how much ammo??

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
so how much ammo do others on site pack if on a backpack hunt, for week or more.?

I generally just bring a box of twenty.

I realize shouldn't need more then one per kill but have used as many as 4, though never more. so far!

I just figure ,ammo is one thing worth packing a lil extra weight.
better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it, type of thing.

what thinks others??

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When I was hiking a way into a area I would usually have close to 40 rounds. A box of 20 in my pack, 3 or 4 rounds in the rifle, and another 10 or so in my cartridge carrier that was on my belt.

Even now when I don't hike into a area to camp I will still pack the same amount but that box of 20 will usually say in the vehicle.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
3 in the gun
3 in a spare clip
10 on the belt in a flip holder
10 in another flip holder stashed in a belt pocket

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
one other thing I will mention is .. when backpacking with others I try to pick same caliber weapon as others ,(if possible). that way ,if one hunter does happen to run out(hasn't happened yet) he can borrow some backup.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Four in the gun, three in an extra clip, and perhaps a half dozen in the backpack if staying away from the vehicle for extended period of time

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
4 in the gun, 2 to 4 on the sling, 8 on my hip and just a few extras in case something happens and i have to check my zero...
good point! never know when one may slip and fall.

sure would be a shame to have to cut a hunt short on such a note because of lack of ammo.

this is one of the reasons ,I like to carry same caliber as those I hunt with ,when possible

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
4 in my rifle, 5 in a pouch on my pack, and another 10 inside my pack.
As has been mentioned, I carry the extra rounds in my pack just in case I drop my rifle or something and have to check my zero.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
A box if I'm not day hunting, 10 if I am day hunting. I also always have 40 extras in the truck if I'm out of state. I handload and usually shoot a 264 win mag on antelope or deer so I'm not going to be able to run to town for more. My back-up gun on those hunts is a 270 or 300 win that I can find ammo for if necessary.

I live at 1200ft of elevation and usually hunt at 6000-10000ft. I like to shoot my rifle if at all possible after arriving near the area I plan to hunt. I have a polymer gong and frame I throw in the truck. I put a piece of tape over the center of the gong so I can see hits at 100yds. I like to shoot at 100 to check zero and elevation and then shoot 3x at 400yds. Once I'm good there I'm confident everything is ready for the hunt. I have had scopes knocked off zero and had it cost me so I am probably a little overboard on this. It helps my confidence which increases my success.

For AK this fall I will take 24 rounds due to weight constraints, but the guy I'm going with is shooting his 300WM also with 180gr Accubonds and 2gr less of the same powder. In a pinch we can share ammo, we know what our loads do in each others rifles. He is taking 24 rounds also.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I take 3 in the magazine and one in the chamber and one individual in each front pocket...never in the same pocket though.... Maybe another one or two in my backpack.

If I was on a backpack hunt I would take a box in case I rolled down a hill or something crazy.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I always travel with 2 full boxes and a few spares when I'm going out of state. I'm very picky about what ammo I shoot so want to make sure I have enough to re-zero if necessary and practice at elevation when I get somewhere. As far as day to day, 4 in the rifle, 4 on the stock, and a few in the pack. Haven't used more than what I had in the rifle in 10+ years.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Personally, I want to hear the story from 10+ years ago!

Been there myself....I ran out of shells fall turkey hunting several times many moons ago... lol