Gunnison now “locals only”

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
They are joining San Juan county in closing all public lands with the exception of folks with a local residence.

Other counties are going to follow suit. Sounds like they are planning to keep it closed through July..

D6BFC645-F12C-4A8F-81A5-3228C26CC99C.jpeg

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I agree with Scott. I really feel sportsmen need to push back in some of these circumstances. I'm worried that we are allowing things to happen now out of fear and will regret not pushing back in the future. Nebraska closing turkey season is an example... I personally think it's ridiculous that is targeted while so many other activities and businesses have so much higher risk.
Allowing leaders to pick and choose without any recourse is not good for anyone.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Yea I see it as a way to keep folks safe. That should be the #1 priority..

Actually us nr have lost a lot more in Wyoming with the no nr in wilderness rule. This closure will pass in a month maybe a year at most and I wonder if it will spark you wyo boys to look out for our Nr civil rights up there 👍?? Or our rights don’t matter up there I guess?? Seems we already lost those forever in wyo without the same level of outcry? Guess most folks like what directly benefits them eh??

Yea strange times.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I live in Nebraska for what it's worth. I don't agree with the wyo law either. My point is some government officials are specifically targeting sportsmen and showing a disregard for other activities/businesses that are at minimum equal risk.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I agree that the health and wellness of the nation is #1 priority.

They just released this for the entire state of Florida:

"ORLANDO, Fla. - Governor Ron DeSantis says he is signing an executive order that will limit people to only essential errands outside their home. Residents must stay home outside of these essential errands.

The "stay-at-home" order will begin on April 2nd at midnight. It will last for 30 days."

Not targeting sportsmen. No more anything for anyone around here.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
That order is already in place in Colorado, but I can see Highway 24 from my house (the major road from Colorado Springs west into the mountains) and there's still a lot of traffic on it.
I don't think everyone is taking the "essential travel only" order seriously.

Reactions: Hilltop

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
This thread has had a point since I put it up today and it was not to bash on the nr wilderness rule in wyo. The point is that Gunnison has a history in this arena. I doubt folks in 1918 were thinking there civil rights were violated...

It would behoove us all to pay attention to this lesson..

speezer87

Apr 12, 2017
Cant help but notice it says Gunnison County public lands, Not all public lands. I would be surprised if a county could close down Federally owned land, or even state owned land