How many of you will get the Covid shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My county is slower here in Colorado that CC's is. But I saw this and it includes all the states with links to when you can get the vaccine.

I am also going to get it this coming spring.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
colorado v
for me, i learned to row boats in my early 20's needing a job in alaska. Once i returned to Idaho(the whitewater state) i joined up with some old school boaters and they took me under there wings. I ran class V and still have my kayaks, but i bought a cat and enjoy that now. The multi day trips are super fun. Rivers are just life and mean so much. And you are correct lots of good whitewater in Idaho.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I’m not getting the vaccine, don’t get the flu shot either and haven’t been sick since college. Always figured what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. I understand there has been a lot money thrown at making this vaccine, but still makes me nervous how fast it has rolled out.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I actually don't mind the short time frame that it took to push this vaccine through the channels and believe that it will be a safe one. But there will be those that have a reaction to it like anything.

My biggest gripe about drugs and vaccines is just how long that they take to actually go through the normal channels before the FDA will allow them to hit the market. I believe that it was Trump that issued a executive action or got a law pushed through that allows patients that have a terminal disease to be allowed to take untested drugs and treatments. Some work and some don't but at least they get to try something instead of it sitting on the shelf just out of reach.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I’ll only worry about it in advance of a scheduled Canada fishing trip in June. The reason being I contracted a full blown case of Covid November 9th and from recent reports there looks to be some long term immunity with it. But I won’t know if Canada will accept a positive test in place of a vaccine for entry. Will be paying attention as time gets closer.

BTW - It’s very very nasty and you don’t want it. My symptoms were severe for ten days, then I got a bonus pox rash for days 10-24. Hope my headaches didn’t damage my brain. Hope my lungs eventually come back to normal. Could not think straight on some days as 02 levels were in the 80’s.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bonecollector

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think the vaccine is going to be available about the time most areas are reaching, or will have already reached herd immunity. Glancing around various state websites today, a lot are rapidly declining. The entire state of Wyoming only had 15 confirmed on Saturday. Nebraska is steadily declining for the last several weeks. I think the push to take the vaccine will continue though... They need to sell all those right away to make their billions.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
All it will take is to lose a loved one to it and you'll get in line.
I believe you are likely correct in many instances. I just think it will be too late to do any good for the general population in most areas. I have done the most work on this in Nebraska as it's part of my job. We currently have had 149,344 positive cases. It is generally accepted by the CDC and other medical professionals that for each confirmed positive there is 8 to 10 actual cases. X8 in Nebraska is equal to 63% of our population. X10 is equal to 78%. We are simply running out of people to infect. Our state reporting confirms this but the media won't even mention it. I have seen very similar trends in many other states. Here is our current dashboard.
Pretty obvious what's happening... Herd immunity is being reached.

Attachments

archbull

Nov 25, 2019
CO
Interesting. That definitely makes since. Have they ever decided if you can have it a second time?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Interesting. That definitely makes since. Have they ever decided if you can have it a second time?
There are a few reports but there is skepticism because there have been so many false positives. For instance our local football team gets tested daily. They have had 20 false positives over the last 2 months and 1 actual confirmed positive after pcr testing. The general public doesn't get that additional testing so it's natural that some with a false positive early on will eventually actually get Covid. Currently I'm not aware of anyone that has had it twice and been confirmed via pcr test.

Reactions: idcwby

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I’ll only worry about it in advance of a scheduled Canada fishing trip in June. The reason being I contracted a full blown case of Covid November 9th and from recent reports there looks to be some long term immunity with it. But I won’t know if Canada will accept a positive test in place of a vaccine for entry. Will be paying attention as time gets closer.

BTW - It’s very very nasty and you don’t want it. My symptoms were severe for ten days, then I got a bonus pox rash for days 10-24. Hope my headaches didn’t damage my brain. Hope my lungs eventually come back to normal. Could not think straight on some days as 02 levels were in the 80’s.
I have a question , not necessarily for zim but anyone who might know....

why does everyone assume the vaccine will keep them safe forever and give us herd immunity but those who actually get the disease won't achieve lasting immunity?????????

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I believe you are likely correct in many instances. I just think it will be too late to do any good for the general population in most areas. I have done the most work on this in Nebraska as it's part of my job. We currently have had 149,344 positive cases. It is generally accepted by the CDC and other medical professionals that for each confirmed positive there is 8 to 10 actual cases. X8 in Nebraska is equal to 63% of our population. X10 is equal to 78%. We are simply running out of people to infect. Our state reporting confirms this but the media won't even mention it. I have seen very similar trends in many other states. Here is our current dashboard.
Pretty obvious what's happening... Herd immunity is being reached.
The problem is that Covid makes good headlines and when we are in a state of fear we make poor decisions. It will take serious rocking the boat to get the poor decision making from all politicians off the table.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
There are a few reports but there is skepticism because there have been so many false positives. For instance our local football team gets tested daily. They have had 20 false positives over the last 2 months and 1 actual confirmed positive after pcr testing. The general public doesn't get that additional testing so it's natural that some with a false positive early on will eventually actually get Covid. Currently I'm not aware of anyone that has had it twice and been confirmed via pcr test.
The skepticism is not because most health experts believe reinfection is unlikely (OR the opposite). It's because the virus is so new they actually don't have good data on reinfection rates yet. Immunity is a resistance that fades with time. With some things like Chicken Pox immunity lasts many decades. With others it can be as short as months or weeks. We don't know that duration yet for COVID, so healthcare professionals are telling us it's irresponsible to build plans around it. I'd have to agree.

