Gun/scope combo

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
I just pulled the trigger on a Tikka 300 t3x win. mag and couldn’t make up my mind on scope. I ended up getting a vortex viper 6.5x20x50. I’m guessing most say too much scope but it was also a deal I couldn’t pass up. It was under $400. Thoughts? Opinions?

Reactions: HuskyMusky

memtb

OK......opinions! Much like other things, everybody has one! 😁 I see it as a potentially valid case that it’s “too” much scope.....depending upon it’s desired use and the terrain it is to be used in!

For small varmints at extended ranges.....great selection! For big game at extended ranges, where the possibility for a shot under 100 yards...not so great an option.

For my hunting terrain, and my self-imposed max range of 600 yards, “too” much scope.....at least on the low end. I like fairly low powers on the bottom-end.... 2 to 4 power! If close shots will primarily be the norm., no more than 3 x on the low end!

There you have it.......an opinion! 😉 memtb

Addendum: worst case scenario, you’ve got a great scope for developing loads.....while you keep an eye open for a scope ideal for your type of hunting! It’s certainly usable.....but, a handicap on “up close and personal” situations!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I just pulled the trigger on a Tikka 300 t3x win. mag and couldn’t make up my mind on scope. I ended up getting a vortex viper 6.5x20x50. I’m guessing most say too much scope but it was also a deal I couldn’t pass up. It was under $400. Thoughts? Opinions?
if yer happy I am happy!

congrats! sounds like a fine set up to me.

folks above covered it. might be a lil much in timber but I spect you'll be fine in most situations.

no such thing as "to much power!"- tim the tool man

augh augh augh!

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For your effective shooting range I would suggest that there is no need for more power than 14x unless you are planning on popping gophers at 400 yards.

I'll also say that you have limited yourself to longer ranges with the lowest power of 6.5 where is you see something close all you are going to see if fur.

I have a 6.5x20 on a 22-250 for popping gophers at long range and wouldn't ever think of putting it on a big game rifle.

Reactions: memtb

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
The 6.5x low end seems high for close up shooting but if you are mountaintop shooting, it'll serve well. Now go shoot an elk at 30 yards with it - just keep both eyes open and you'll be fine!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Way back when Leupold offered a 6.5 x 20 in their VXIII, I thought it would be a great scope for my 25-06 for antelope. I bought one and it just was not that great. Not the scopes fault, just the buyers! Field of view at 20x is very limited as mentioned. I forgot and left mine set at 20 and let a nice buck get away because I couldn't find him in the scope at first. By the time I realized what was happening and got it turned down to 6 or 8, he was hauling butt away from me.

I replaced it with a VXIII 4 x 14 and it is really great. I put the 6.5 x 20 on my .220 Ackley Swift and the prairie dogs have really suffered since then. It is really great for that application.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There have been studies that a 40mm objective lets in almost the same amount of light as a 50mm one does. A 44mm should be about right.
If you have never hunted out west you will find that a 14x scope on a big game rifle is just fine for the ranges that you are going to be shooting at. While the shots can be long cross canyon shots most are still withing 400 yards.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I have a 4-12 Redfield Illuminator. It is the glass equivalent of the modern Viper, maybe a little better and has a heavier. more visible reticle. I'd sit with it on 6x for generic stand sitting with shots to 250 yards.