weatherby style stocks, preferred the old classical designs. He also loved sxs shotguns, especially the Winchester Model 21. In his gun books he is very frank about this and doesn't mince words on what he considers great guns.

His hunting stuff is just as good. The only thing to keep in mind is that his big safaris and extended, guided hunts were all paid for by his publisher "Outdoor Life" as JimP pointed out in his post.

You can find a lot of his books on line. The same for Elmer Keith.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
jack occonnor an outdoor legend dvd is pretty good, talks about his novels, him being an English professor ect

hutty

Oct 17, 2017
Have a few of his books, along with a biography that was written about him. Loved his stories, especially the exotic locations like India and Iran. I use a .270 when I hunt out west. Also truly enjoy reading Robert Ruark.