Is it Spring yet?

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I just got done hosting our local NWTF chapter banquet, and was talking to a few guys about video taping hunts. I had forgotten about the short films my buddy and I shot 2 springs ago in Kansas. The link below is one of my favorites.. I could watch that bird gobble 100 times and not get tired of it.

I had killed my first bird of the day about 2 hours before this one. We got set up on him less than 30 minutes after my first bird, but I could only see his head and neck, and couldnt tell how far he was, so I passed. We circled around him, and set up, only to have him circle back around us to come in.

I normally pass on Jakes, but any Jake that is man enough to come in spitting, drumming, strutting and gobbling, is gonna get killed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7OwvKkw7-g

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
amen brother!!! nice work! and spring cant get here fast enough, im itching to get a bear bait going

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Not looking forward to this spring as much as I was last year since I will only be hunting around the house this year. But still ready for it. Went to Texas and Nebraska last year. Killed 4 birds and had a blast!!

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
I can't wait until spring, we are having our banquet this month as well. I've got a big winter flock in my river bottom right now. I saw about 100 birds the other day on my wheat field, not sure how many jakes & hens. There was 17 longbeards, so we will be after them before long. Time is limited for me these days. My kids are all in sports, so spring is really busy. We got 1 in softball, 1 in t-ball & 2 in soccer. We fit hunting in the open slots, it's all good!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Spring is the time for fly fishing.
Fly fishing here amounts to standing shoulder to shoulder with 500 other people and the local trout park, to catch some trout that was released from a holding tank 2 hours earlier.

Spring was made to smack a gobbler in the mouth with a load of 5's in the morning, pick a bucket full of morels after lunch, and then go catch some bass before dark!

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Fly fishing here amounts to standing shoulder to shoulder with 500 other people and the local trout park, to catch some trout that was released from a holding tank 2 hours earlier.

Spring was made to smack a gobbler in the mouth with a load of 5's in the morning, pick a bucket full of morels after lunch, and then go catch some bass before dark!
You live in the wrong state. I can fish miles of rivers, and never see another fisherman.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
You live in the wrong state. I can fish miles of rivers, and never see another fisherman.
Felt like spring here today! You are right, Fink must live in the wrong state. We have 30+ miles of designated fly fishing on the North Umpqua just 15 minutes from my house. I love Oregon! If only we had hunting like Wyoming it would be paradise!

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I live in the wrong state for trout fishing, that's for sure.. But I live in the right state for bass fishing. Not as good as TX, OK, CA or FL... But we've got enough to keep me entertained.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I live in the wrong state for trout fishing, that's for sure.. But I live in the right state for bass fishing. Not as good as TX, OK, CA or FL... But we've got enough to keep me entertained.
Don't let them snow ya, Fink. I'd happily give up a few scrawny stream trout to have the turkey and deer hunting you have in your home state.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the Shack Nasties are gettin' you guys. The trout fishing is pretty darn good right NOW! OOps shouldn't have said that, shhh just keep that one to yourselves. I'm all for the thunder chickens and morels though you boys makin' me hongry!

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Sounds like the Shack Nasties are gettin' you guys. The trout fishing is pretty darn good right NOW! OOps shouldn't have said that, shhh just keep that one to yourselves. I'm all for the thunder chickens and morels though you boys makin' me hongry!
Where on earth is the trout fishing good? All I've caught are perch and walleye!

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Fishing for trout on tailwaters is good right now. If you click on the link I posted you'll see some winter pictures.

Small midges will get them in winter.

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma

We live buy the same rules here in OK. But have you not ever fished the dis-charge of Table Rock? It is awesome trout fishing & on the other side on the lake is really good bass fishing.

Old Hunter,
If I lived out there in your neck of the woods, I'd be after them trout just like you. I enjoy fishing Rio Chama in the summer. It's hard to come back home to the heat after been out there for a little while. One of these days, when I retire (in about 30 years!). I'm going to give all my land, cattle & equipment to my kids & move out west. At least part of the year, not sure I'll stay in the winter.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
We live buy the same rules here in OK. But have you not ever fished the dis-charge of Table Rock? It is awesome trout fishing & on the other side on the lake is really good bass fishing.
Taneycomo? I've fished it a few times. I'm honestly not too in to trout fishing. Between Taneycomo, and the White river system, there's actually quite a bit of trout fishing here.. I've always just enjoyed ripping down the lake in the Ranger chasing bass more than I did catching trout.

Can 'A River Runs Through It' still be my favorite movie?

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
You bet, it was a good one. I also really liked Legends of the Fall. Have you ever saw Last of the Dogmen? If not you need to, it is one of my favorites.