Gun recommendation

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Just in case someone wants to invest the time, there are multiple ways to make 7mm WSM from either 270 or 300 WSM. Most involve making a false shoulder on the 300 case then fire forming. Guys with a bunch of 270 wsm brass have been known to open it to a 300 wsm, then do the false shoulder dance. Thats working your brass quite a bit. But some start with the 270 case, open it to hold a .284 pill, then seat a bullet long into the 7mm lands, then fire form, which is the "easiest" method I know of, but still a pain IMO.
Yes you could make 7mm brass from 270 or 300. I meant its not as simple as just resizing it to 7mm. you would also end up with a shorter neck then then factory brass and less to hold the bullet. Weather that could be an issue or not I dont know. I would not recommend seating the bullet out touching the lands to fireform brass. That can create dangerously high pressures and potentially blowup your gun.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I don't recommend anything MM, just airing possibilities, in the event someone just has to have 7mm wsm brass..

But, bullets touching the lands is a very common fire forming technique, often used. Biggest issue I know of is if you have it too tight, try to unchamber the round, bullet sticks and powder gets all over your action. Not aware of any actions blown up by it being done properly, but anything is possible I guess.

The key is doing it right, correct powder, correct charge, etc. Avoid doughnuts, etc. Follow a proven process, no different than any other hand load. Do any hand load wrong and you can have a big bang followed by the sound of metal falling...

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
[video]https://youtu.be/leskuVTzv_o[/video]

Little over your budget number, but it's a really good rifle, especially for the price.
Those look like great rifles, especially for the $. Jewell trigger and cerakote too. They look to me like what HS Precision was until their base gun got closer to 4k than 2k. If ya can free up the extra $450, looks like a great option.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Those look like great rifles, especially for the $. Jewell trigger and cerakote too. They look to me like what HS Precision was until their base gun got closer to 4k than 2k. If ya can free up the extra $450, looks like a great option.
I agree. I already put a call into them to get some more info.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Just got off the phone with one of the owners. You called it pretty well Tim, he used to work for HS Precision.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Just got off the phone with one of the owners. You called it pretty well Tim, he used to work for HS Precision.
You have got to be kidding me. Hahaha. Well if so, get one before they figure out the demand/price curve. Makes me wonder if he is cutting his own barrels too or getting them from HS. Does't really matter, because if they guarantee 1/2 moa with match or hand loads, they shoot. I'd guess using the Rem 700 action helps keep cost down vs HS, but the Jewel trigger, nice. I suspect one may find a factory load or two that nears 1/2 moa, but surely would find several hunting factory loads that would hold 3/4 is moa. At least that has been my experience with the two semi-custom rifles I shoot.

Let us know what you decide.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
You have got to be kidding me. Hahaha. Well if so, get one before they figure out the demand/price curve. Makes me wonder if he is cutting his own barrels too or getting them from HS. Does't really matter, because if they guarantee 1/2 moa with match or hand loads, they shoot. I'd guess using the Rem 700 action helps keep cost down vs HS, but the Jewel trigger, nice. I suspect one may find a factory load or two that nears 1/2 moa, but surely would find several hunting factory loads that would hold 3/4 is moa. At least that has been my experience with the two semi-custom rifles I shoot.

Let us know what you decide.
As a part of the package they shoot each gun and provide you with either factory ammo that will meet the 1/2 MOA or a recipe if you are a reloader.

Vikingload

Jun 12, 2015
Powell WY
Looks like a good gun! I agree with the 7wsm ammo being scarce. I have seen that HSM has some back in stock, but it's been tough to find good ammo for that caliber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAKAIRA

Oct 8, 2011
Aptos,Ca
I have been seeing some great deals on Long Range Hunting and 24 hour campfire lately.I think some of those guns change custom guns like under wear!I got my HS Precision in 300 wsm for around $1,800 with load developement.
For you price range I would be looking at a semi custom using a700 action.
Also check out the Kimberly Montanas as they feel great especially if carrying up and down mountains.Heck if it didn't shoot as well as you want just rebarell it.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I don't recommend anything MM, just airing possibilities, in the event someone just has to have 7mm wsm brass..

But, bullets touching the lands is a very common fire forming technique, often used. Biggest issue I know of is if you have it too tight, try to unchamber the round, bullet sticks and powder gets all over your action. Not aware of any actions blown up by it being done properly, but anything is possible I guess.

The key is doing it right, correct powder, correct charge, etc. Avoid doughnuts, etc. Follow a proven process, no different than any other hand load. Do any hand load wrong and you can have a big bang followed by the sound of metal falling...
Ackley talks about guns blowing up from seating the bullet into the lands to fire form brass. The Hornady handbook shows how pressures can spike to dangerous levels from seating the bullet out to the rifling. I have never tried it myself.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Don't know about that particular Ackley reference, but know he did lots of things we'd probably not recommend today, including tests till action failure. Interesting guy, read some of his stuff, ran across a rifle he built at a gun shop in Forest Grove about 8 years ago. So said the owner anyway.

Full house regular loads seated touching can spike pressure and I am sure cause an over pressure if not worse problems. That is why many fire forming loads use different & often lighter loadings and faster burning powders, designed for that purpose, and often involve the bullet just touching the lands. For some fire forming, guys use very little powder, then fill the case with corn meal, and plug it with a tissue/wad. Go figure!

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I personally would buy a 300WSM before a 300WM in the Browning line up just due to the 26" barrel on the WM. The WSM has a 23" barrel that is handier to pack. I carried a A bolt 270WSM one year with the 23" pipe on a muley hunt where the weather was downright hot. My buddy had a Weatherby 270 Weatherby magnum that had a 26" barrel he had just bought, he was used to carrying an old 22" Winchester M70 in 270 win. We ended up hunting a lot of dark timber because that's where the deer were during daylight and he was constantly cussing his new gun's barrel.

Depending on where you hunt a long barrel can be a disadvantage or not. I use a 25" barreled 264 win mag for most of my open country whitetail and antelope hunting. I like a shorter lighter gun for mixed or thick cover. I have a 300WM custom gun with a 23.5" barrel that gets 2956fps with 180gr Accubonds that I use out West and it's a bit longer than I like in thick cover. A 300WM needs a fair amount of barrel to perform though, so I hated to go much shorter. It's not as handy as the old A bolt with a short action and 23" barrel for sure.