How many of you will get the Covid shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
But what about those who have caught this virus more than once? There are a number of them out there so their bodies are not developing natural antibodies

Then there is the fact that the vaccine is not 100% at preventing the virus, there is always that chance that even after getting the vaccine that you can catch it.
If a person can't develope antibodies, the vaccine won't do anything for them. A vaccine works by injecting a simulated or actual virus into your system so your body develops antibodies.

I don't understand your point with the second paragraph. If the vaccine won't work, it won't matter if a person takes it or not. This is a virus. It isn't going away. People will likely be vaccinated yearly to try to avoid getting... Similar to how we vaccinate for the flu.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
You're one of those who still think this is just the flu? The families of the 285,000 + dead in the U.S. alone would tell you it's not. :(

Do you have any first hand knowledge of this or just what your being feed by the news and sack of shi.. governor?

We currently have it 3 people
1 nothing wrong
1 mild cough
1 bad case of flu like symptoms

I can see where this could really affect someone with underlying conditions but a healthy person shouldn't have too many issues.

Sorry but the choice to take or not take an unproven vaccine is something each person will have to make for them selves.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
To go along with my statements above, I thought it would be good to share my first hand experience. I have seen this impact people differently. Several people in my small community of 800 have passed. All were 70+ and not in great shape except for one. One guy was 56 and in relatively good shape. He insisted on fighting it at home even when he got bad. When he finally gave in it was too late. He passed on the way to the hospital. His case was rare and most I have known never got that bad. Most of those rare ones that did still survived as long as they went in to get medical care. My mom was in this group. She is not a healthy person and is in her mid 70s. She went in as soon as it's moved into her chest. She recovered relatively quickly. Doctors said if she has waited a couple more days, it likely would have turned out differently. I say all of this because the narrative is that anyone against mandatory vaccine hasn't been impacted seriously by this virus. That just isn't true. I just simply believe that a person should be allowed to make their own choices when it comes to health care.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
To go along with my statements above, I thought it would be good to share my first hand experience. I have seen this impact people differently. Several people in my small community of 800 have passed. All were 70+ and not in great shape except for one. One guy was 56 and in relatively good shape. He insisted on fighting it at home even when he got bad. When he finally gave in it was too late. He passed on the way to the hospital. His case was rare and most I have known never got that bad. Most of those rare ones that did still survived as long as they went in to get medical care. My mom was in this group. She is not a healthy person and is in her mid 70s. She went in as soon as it's moved into her chest. She recovered relatively quickly. Doctors said if she has waited a couple more days, it likely would have turned out differently. I say all of this because the narrative is that anyone against mandatory vaccine hasn't been impacted seriously by this virus. That just isn't true. I just simply believe that a person should be allowed to make their own choices when it comes to health care.
I am not for or against taking the vaccine, but I am not going to be in a huge hurry to take it. Like you the number of people I know that have had the virus is over 100 and the stories are similar to what you laid out. What scares me more than the virus is how fear has caused people to willingly hand over their liberties to the government. In my mind that is much more dangerous than this virus.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
just found out last night , they are saying my mother has it and has been admitted to hospital. maybe she does , maybe she doesn't . doesn't really matter.

truth is she is 86 ,in poor health and has had dementia for past several years . I kind of look at it as, she died years ago, she just hasn't yet stopped breathing. she would rather die then continue on. I know for a fact she feels this way because she told me so many ,many times when she was still aware. but alas, we play the hand we're dealt ,not the one we wish for.
pretty much any ailment has the potential to do her in so in a way , IF this is actually the covid ,it may be more of a blessing then a curse for her to contract a quick killer over one that drags out.

if it's meant to be she will survive . if not .... well my point is death is not always something to be feared it is often a blessing.
besides it is merely a door , through which we all must walk.

I refuse to live my life cowering over the future.

the real tragedy is not death. the real tragedy is we have become a society that fears death so much , that we have made it policy to force loved ones to die alone .

Last edited:

Travis Horner

Feb 28, 2020
Powell, WY
You're one of those who still think this is just the flu? The families of the 285,000 + dead in the U.S. alone would tell you it's not. :(
No, I'm one of those that believes "This too shall pass." But the flu is pretty serious too with 38 million illnesses, 18 million medical visits, 405,000 hospitalizations, and 22,000 deaths this year alone and the flu hits annually and totaling the combined flue epidemics to hit the world since 1918, roughly 400 - 500 million lives have been lost to the flu. Covid is not the flu, but just as the Covids of the past have come and gone, so this will also come and go. I'm not fearful of Covid. My mother-in law has been in a state of MS since she was 26. She is currently paralyzed from the shoulder's down and is susceptible to every infection known to man. We have almost lost her 3 times in the last 10 years. She kicked Covid's ass like it was nothing....Perception is everything.

