How is everyone keeping there knives sharp in the field?

RobinHood

Feb 27, 2011
Henderson, NV
What do you guys use to keep your knives sharp in the field?

I have never sharpened a knife during the field dressing process but would like to if it isn't to difficult. Just wanted to see how and with what others were honing their blades.

Thanks

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I also use Havalon. I got a flier that they are marketing a longer-bladed Piranta now, but the standard Piranta Z has served me well for 6 years. I never liked sharpening knives, anyway.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have this small yellow plastic sharpener with diamond and ceramic sharpeners. Bought it at a gun shop for a couple of bucks. Works wonderful, a couple of passes on each side and your good to go again. Keep it in my pocket.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I use an acusharp, it will touch up my knife and my two blade broadheads. Seems to do a pretty good job too! I have got to get one in a different color though, camo seems to get lost easy when you set it down.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
I use Havalon knives.......no need for sharpening....just replace the scalpel blade. If you want a knife with a little better blade strength, the Tigersharp knife is the exact same concept. I have one of each and utilize each depending on size of animal, etc.

http://www.havalon.com/

http://www.promaxcommerce.com/TigerSharp-Titanium-Bonded-Large-Lightweight-Folding/M/B001S7KETG.htm?traffic_src=bing_shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=bing_shopping
Which knife IYO works better for deer/elk from start to finish (skin, quarter, and de-bone)?

I picked up a Knives of Alaska Pronghorn hunter last year because it has D2 tool steel for the blade. D2 is super hard steel which makes it a pain to sharpen but it holds it's edge for a really long time. I field dressed 7 deer last year with it and it is still razor sharp. I do keep a little sharpener in my pack that has the ceramic wheels on it to throw a quick edge on knives though. Works good enough and weighs next to nothing

Schism

May 2, 2011
North Dakota
Havalon! I personally have the Havalon Tracer version as it will accept different sized blades. It seems the Piranta is more popular among hunters.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
I carry three knives that have very high quality steel (Kershaw Sandvick 14C28). I can field dress and debone an elk without resharpening. But I am seriously considering the Havalon knives. I just love my Kershaws so much i would feel lonely without em.