Huntin Rigs

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
So lets see em boys.

Or how are you getting to where you hunt, what do you stay in, and how are you getting around? I thought it would be interesting to see how some of you are getting it done in the back country.

wa-hunter

Apr 24, 2014
outastaterig.jpg
out of state rig
then the in state rigs nothing like driving home with an archery blacktail in the trunk of a geo
geo.jpgtoy.jpg

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Wa that Toyota is super cool I bet she goes about anywhere!

I stay in a tipi a lot lately and either a 98 dodge cummins on 33's gets me around if the roads are not that bad.

Or if the roads are bad I take out a Ford Explorer.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon

ColoradoV, this is a cool thread, thanks for starting it. I've often thought it would be good to have a thread where everyone could share how they equip for their hunts.

I am blessed to have my wife as my main hunting partner. She started hunting the fall of 2010 and has taken a California bighorn, cow elk (has a bull tag for Wyoming this year!), blacktail buck, a couple mule deer and several antelope. When she started hunting with me it was very important to me that she would be comfortable so she would want to keep going on hunts with me. The strategy has worked!

We shopped around and found a camper for my 2006 F-350 (short bed). We upgraded the mattress with the same type as we have at home. The camper has a small shower/toilet, kitchen area, refrigerator and dining spot but is comfortable for the two of us. Living in Oregon, we typically travel around 1500 to 3500 miles round trip for our main hunt for the year and are gone anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks (the year my wife drew tags in 5 states including her sheep tag...rolly eyes). Our set-up has made even the longest trips comfortable.

The camper also has a propane generator along with 15 gallons of propane and dual batteries. It has electric jacks and only takes about 20 minutes to pull off the truck or to put it back on. When we pull camper off the truck, it gives us two vehicles to hunt with, one to drop off at the pick-up point and one to drive to where we start the day's hike. The camper brings in around 45 gallons of water for a hunt with more water on the trailer.

Most of the hunting gear rides in the back seat of the truck with a large part of it in a huge ice chest, which can also be used to carry ice for the hunt or meat home from the trip. When the cooler is used, I just find temporary spaces for the hunting gear.

On the trailer is a small chest freezer sitting in an angle iron "nest" on the tongue, which is used to haul processed meat (cut and wrapped) back from the hunt. To keep the meat frozen, we use dry ice or plug the freezer into the generator of the camper, or plug into 120v at night at an RV park. On the way to the hunt we use the chest freezer to haul frozen prepared vacuum packed meals on dry ice so we don't have to cook after hunting all day. After a few days of hunting the dry ice is gone, so we use the generator for a few hours a day to keep the food frozen and to recharge the camper batteries.

We also carry around 10-12 five gallon cans of water (blue cans) on the trailer, and in various spots on the Rhino. They are used to refill the camper as needed. I also carry a gravity filter to filter water into the cans when we have a water supply nearby.

Behind the water cans is a gear box, where I haul tools, backpacks, shovel, etc.

Behind the gear box are eight Tuff Jugs with fuel. I try to make the best estimate of how much I'll be using the truck (diesel) and how much we'll be using the Rhino (gasoline) and fill up accordingly.

Next to the Rhino are the ramps that just so happened to wedge in snug between the Rhino and the wheel wells.

After about 8 days we need to head back to town with the rig to empty the blackwater, refill with water and fuel, do laundry, eat out and take a long shower. We usually plan these restocking trips on the weekend when most of the locals are out hunting.

In the future we'd like to go with a dual axle enclosed trailer to keep everything a bit more secure, but so far the flatbed has worked well.

P.S. Another reason we love the camper set-up is when it's time to fish, we just trade out the trailer for the boat, which gives us a vehicle and a place to stay. :)

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Lone Cone 004.jpg2013 F350 Lariat 4x4 002.jpgHunting Trailer 002.jpg

On another thread you can see how I converted a cargo trailer into a hunting rig. I carry everything including 2 atv's in it. Set up a 12x12 patio awning with a couple of 6' tables and a big propane stove. Sleep in the trailer on bunks that fold up on the walls. 6000 btu catalytic heater inside too. Pull it with a 2013 F350 4x4 crew cab, short bed, 6.7 powerstroke diesel.I have 2 atv's, a Polaris 500 & 400. I also carry a 10Cu Ft chest freezer in the truck, extra fuel & water and a 4k generator. I also have a winch lifting rig that fits in the trailer receiver so I can hang a deer, or elk for skinning and quartering. All the food and cooking stuff is carried in big plastic tubs and also have 2 150 qt. ice chests plus 2 more 50 quarters.

