Help me decide...

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Colorado muzzleloader elk or Wyoming pronghorn. Both hunts happen around the same time so I can only do one.

Currently sitting on 5 WY pts which gives me some options. I have no points for elk in CO but it is closer than WY.

Let me know what you all think.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would wager that you are going to need at least 1 point if not more for a muzzle loader elk tag in Colorado.

So I would just buy a point in Colorado and put in for Wyoming and cross my fingers.

Reactions: THelms and prhunter

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Unless you know the area and have done some scouting in advance of the season, Colorado M/L could be really tough. It has archery season for several weeks before M/L opens and there could be lots of bow hunters in your area.

Good advice from Jim.

Reactions: prhunter

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Id say looking at your points situation id go with WY antelope. With 5 points you should be able to draw a decent unit with good public ground access.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
If where you are planning to hunt in Wyoming is North of I-80 you will be fine, but that last snow storm may have put a hurting on the deer and antelope in that corridor.
Not to hijack this thread but I am curious if the area around Casper got pounded with that storm. I am thinking about taking my daughter to hunt antelope near Casper and got concerned when I seen the pictures from the storm.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I would wager that you are going to need at least 1 point if not more for a muzzle loader elk tag in Colorado.

So I would just buy a point in Colorado and put in for Wyoming and cross my fingers.
Quick WY question:
does an applicant lose their PP from drawing their first choice or can they be lost by drawing 2nd or 3rd choice? Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I believe that you only loose them when you draw your first choice.

Someone smarter than me will be here to really answer your question. For some reason I am not able to draw a tag in Wyoming, I just sit just outside of the points required every year. The unit that I am putting in for antelope only took 3 points 7 years ago. Not it takes 8

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
You only lose your points on first choice draws and if you look hard there are some good antelope hunts in WY that can be had as a second choice. You'll have to most likely hunt private (pay to play) but you can draw those 2nd choice tags virtually every year and still build points for a top tier unit. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me. TagHub will show you ALL those possibilities! https://taghub.eastmans.com/