Handgun in the backcountry?

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
In Griz country.....get a .44 mag. I would rather have more than I need when its standing over my tent. I carry a .357 mag with special beat loads a friend loads for me. I feel comfortable with that in most places. We also sleep head to toe when we have rifles so each guy can shoot opposite directions quickly. That's an Alaska guide trick.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
I pulled the trigger last week and bought a glock 10mm. Shoots really good. I made some steel go ding. I was so impressed as we shot it out to 100yrds and with a leaning rest were 5 for 5 on a 16 inch steel at 100yrds.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We also sleep head to toe when we have rifles so each guy can shoot opposite directions quickly. That's an Alaska guide trick.
Never thought about that...seems like a good idea.

A few years back I went on a guided elk hunting trip to Thorofare in the Teton Wilderness right near the SE corner of the Park. Lots of wolves and Grizzlies. Outfitter would not let anyone keep a gun in their tent cabin, had to be kept in the dining hall. Camp had an electric fence around it, lots of cans on wires for noisemakers and dogs. Several nights the dogs really started to bark...felt pretty naked without a gun.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Never thought about that...seems like a good idea.

A few years back I went on a guided elk hunting trip to Thorofare in the Teton Wilderness right near the SE corner of the Park. Lots of wolves and Grizzlies. Outfitter would not let anyone keep a gun in their tent cabin, had to be kept in the dining hall. Camp had an electric fence around it, lots of cans on wires for noisemakers and dogs. Several nights the dogs really started to bark...felt pretty naked without a gun.

I heard a noise in the middle of the night one time in the back country and then 3 seconds later a big stick fell out of a tree and hit my tent. If I had a pistol, I would have been shooting....and potentially needed a new tent...So I can relate. Kinda...lol

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I heard a noise in the middle of the night one time in the back country and then 3 seconds later a big stick fell out of a tree and hit my tent. If I had a pistol, I would have been shooting....and potentially needed a new tent...So I can relate. Kinda...lol
So I guess you only needed to replace your drawers! :p
My first trip west I was looking and listening at everything. Luckly my mind made the trip more eventful than it actually was-lol
Still tagged out, but made for a better experience.

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
What do the guys with the glock 20 in 10mm recommend in regards to a chest style holster?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have a S&W 329pd. Very light=not pleasant to shoot
I have not bought one for that reason. My Redhawk 44 mag is like 56oz empty and still seems to have plenty of recoil, about as much as I want. I have a S&W 386 XL Hunter in 357 that I love and shoot really well. It weighs the same as the 4.2" 5 shot Ruger SP101 it replaced. The recoil on the light 357 with hot loads is not bad at all for me, the grips and full size frame really seem to tame it. I wondered if even good grips could do much on a 44 that light though.

I'm looking at going with a Springfield 10mm 1911 if I change from my 357. It's not the lightest but is lighter than my 44. It has all the features I want. It's available in a 6" barrel with tritium night sights and an adjustable rear sight. It also has the rail under the barrel if I ever want to put a light on at night sleeping in bear country. I am a trigger snob after shooting bolt rifles, 1911's, and revolvers for so many years with worked over triggers. I don't shoot the striker fired stuff as well or I'd look at Glock or a Springfield XD. I want to stick with what I shoot best.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
I have not bought one for that reason.
Pretty sure this is why I got a smoking deal on it used with 2 full boxes of ammo. Probably shot a couple of times and the previous owner decided that was enough. Great to carry though, almost forget it's there

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
40, but I don't have any revolvers.

I have seen both fairly common, between the 357 mag and the 45 long colt. with the edge going to the 357.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are not in grizzly country then just about any handgun that you feel comfortable in packing will work. The biggest problem is the two legged kind and not the four legged kind, even black bears will run away if then sense a human. That is as long as you don't get between a sow and her cubs.

So in other words pack what you like. I usually have my .40 with me at all times unless I am packing my .44mag. But I have packed all of them at one time or another. Every thing from a .22lr on up.

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
I don't carry in the back country usually if I'm not in griz country. I carry around town though

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
44mag,

always wondered about the 10mm vs 45acp... energy vs momentum..?
Not sure how 1 compares to the other on penetration?

of course the 10mm can hold more ammo, but not really worried about needing 14rounds vs. 7?

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Glock 20 (10mm auto) for general self defense in most areas. In grizzly country or if I think I might want to hunt with it, a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 rem mag. When I don't want to pretend to be Rambo, just a can of bear spray. Bear spray works on bears and humans, and there's a lot less "splainin" to do later...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
44mag,

always wondered about the 10mm vs 45acp... energy vs momentum..?
Not sure how 1 compares to the other on penetration?

of course the 10mm can hold more ammo, but not really worried about needing 14rounds vs. 7?
I looked into this and believe the 10mm to be better for a variety of reasons. Loaded right, and your reaching .41mag abilities but in a lighter weapon. I did a lot of research on what weapon to purchase and settled on the Glock 20- 10mm slim frame and couldn?t be happier. I just would not want to force myself to carry a heavy pistol as it would eventually stay at camp or home doing me no good.
Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I took a Canadian mountain biking in Idaho. He was amazed at how many people in the woods pack.
So many people around here pack, I doesn't even register it, but to him it was eye opening.