How do you grind your burger?

JarredS

Apr 19, 2017
North Idaho
I grind twice, and sounds like a similar process to you. I usually don't add any fat to most of mine, because I use it for meat sauces, chili, etc, more than burgers, I and can add ingredients based on what I'm doing with it. With that said, when I do, I always add pork fat and have never had problems. Could be the beef fat...also find it works best when I use very cold meat.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Late to this party. I use a $100 Northern Tool grinder and when that goes will get a decent LEM.

I grind once using the fine plate. Don't use any additional fat or meat - just straight venison that has been "course trimmed" - I cut off the easy to remove silver-skin and such but don't go crazy doing it. IMO, that's the the grinder is for.

I'm in the south, in a city so I age my meat in quarters in a cooler - add ice as necessary and pour off melt-water 2x day. Will cut steaks and roasts one night as I bone the meat. The next night I grind. Often cut the meat in strips as opposed to cubing, really depends on mood. I don;t think there is a right or wrong way to do it.

We used to mix the venison 50-50 or 75-25 with fatty hamburger but not so much anymore.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I'm a stickler when it comes to removing all the silver skin before grinding meat. Even though the grinder will catch a lot of it, the stuff that gets cut up into little peices still end up as chewy little peices in the meat and I really hate that. There are no chewy bits on our burger. That is one of the reasons I quit having burger made at my proccessor, they just throw all the scraps in the grind pile. Yuk!
But to each their own.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Agree Gr8. If it isn't red, it doesn't go in my burger. I end up with a little less burger but the end result is burger with great texture and taste.