Hurricane Florence

hoshour

Veteran member
A little update - the storm is weakening a lot so winds shouldn't be too much of an issue today and tomorrow. I'm sure that disappoints all the media folks, but they got a lot of coverage while they could.

But NOAA has upped the estimate on rainfall for our area to 10-20". If that happens, my guess is we'll see a lot of power outages.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't mind the wind but 10-20" inches of rain would destroy us.

that's about what we got for the entire year last year

hoshour

Veteran member
I think we ended up with 12" of rain at our house, not much damage that I can see, never lost power. The two ponds in our neighborhood were way over their banks, flooding the common areas, but those have been going back down

They actually put in place a 7 PM - 7 AM curfew today in our county because of flooded roads and power lines down, sometimes trees fallen across the road, just trying to keep roads free of cars so they could fix the issues tonight

There are plenty of people in NC and SC without power for the last three days and they probably won't get it back on in some places for a few more days. Lots of people would appreciate prayers. Some places in NC got over 30" of rain this weekend.

Thanks for all your prayers.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My son (owns his own trucking business) is in SC . Told me lots of rain and some wind, but not too bad. He unloaded today and picked up another load for Wisconsin.

Glad everything ok with you Dave. Leaving for Wyoming on Oct 1 antelope hunting with 2 friends from Ca.

Swift

Feb 14, 2015
Fairbanks AK
Ive been through a few hurricanes in the time ive been living here, but this one really opened my eyes. I had 5 days without power and when I saw those lineman crews coming down my road I was very relieved. Those guys worked their butts off and many of the crews had to sleep in their trucks since all of the hotels were closed due to damage, loss of power, or no employees to operate the place.

I just happen to live in the area with the largest measured rainfall (Swansboro NC). 34" is a lot of damn rain. I got lucky and had limited damage, my laundry room was destroyed after the wind blew shingles off of my house and the water started pouring through the drywall. Many of those that evacuated got to return to destroyed houses since they couldn't manage the water coming into their houses. My whole neighborhood is full of piles of household goods sitting on the street waiting for the county to haul it off.
We still don't know when schools will be able to open back up. There are still plenty of families who cant live in their homes or have had businesses destroyed.
These last 6 months before retirement cant come fast enough so I can move back home to Wyo.

hoshour

Veteran member
I think you'll be pretty safe from hurricanes in Wyoming! Not so sure about high winds and below-zero temps. I'd love to have a home in both states.

Sorry to hear about your house. People who haven't lived in hurricane country don't realize how long it takes for life to get back to normal if it hits your town hard. I'd call 34" of rain getting hit hard.