Hunting With Someone You Meet On a Hunting Forum...

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
If I were to go hunting very far from home with someone I didnt know very well I would be sure to take all my own gear and drive my truck so if it all went south and they wanted out I could take them to the nearest bus station and they could go home and I could stay and hunt.

DoubleTrouble

Apr 3, 2012
I trade one our two hunts a year.....never had any issues! Here is a swap I did this year......

Fishing for deer!

Last edited:

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
If I were to go hunting very far from home with someone I didnt know very well I would be sure to take all my own gear and drive my truck so if it all went south and they wanted out I could take them to the nearest bus station and they could go home and I could stay and hunt.

***I can echo that and you may have missed my post early in the thread, but here is the bad one that happened to me back in 2010 in Wyoming:
The other hunt was with a guy I thought I knew really well after being on a website for over two years and it was a real bust when the two week trip we were supposed to be on resulted in him shooting his antelope the first day and he went back home to MN the next morning!!! All in all I guess I'd do it again, but it's lucky that I was supplying the camping gear on that one that went bust so that I was able to stay out there on my own or I would have been in deep dodo!

Engideer

Jul 16, 2013
Arkansas
Hardest thing to do is find an old fart like me who still can hump up & down the mts...just a lot slower!!
Hey CC, it isn't as fun as hunting, but I am headed to your neck of the woods in May/June, and I would enjoy buying you lunch and getting to hear some hunting stories from someone who has been in that area a lot. As stupid as it sounds I come out there and hang some cameras in early summer and then pick them up when I come hunt.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
***I can echo that and you may have missed my post early in the thread, but here is the bad one that happened to me back in 2010 in Wyoming:
The other hunt was with a guy I thought I knew really well after being on a website for over two years and it was a real bust when the two week trip we were supposed to be on resulted in him shooting his antelope the first day and he went back home to MN the next morning!!! All in all I guess I'd do it again, but it's lucky that I was supplying the camping gear on that one that went bust so that I was able to stay out there on my own or I would have been in deep dodo!
I would be just fine with them driving separately and leaving early. As long as I can stay and hunt as long as I want to im happy.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Hey CC, it isn't as fun as hunting, but I am headed to your neck of the woods in May/June, and I would enjoy buying you lunch and getting to hear some hunting stories from someone who has been in that area a lot. As stupid as it sounds I come out there and hang some cameras in early summer and then pick them up when I come hunt.
When your plans firm up, let me know a time frame and we can do it.

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
What a great thread! I love hearing the stories, good and bad! I went ahead and have been talking to a guy near me about fishing and we are planning that I take him spearing pike, and he takes me perch fishing. I've gone perch fishing few times this winter, but he's...REALLY GOOD haha. And he's never been spearing. He has told me a few spots to try perching and I have done well. He said he rarely releases his fishing spots. So I'm glad I reached out and talked to him. This thread helped! thanks for helping put some fish in my belly and met a new friend!

It's big trips that are the riskiest. I mean, I only know of one person who would want to do a two week elk hunt. Or build up points together for some good units. But it's also risky to trust someone online. Even if you meet once or twice before hand. But I suppose without risk, there's no reward. Anymore stories or comments!? Let's keep this thread alive a little longer.

Engideer

Jul 16, 2013
Arkansas
Most of my hunts are solo, that way there is no one else to worry about. I have planned hunts with people that backed out, (one was the day before we left), but it didn't hurt anything since i was going anyway. I agree I would never be dependent on someone I didn't know as far as gear or travel is concerned. I imagine having 2-3 people would sure make packing out easier though! Lol

mattdeere

Jul 27, 2013
Central California
I've hunted with some close friends and complete strangers and have had mixed results. I've never hunted with someone I've met on a forum but I would definitely do it if we seemed to be like minded. I would definitely take all my own gear and not plan on sharing the first go around. Just my 2 cents!