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I won't be getting the vaccine, nor will my wife or two daughters. This thing is not as scary as they want us all to believe. I'm not sure why I'd get this vaccine when I never get the flu vaccine. And, I never get sick, never even get the slightest cold. Never a cough, runny nose, stuffed up nose, nothing. I'm certainly not worried about covid and if I get it I get it. No big deal.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I won't be getting the vaccine, nor will my wife or two daughters. This thing is not as scary as they want us all to believe. I'm not sure why I'd get this vaccine when I never get the flu vaccine. And, I never get sick, never even get the slightest cold. Never a cough, runny nose, stuffed up nose, nothing. I'm certainly not worried about covid and if I get it I get it. No big deal.
I am in about the same boat . haven't had the flu in 20 years. I do get colds now an then but they ain't no thang.

on the other hand my twin brother always gets the flu vaccine and always gets the flu.

guess I got the good genes

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Back when I was working I would get a cold or some other bug about every year. But then I carpooled with a couple of others that has school age kids or as I called them "walking germ carriers"

The last time that I got the flu was all the way back in 1989, I have gotten a flu shot every year since and haven't came down with it again. I have had some colds but that is about it.

The last few years that I worked I was in and out of peoples homes hooking up DSL lines and working on their computers. I would go through a bottle of hand sanitizer every couple of days when I was doing this. Nothing says thanks like waking into a home with a few kids hanging around with snot running down their faces coughing all over the place.

Reactions: idcwby and taskswap

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
lots of great perspectives in this thread, but something caught my attention

Dang Colorado V i knew the V was class V but dang on both of those rivers. Respect from a river runner. No where near your level, but i did a solo hells canyon float in september. Fun times for sure.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Thanks man I grew up kayaking (started at 11yrs and was running class 3 by 13 years old) my parents were teachers (dad a river rat) so we did a US western multiday every year in the summer. Also grew up doing a lot of float fishing in the 80's and 90's - or fishing is why I learned to row a raft a such a young age as my dad wanted to fish and not row so at 11 years old here are the oars lol. Some great rivers up around you the Main fork as well as the Selway are 2 of my favorites. The North Fork of the Payette is world class = Jacobs ladder still gives me chills...

Honestly the Zambezi is not as bad as folks make it out (unless you dive into the negatives and that I never did) Yea very big pushy water but with a giant lake type eddie at the end of every single rapid. Almost set up for great playboating - if you swim pretty much no worries just gather the stuff in the eddy and continue on. Rafters ware no shoes and flip multiple times in a day. Cool group of international guides and boaters there as well also was pretty safe cool vibe. The White Nile is bigger was more unexplored and the river is just giant - giant or lots of islands and channels that are so big it is hard to describe and easy to get lost. Easy to walk most of it or giant sneak options and I took advantage of that many times lol. I was not a fan of the White due to once the local authority figures or basically 14 year old males with AK's know you are around they are eyeing you up everywhere we went. As per we paid quite a few bribes on that trip.. The times I felt the most at risk were not on the river as I would prefer a death not at the hands of a AK47.. Yea Africa w playboats as we did not bring creekers!!!

My favorite over the years is going down to the Patagonia region and south of that in Chile and Argentina man if they had Mulies I would pry still be down there. Friendly un armed locals lol, giant mountains, food /wine is unequalled, clear clean water, amazing waves, fruit trees, and siesta everyday! Kinda like going back in time to what colorado must have been like 120 years ago. A big plus for me is also no snakes or insects that will kill you I mean sleep under the stars no worries. Amazing fly fishing did I mention the fishing yea that good!! Lots of options down there Pucon is cool but still love the Fu or the Futaleufu and hope to take my girls down there in the next couple of years for a couple weeks at least to look at that southern cross and raft bridge to bridge..

Tim some great whitewater up around you been quite a few years since I have been up that way but missing it for sure. Hope you guys get good snow for the machines and have high flows this summer!

Oh yea sorry I guess we are talking about if we will get a vaccine.. It seems both giant waves and giant mule deer will get me going on a rant lol.

Reactions: eaglemountainman

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Found out yesterday my youngest sister (lives in California) has it. She has a lot of other health issues, so I am praying for her recovery.

Received notice from our County that my wife and I are in the second priority (age factor) and will be scheduled for the shots in the Spring.

Reactions: idcwby

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
my aunt has been in the hospital multiple times, she has copd and been on oxegen for a couple of years. IF anyone should have a hard time it is her and it has not been bad for her.

everyone knows someone who got it and it was no big deal. IT is truly hard to wrap my head around. one hand it is not killing many people statistically, but lots of people have died.

Status
Not open for further replies.