Gun recommendation

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I'm looking at getting a 300 win mag for some of the larger game that I will be hunting. Mostly backpack style hunting.
I would consider a 300WSM if you plan to backpack a bunch. The short action will be a bit lighter and nicer to pack on that type of hunt.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
How difficult is it to get brass and ammo for a 300WSM I know my 7WSM is impossible to find brass and only super cheap ammo.
I reload so buying ammo really isn't an issue but if brass is not available then that becomes an issue. The 300WSM ammo seems to be much more available then the 7WSM at least around me. I actually was really considering a 7WSM but I cant seem to find a gun unless I go custom.

brianboh

Jun 4, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I reload so buying ammo really isn't an issue but if brass is not available then that becomes an issue. The 300WSM ammo seems to be much more available then the 7WSM at least around me. I actually was really considering a 7WSM but I cant seem to find a gun unless I go custom.
Browning makes one but DO NOT BUY a 7wsm. The only people that make brass is Federal and Winchester. For the past several years they have not made extra only enough to fulfill their cheap loads. I just thought I heard it was difficult to find the 300wsm too.

HiMtnHnter

Sep 28, 2012
Wyoming
It's not too tough to find 300 wsm ammo. I usually buy loaded factory and use the brass.

If you're looking for a mountain rig, check out those from Sako and Kimber. The new kimber mountain rigs look nice, and very light.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I see decent 270 and 300 wsm availability. The 300 WSM has nearly cracked the top 10 on some lists of top 10 most popular rifle cartridges. I suspect both will be viable longer than I will. As far as the 7mm wsm, it appears to be almost done. I believe the 7mm wsm shoulder is a bit further forward than 270/300 wsm, much like the 280 Rem vs the 270/30-06, so making 7 mm wsm from 270/300 wsm is doable, but not so easy.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The 300WSM has lots of ammo and brass avaliable. So does the 270WSM. The 7mm WSM is a good cartrige but it never really caught on and brass and ammo are scarce. It is slightly longer to prevent accidentally chambering it in a 270WSM so you cant just make brass for it from 270 or 300 brass.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
I have posted many time that I like the performance of the Browning Abolt with BOSS. Recently I hunted with a friend that has a new Tika Lite. I think it is Sako components, I was really impressed with the feel and balance of the Tika.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
The 300WSM has lots of ammo and brass avaliable. So does the 270WSM. The 7mm WSM is a good cartrige but it never really caught on and brass and ammo are scarce. It is slightly longer to prevent accidentally chambering it in a 270WSM so you cant just make brass for it from 270 or 300 brass.
Just in case someone wants to invest the time, there are multiple ways to make 7mm WSM from either 270 or 300 WSM. Most involve making a false shoulder on the 300 case then fire forming. Guys with a bunch of 270 wsm brass have been known to open it to a 300 wsm, then do the false shoulder dance. Thats working your brass quite a bit. But some start with the 270 case, open it to hold a .284 pill, then seat a bullet long into the 7mm lands, then fire form, which is the "easiest" method I know of, but still a pain IMO.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
My local Cabela's has a Christensen Arms. What are the thoughts on Christensen Arms rifles?
They make some very good ones rifles. Is it new or used? What model is it? I think they make several grades, with varying accuracy guarantees, and price points.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
Go to cabelas online, they have Winchester 7mm wsm brass. If I remember, it's $38/50. You won't find that stuff any cheaper than that. If you can even find it at all.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
[video]https://youtu.be/leskuVTzv_o[/video]

Little over your budget number, but it's a really good rifle, especially for the price.