Hunting With Someone You Meet On a Hunting Forum...

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
I have never done this, always been told that could be a huge mistake. But at the same time, it's hard for some of us to find someone with the same amount of hunting obsession/passion and knowledge. I know of quite a few situations where people did this and it always seems to be just a good time and they do well. I just don't know anyone in person who shares the same obsession as me. So it is very tempting for me to plan a hunt with...well...a stranger! But obviously you would meet up before the hunt? I don't know, anyone have experiences or just info on this? Seems dumb and risky, but awesome at the same time.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Have done it five times. One guy has hunted with me two years in a row now and will again next year. I went with a guy and his daughter on a ML hunt in NM and it was not what was described, but we had a good time. One guy shared his antelope PPs with me two years ago in Wyoming so that we could hunt the unit I knew well and the hunt went just fine. One guy hunted one time with me in my area and with my help took home 2 deer and 2 antelope and I've never heard from him since he left with not even a thank you! The other hunt was with a guy I thought I knew really well after being on a website for over two years and it was a real bust when the two week trip we were supposed to be on resulted in him shooting his antelope the first day and he went back home to MN the next morning!!! All in all I guess I'd do it again, but it's lucky that I was supplying the camping gear on that one that went bust so that I was able to stay out there on my own or I would have been in deep dodo!

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have done it a few times my self but it was never planned. I've met other hunters in the field and have helped them fill their tags. The way I see it is if I offer to help them I hunt the way they hunt and I have to be prepared for what that could be. They could hunt my tail off or drive the roads. It's not my hunt I'm there to help them. This way I have no expectations either way. As far as planning a hunt and spending multipal days and I have my own tag. Then I would have to say that I would only go with my partners that I have hunted with for years.

Ridgerunner

Feb 21, 2011
I've met and hunted with several off forums, mainly the Washington state forum mainly. Found and hunted with great guys actually, guys that share the same passion.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Never done it either,but I would assume it would be ok if you are both die hard outdoorsman like most of us,but I also could see it being not so good if one was not to do any communication before hand and they really aren't like you! Any way where about s you at? I'm about an hour east of Fargo, maybe we'll have to do some huntin!

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Its probably better to go on a short date (bird hunt, predator hunt, varmint hunt, ect ect) before you waste vacation time or points with someone you know nothing about. I could only imagine losing my license or gear because of some yahoo getting excited and poaching an animal or something along those lines. I have close friends that are good people that I won't go hunting with because of some of their hunting stories. Just because you get along as friends doesn't mean you share the same passion, morals, and ethics when it comes to hunting and being safe.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I went duck hunting with a guy I met on a forum probably 14 or 15 years ago. The hunt was lousy, and we never got into the birds, and by the end of the morning ended up hitting rocks with boat paddles back at the boat ramp.

The guy was a pretty cool dude, and today, I count him among my closest friends.. Was even in his wedding a few years back.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I've ran into a few guys off MM when I've been on hunts. In always in shock when someone calls me by name and I'm 1000 miles from home and I don't recognize the person. Since they hunt the same area we do we'll meet up for a steak at the local restaurant before splitting ways.

I have my first scheduled hunt with a guy on a forum this year for woodcock. I expect it to go well or he wouldn't have gotten the invite out to our place.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I posted on Bowsite in 1996 and the first response I got was a guy from Oregon who I have been hunting with ever since. I actually didn't even know what the internet was back then. Just complained to my sister about my local hunting buddies who kept backing out of going out west with me. She told me about it and I searched and found Bowsite, and posted. The only bad thing is he snores so loud we have to pitch our tents 50 yards apart. Don't know if I snore the same.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I am always up for a hunt. When I was a non hunter, my friends always tried to get me to come along. I assumed they were die hard hunters from all the stories.....then I bought a hunting bow and got hooked. Turns out they are good at stories.... Lol

I hunt like a mofo and camp like a king! I met a fellow eastmans member here several years back. We emailed a bit, talked on the phone several times, and by the time the season csme around he brought a friend. We had a great time and one of them got an elk to boot! I think we were both nervous not really knowing each other, and yet in the end in my opinion made two great friends and look forward to hunting with them again some day.

I agree with emails, phone calls etc to try and feel them out some before just jumping in. You are probably going to find a better hunt buddy than your local buddy on here!! :)

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
BTW - It's really a good idea for safety purposes if nothing else. Especially if you backpack like I sometimes do. In those scenarios it could be better to go with even a less than perfect buddy.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
BTW - It's really a good idea for safety purposes if nothing else. Especially if you backpack like I sometimes do. In those scenarios it could be better to go with even a less than perfect buddy.
Exact reason I've been hesitant to do some of the hunts in the back country that I would like to do. I may either have to man up and go alone or look at different alternatives to find a hunting partner.

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
Great stories! I just know a guy off Facebook that is a few years older than me. And he kills 160 class mulies every year it seems, and I commented on it, and he asked me to buy a tag and go along, he's probably on this site actually haha.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Exact reason I've been hesitant to do some of the hunts in the back country that I would like to do. I may either have to man up and go alone or look at different alternatives to find a hunting partner.
I hunt alone a lot and I'm 72 years old. I carry a SPOT gps system that I think is great....so does my wife. She used to complain a lot about me hunting alone, but now is ok with it as long as I have the SPOT. You can set up a message and sent it to your email telling them your ok, back at camp or whatever. You can send 2 messages, you just compose them in advance. It also sends out a distress call with your GPS location if you get in trouble. I bought mine from Cabelas on sale for around 125 and it costs 100 a year. Cheap insurance me thinks!

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Zim,

I thought Randy pitching his tent 50 yards away was due to the Banjo that was in your jeep........

I met Zim many years ago through the Internet and we have been on many hunts together in many different states and consider him a close friend.

Last edited:

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
I hunt alone a lot and I'm 72 years old. I carry a SPOT gps system that I think is great....so does my wife. She used to complain a lot about me hunting alone, but now is ok with it as long as I have the SPOT. You can set up a message and sent it to your email telling them your ok, back at camp or whatever. You can send 2 messages, you just compose them in advance. It also sends out a distress call with your GPS location if you get in trouble. I bought mine from Cabelas on sale for around 125 and it costs 100 a year. Cheap insurance me thinks!
I know several solo hunters that carry a spot gps. I think it is great & I agee money well spent!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I suppose this could turn out good or bad depending on who it was. Honestly 1/2 of why I hunt is to get some time to myself and get away from the world for a few days so I have never really looked for a hunting partner. I hunted with others mostly before I moved to WA in 2007 but they were people I knew pretty well and I was going with them to places they had hunted before. Since I started hunting on my own and doing my own research I have hunted alot better areas and been more successful. I will admit there are times it would be nice to have someone else along but for the most part I would rather hunt alone even in very remote areas. As a few others have said I do have a SPOT I take with me so I can let everyone know Im still alive or call in a chopper if it comes down to that. I have never had a situation where I really needed it but it would save your life if you ever got hurt bad even if you werent alone.