Works out well as I also store everything in the trailer when I am not using it.

Last edited:

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
I usually load about 50 lbs on each animal and hike as far into the country as I can. I use a 2 horse trailer and F150 Ecoboost to get there. I set up a simple waterproof tent, stake out the animals and hunt some great country. I am jealous of a few of your set-ups - very nice accommodations.

20140801_105319.jpg20140930_152020.jpg

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
This is usually how I go. Getting soft I guess.

We have also gotten soft. No more sleeping in a tent hoping the snow doesn't collapse it. We like having a furnace and nice soft warm beds to sleep in. The shower is always nice. I especially like having an indoor toilet because I hate looking for a tree to squat behind in the rain or snow.DSCN0360.jpg

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Don't have any pics of them handy, but it depends on how I'm hunting. If I'm taking an ATV or UTV I drive my ranch truck, a 2012 Ford F-350 diesel crew cab short bed. I ordered it in with vinyl everything and locking rear differential. It has a custom front bumper/grill guard and a flatbed with a 40 gallon reserve tank of fuel hooked into the filler neck on a valve. It gets around decent for such a heavy vehicle but isn't great. It sure gets a trailer down the road to wherever I'm going though. The ranch also has a Polaris 900 ranger I use on some trips, and a nice little tilt bet trailer to haul it. Got 4 good ranch horses too and a trailer if I ever choose to take them.

If I'm not taking a ATV or trailer, I have an old 98 GMC suburban I bought last summer with a new motor and only 96k miles. It drives and works really well. It gets around pretty well, has locking rear differential also and I run Cooper ST Maxx tires that seem good for all around use. Like a real aggressive all terrain that wear better than the Hankook MT's I have on the stuff that stays off the highway more. Have the Coopers on my Ford also.

Closer to home I have an 88 GMC Jimmy that gets around great. I put 16" rims and 285/75 10 ply Hankook MT tires on it. It has the locking rear differential and a custom rear bumper with a tire carrier. I found it in incredible shape a couple years ago with under 100k original miles looking like it came off a showroom floor. It's still nice but not that pretty anymore. I'd trust it to drive on out of state trips but the guys splitting the fuel cost might complain a little.

My beater truck I use on the ranch and for some hunting is a 93 chevy 3/4 ton with a 454 and Detroit Locker in the back axle. It also has 285/75 Hankook MT tires. Most of the year it has my Montezuma toolbox on the back that makes a ton of noise though so I don't hunt out of it as much anymore.

Camping it's usually the Kifaru Megatarp. I've been to cheap to buy a nice big tent for truck camping, usually I'm either staying in town or somewhere I have to walk to. It's on the list as I get older though someday I'll have one.

sodaksooner

Jul 7, 2014
Like your setups, especially tim and colorado V. Love the Explorer

Here's mine. Hoping to add a low profile roof rack(tied to the roll cage) and a roof top tent. Also have a trailer I am starting to build.

Of course I'll have the top and doors on during the season.

SoccerJeep.jpg

IDELKFVR

Dec 15, 2013
EMMETT,IDAHO
I use the same thing Colorado cowboy uses. three place snowmobile trailer with a couple cots for beds. I added a radiant heater that is a five tile heater if anyone knows what that is and have never got it over more than one tile. Sometimes I take the four wheeler but cant use it much where I hunt. I have survived some pretty good rain storms that when you wake up there is a foot of snow outside always interesting. Best thing is you can take the whole thing home and unload and then hose it out its easy to clean. Pulled it with a ford f150 ecobost.

hvfd21walker

Dec 18, 2011
Bitteroots

Here is my hunting setup from last year. I did just upgrade my Duramax to a 2016 a few weeks ago. Just don't have pics of it yet. I'm fortunate that I get to hunt close to home and just use my Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
That is one cool bronco.. Always fun to see that hunters seem to take it up a notch getting around. I also could not agree more with some of you that comfort is 1st when taking the wife and kidos. My oldest daughter learned to walk at a elk camp and we take our 5th wheel with heater anytime the kids and wife are going. My wife just started hunting as well and keeping them comfy was a big step in the process.

Also any time the kidos and wife are alone I also have another addition to my "rig". My best buddy Pete the pitbull! A big softy but still a 90lb rescue pit who keeps a eye on the girls while I am out scouting or hunting.