Hunting Seasons In Trouble?

timdraper90

Mar 30, 2020
A lot of activities and events have been cancelled because of this pandemic. I even cancelled a few of my metal detecting ventures just to be safe. I just wish they can find a vaccine soon so we can go back to our normal lives.

Last edited:

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
Just a question...what happens if hunting seasons are closed this year? May not be likely, but as a NR hunter I am concerned. Do you think the agencies will cancel tags? Carry over any drawn or purchased tags to 2021?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Don't expect a "carry over" for the tags.

Each states DOW will have to decide just what they plan on doing. Refunding tag fees will be a big hit in their operating bucket.

A vaccine won't be here until at least this fall if even then. The last I heard was it is at a minimum 12 months away. They just started trials on humans last month. Perhaps if they see good progress with it it may be here this fall but don't hold your breath.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Just a question...what happens if hunting seasons are closed this year? May not be likely, but as a NR hunter I am concerned. Do you think the agencies will cancel tags? Carry over any drawn or purchased tags to 2021?
hard to say. whatever they do I am sure folks will roll with it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I just saw where Utah is offering full refunds along with a point for this year and getting their points back on their LE turkey hunts if you return your tag by the 10th of this month.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Don't expect a "carry over" for the tags.

Each states DOW will have to decide just what they plan on doing. Refunding tag fees will be a big hit in their operating bucket.
According to some folks, NON residents don't contribute much in the way of G&F support so it should not impact them much at all. :rolleyes:

Saw on another site a member stating that states should keep all the money and cancel hunts if needed without refund.
We'll I understand his point of helping wildlife, but I'm sure he'd think differently if his time-share week was cancelled without a refund. Of course, if he'd read this he'd disagree with this statement as well.... he's just that kinda character. :sneaky:

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
According to some folks, NON residents don't contribute much in the way of G&F support so it should not impact them much at all. :rolleyes:

Saw on another site a member stating that states should keep all the money and cancel hunts if needed without refund.
We'll I understand his point of helping wildlife, but I'm sure he'd think differently if his time-share week was cancelled without a refund. Of course, if he'd read this he'd disagree with this statement as well.... he's just that kinda character. :sneaky:
The world is full of them.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have been a good sport and played the kings ransom game with western tags for 20 years.

If someone takes my money and doesnt provide me what is promised or a voucher for such promise, thats stealing.

I will then make my own terms/agenda.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'm intentionally not applying for any non-res tags this year so I won't get caught up in what could be quite a mess.
However, for everyone who does apply, it sure seems like it would be illegal for states to cancel seasons without providing a refund.
Sounds like stealing to me too.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
nah ...resident poachers will pick up the slack. ;) :D

if things are still that bad , they will be needing the deer and elk hides for buttwhipe

Reactions: idcwby

brian.320

Feb 27, 2011
Getting refund for south dakota turkey. See montana closed turkey and spring bear to NR's today.