Hurricane Florence

hoshour

Veteran member
Hurricane Florence, projected to be a Cat 5 storm when it hits our state in the next couple of days has a projected path right by us and our family.

To the east of us, rainfall is forecast to be 25". We are far enough inland and the storm is expected to move slowly enough that the winds should weaken quickly, so winds shouldn't be too big a problem for us, but you never know. I'm praying that the very large, old trees around our daughters' houses don't come down and crush their houses. They're going to stay with us, so our house is liable to be a zoo for a few days. Prayers appreciated.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I'll send some prayers up for you and all those that will be affected by this storm. Hurricanes are not to be taken lightly, it's something you'll never forget if you go through a category 3 or stronger. Hang in there hoshour!

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
To all our friends in the Tidewater country, get someplace safe.

Isabel was the last one I had to deal with back home in Maryland before we moved to Iowa in 2003. We lost power for weeks, but power can be repaired, lives can't be replaced.

As has been said, Hurricanes are not something to mess with. Our thoughts are with you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hoshour

Veteran member
To all our friends in the Tidewater country, get someplace safe.

Isabel was the last one I had to deal with back home in Maryland before we moved to Iowa in 2003. We lost power for weeks, but power can be repaired, lives can't be replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Yup, my cousins evacuated when Hurricane Camille came through Mississippi and came back to find nothing left.

The hurricane predicted path has shifted so that instead of coming through us it is now to the south. We'll see how that goes. The current prediction for Thursday is for an 80-90% chance of tropical force winds (minimum 39 mph), but hey, that sounds a lot like Wyoming!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Hold fast and God help anyone crazy enough to ride out that storm. I heard this morning that 40" of rain is expected there.

I'm far enough into Georgia that I dont have to worry.

However, I had to remove all of my employees from the coastline.

They left yesterday.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Yup, my cousins evacuated when Hurricane Camille came through Mississippi and came back to find nothing left.

The hurricane predicted path has shifted so that instead of coming through us it is now to the south. We'll see how that goes. The current prediction for Thursday is for an 80-90% chance of tropical force winds (minimum 39 mph), but hey, that sounds a lot like Wyoming!
39 mph winds ain't nothing. that's a weekly occurance around here

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Trivia:

How much windage is on a 150 grain winchester silvertip 300 WSM bullet at 500 yards with a 60MPH crosswind?

hoshour

Veteran member
They've changed the predicted path so that it should go about 100-125 miles south of us but we still have a 70-80% chance of 39-58 mph winds and 6-15" of rain.

But you know how these things go, the local news and weather channel play up the drama, the store shelves go bare, people get nervous and then it ends up being a minor event for all but a few. That's kind of what I expect as far as winds and rain.

My main concern is the humongous trees next to my daughter's houses. I won't be surprised if one comes down or at least drops a big old limb on top of the house and puts a whole in the roof. That's why they're not staying at home.

The other thing is here in the East all the electrical wires are strung all over from pole to pole. It's the ugliest thing and it means we could lose electricity for awhile from limbs and trees being down, which with temps in the 90s and humidity about 60% lately can be a real bear.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
They've changed the predicted path so that it should go about 100-125 miles south of us but we still have a 70-80% chance of 39-58 mph winds and 6-15" of rain.

But you know how these things go, the local news and weather channel play up the drama, the store shelves go bare, people get nervous and then it ends up being a minor event for all but a few. That's kind of what I expect as far as winds and rain.

My main concern is the humongous trees next to my daughter's houses. I won't be surprised if one comes down or at least drops a big old limb on top of the house and puts a whole in the roof. That's why they're not staying at home.

The other thing is here in the East all the electrical wires are strung all over from pole to pole. It's the ugliest thing and it means we could lose electricity for awhile from limbs and trees being down, which with temps in the 90s and humidity about 60% lately can be a real bear.
Why they don't go underground with the power lines is a mystery. It must be the cost involved. They do it in new subdivisions out here.