On the original thread, "herd immunity" strategies don't come from "let everyone get sick and those who live will give us herd immunity." That's insane - just for COVID it risks 1M-2M US citizens that would likely die if we didn't act. You wouldn't go grab samples of Ebola or Smallpox and inject everyone with it - you do everything you can to prevent their transmission.

The whole point of a vaccine is to give a population herd immunity WITHOUT the risk. Think about polio. Do we give everyone polio and then say "welp, those that didn't make it, thanks for your sacrifice! we're all immune now!" Of course not - how many people do you know in an iron lung? That was a real thing, not a conspiracy. To eradicate polio, you make a vaccine and inoculate the population. A vaccine gives the same or better herd immunity as actual infection, but without a bunch of people getting sick/dying for the same result. In fact, this vaccine is particularly safe because it's an mRNA type, which gives your immune system protection codes without having to inject the virus itself.

For those on the fence, just consider this one thing. If your rationale for skipping the vaccine is "I'm strong, I don't need it" you aren't impressing anyone. There aren't any songs sung or books written about "that guy who beat polio without the vaccine". If it makes you feel better about yourself, great, but to everyone else you look foolish, not smart. You're proving a point, but not the one you think.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I remember in the 50's when I was a kid all the young people who were getting polio. Rancho Los Amigos (operated by Los Angeles County) was a facility for caring for polio patients in iron lungs. It was only a mile from my house. I also remember everyone getting vaccinated for polio. Never hear about polio today.

Is there a lesson there? Just sayin..................

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The skepticism is not because most health experts believe reinfection is unlikely (OR the opposite). It's because the virus is so new they actually don't have good data on reinfection rates yet. Immunity is a resistance that fades with time. With some things like Chicken Pox immunity lasts many decades. With others it can be as short as months or weeks. We don't know that duration yet for COVID, so healthcare professionals are telling us it's irresponsible to build plans around it. I'd have to agree.

On the original thread, "herd immunity" strategies don't come from "let everyone get sick and those who live will give us herd immunity." That's insane - just for COVID it risks 1M-2M US citizens that would likely die if we didn't act. You wouldn't go grab samples of Ebola or Smallpox and inject everyone with it - you do everything you can to prevent their transmission.

The whole point of a vaccine is to give a population herd immunity WITHOUT the risk. Think about polio. Do we give everyone polio and then say "welp, those that didn't make it, thanks for your sacrifice! we're all immune now!" Of course not - how many people do you know in an iron lung? That was a real thing, not a conspiracy. To eradicate polio, you make a vaccine and inoculate the population. A vaccine gives the same or better herd immunity as actual infection, but without a bunch of people getting sick/dying for the same result. In fact, this vaccine is particularly safe because it's an mRNA type, which gives your immune system protection codes without having to inject the virus itself.

For those on the fence, just consider this one thing. If your rationale for skipping the vaccine is "I'm strong, I don't need it" you aren't impressing anyone. There aren't any songs sung or books written about "that guy who beat polio without the vaccine". If it makes you feel better about yourself, great, but to everyone else you look foolish, not smart. You're proving a point, but not the one you think.
Why are you targeting this at me? I said they were skeptical whether it had happened yet because it hasn't been confirmed. I never stated anything otherwise. In all my posts, I am simply stating what is actually happening. Many areas are approaching herd immunity before the vaccine has arrived from natural infection. I'm all for people taking the vaccine if they want to. By all means, lets end this so people can get back to living and so our economy can start rebuilding.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I remember in the 50's when I was a kid all the young people who were getting polio. Rancho Los Amigos (operated by Los Angeles County) was a facility for caring for polio patients in iron lungs. It was only a mile from my house. I also remember everyone getting vaccinated for polio. Never hear about polio today.

Is there a lesson there? Just sayin..................
I wonder how many remember the sugar cubes that we got with the vaccine drug on the cube for polio. I believe it was 63 or 64 when my mom took us down to a church in El Paso, Texas to get ours.

I had a friend and a cousin who had polio.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I wonder how many remember the sugar cubes that we got with the vaccine drug on the cube for polio. I believe it was 63 or 64 when my mom took us down to a church in El Paso, Texas to get ours.

I had a friend and a cousin who had polio.
I remember getting sugar cubes with a shot but I don't remember what the shot was for. This would have been early 70s

Status
Not open for further replies.